Carnival and RCI start-up dates difference

8 hours ago, harkinmr said:

How in the world does he know that Covid will "be gone" in October???  Seriously.

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

When did JH become the authority on COVID-19?

Don't shoot the messenger... that's just what I heard on an official announcement video provided by the company in regards to the next restart date available during the suspension of operations.

13 hours ago, beerman2 said:

One would think the CDC's plan would apply to all 3 and not 3 separate plans. That right there might be a reason it's taking so long.

NCL, RCI and Carnival probably can't even agree .

Rcl is saying their date is later to force more people into paying in full before next round of cancellations

No matter what dates were said, someone here would be reading the tea leaves and saying it means this or that. 

More than likely the date only matters for when the next round of cancellations are announced. Not with covid spiking the way it is. We need to find faster better treatments or get it more under control before cdc will allow cruising. 

I'm booked oct 4th. I'd love to go. I dont think the odds are good. 

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

During the last round of cancellations Carnival announced they were planning to resume cruising first on a limited basis on August 1st. Now RCI is planning to resume cruises on September 16th while Carnival is planning on October 1st. I don’t think it is a good sign when the two biggest cruise lines don’t even agree on a start date to resume operations. 

No collusion there.

Until the US gets covid under control it is hard to pick a start date. Cruise lines have no control over that.

I have a B2B scheduled in November. I sure hope they will be sailing then but even if they are I'm not holding my breath that my cruise will even be one of them. I'm not sending them another dime until final payment due date. In the meantime I'm socking it away in my cruise account. 

I know for me, I won't breath easy again when it comes to cruises until they actually start sailing. I'd just like to see one ship out there. Just one. It would be a start. 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is saying their date is later to force more people into paying in full before next round of cancellations

No matter what dates were said, someone here would be reading the tea leaves and saying it means this or that. 

More than likely the date only matters for when the next round of cancellations are announced. Not with covid spiking the way it is. We need to find faster better treatments or get it more under control before cdc will allow cruising. 

I'm booked oct 4th. I'd love to go. I dont think the odds are good. 

We are scheduled for a land Vacation same time on Gulf Coast of Fla. that was cancelled in April. Hoping we can all enjoy it.

Heard a report of several Bars in Texas that were shut down or had liquor licenses suspended. What have you heard?

Again that "Social Distancing " is going to continue to be a factor.

21 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

During the last round of cancellations Carnival announced they were planning to resume cruising first on a limited basis on August 1st. Now RCI is planning to resume cruises on September 16th while Carnival is planning on October 1st. I don’t think it is a good sign when the two biggest cruise lines don’t even agree on a start date to resume operations. 

It's called strategy.  RCI knows that there are people out there itching to cruise.  If they say they are going to cruise earlier than Carnival or NCL, people that don't care what line they cruise on are going to jump at the change to book with RCI.  That's money in their pockets even if they won't cruise until the CDC says they can.

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

We are scheduled for a land Vacation same time on Gulf Coast of Fla. that was cancelled in April. Hoping we can all enjoy it.

Heard a report of several Bars in Texas that were shut down or had liquor licenses suspended. What have you heard?

Again that "Social Distancing " is going to continue to be a factor.

More than several, like 80 or something all over texas. Just for a month though 

16 hours ago, bamaone said:

I believe Carnival will continue cancelling cruises as they have been until a vaccine is available or the virus dies out. The die out does not seem likely. While it seemed impossible a couple of months ago, the earliest start time will probably be March / April 2021. Hopefully Carnival can stay afloat. Some cruise lines will 

If you are waiting for a vaccine, then be prepared to wait years before you cruise.   Even after that, a vaccine won't protect against any evolved strains of the Corona virus. They are already seeing mutations of the virus.  Then there are people who don't get vaccines for various reasons.  If you are thinking this virus will be eliminated,  you are mistaken. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

If you are waiting for a vaccine, then be prepared to wait years before you cruise.   Even after that, a vaccine won't protect against any evolved strains of the Corona virus. They are already seeing mutations of the virus.  Then there are people who don't get vaccines for various reasons.  If you are thinking this virus will be eliminated,  you are mistaken. 

Never said I was waiting for a vaccine. I said I don't think Carnival will start cruising until this virus dies out or there is a vaccine.

Doesn't have to be eliminated, just not nearly as prevalent as things are at this time. For those not wanting a vaccine I completely understand. Maybe there can  be some non vaccinated cruises a couple times a year for those individuals. The only other alternative is everybody get the virus and create a natural immunity (which means it dies out) or we just open things up and accept the consequences. Which would make all the cancellations look pretty stupid at this point. Mine is just an opinion. But I would challenge everyone to not just post reasons why you disagree but to also offer possible solutions  for discussion.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:18 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Respectfully disagree.  Different operations to restart.  Different cruise itineraries to prepare for.  Decisions are made by the home office and staff and depend on how quickly each or any ship can get back up to operational status including needed crew.

There's no hidden between the lines messages here. No need to speculate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bamaone said:

Never said I was waiting for a vaccine. I said I don't think Carnival will start cruising until this virus dies out or there is a vaccine.

Doesn't have to be eliminated, just not nearly as prevalent as things are at this time. For those not wanting a vaccine I completely understand. Maybe there can  be some non vaccinated cruises a couple times a year for those individuals. The only other alternative is everybody get the virus and create a natural immunity (which means it dies out) or we just open things up and accept the consequences. Which would make all the cancellations look pretty stupid at this point. Mine is just an opinion. But I would challenge everyone to not just post reasons why you disagree but to also offer possible solutions  for discussion.

I dont want to be augmentative, but I was going on your first sentence. 

I believe Carnival will continue cancelling cruises as they have been until a vaccine is available or the virus dies out. The die out does not seem likely.

You stated its not likely the virus will die out.  So that leaves canceling cruises until there is a vaccine.  Your words, not mine. 

There have been numerous discussions here on possible solutions and it's ultimately not up to our suggested solutions.  We will just have to wait to see how it plays out.  In the end. I hope we all get to cruise again soon.

11 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I dont want to be augmentative, but I was going on your first sentence. 

I believe Carnival will continue cancelling cruises as they have been until a vaccine is available or the virus dies out. The die out does not seem likely.

You stated its not likely the virus will die out.  So that leaves canceling cruises until there is a vaccine.  Your words, not mine. 

There have been numerous discussions here on possible solutions and it's ultimately not up to our suggested solutions.  We will just have to wait to see how it plays out.  In the end. I hope we all get to cruise again soon.

I guess the point is I'm not waiting, but I think Carnival is waiting. So you mis-read my words