Fascination/Puerto Rico Cruises-Where are you

powderqn

Possible that Fascination is slated to be sold or scrapped.  Naturally, Carnival won't comment, since they would have to release all monies currently held by them for this ship's bookings once they do issue a statement.

They'll play the same game as the airlines, and won't make any cancellation announcements until the last minute possible.

In any event, ridding themselves of this old class of ships will make sense for Carnival, it's long overdue.  I know some folks are passionate about this class, but they are old and tired.  Many more, like me, stopped sailing them 15 years ago because of their age.  And the real diehards are often multi repeaters, who generally spend less on board a ship than the newcomers that Carnival depends on.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

We did this sailing many years ago.  I kept waiting for a different ship to repeat similar itinerary.  Loved the ports.  Decided it was not coming and booked for March 2020.  Cruise was cancelled and rebooked for June 2021 on new S. Caribbean itinerary.  Thinking already of a Plan B.  Rats!

• Like 1

Something is seriously up with these bookings from PR.  We are currently booked for the 2/21 sailing and our gift card payments were all transferred from 2 prior cancelled cruises to cover this one.  So we are paid in full by GCs..     I just looked in my bank account and we were given a refund of $70 from Carnival for some reason.  We did pay $199 in cash for deposits on a cancelled cruise. 

I'm confused.... if they cruise is cancelled I would expect $199 in cash.  The $70 almost feels like a port tax refund or something.  Is anyone else seeing anything similar?  

I booked a January 2022 Fascination cruise that is repositioning from SJU to Mobile. I noticed the Fantasy doesn't have anything scheduled past January of 2022. I think the fascination is replacing the fantasy and will stay in Mobile. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

Many lines will refund your port fees and taxes right away when they cancel a cruise but it may be months before they refund the cruise fare.

I haven't had a chance to call them yet but I have a feeling it's related to port fees...   Funny though I've received the refund since they haven't cancelled the cruises yet.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. This is what they had explained: 

At the moment, there has been no cancellations for cruises already booked out of PR. They took down the sailings up until Sept because they did not want to oversell any sailings. At the moment it is not clear what the CDC will allow Carnival to do so they aren't selling any further bookings until Sept and until they find out what restrictions (if any) they will have to abide by. 

If there are any cancellations, there will be an email but again, as of today there are no cancellations (Knock on wood).  

26 minutes ago, islacruzer said:

At the moment, there has been no cancellations for cruises already booked out of PR. They took down the sailings up until Sept because they did not want to oversell any sailings. At the moment it is not clear what the CDC will allow Carnival to do so they aren't selling any further bookings until Sept and until they find out what restrictions (if any) they will have to abide by. 

If there are any cancellations, there will be an email but again, as of today there are no cancellations (Knock on wood).  

That's seems to be their standard verbiage prior to cancelling.  I am kind of hoping they do cancel at this point.  All of the islands, including PR are requiring a negative COVID test within 3 days of arrival or a mandatory quarantine.  They are enforcing masks in public on all the islands and I am not doing that.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, islacruzer said:

This is such a lie. Why wouldn't they do this with all sailings, period?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

I haven't had a chance to call them yet but I have a feeling it's related to port fees...   Funny though I've received the refund since they haven't cancelled the cruises yet.

May be but $70 is a nice round number. Aren’t port fees normally not like that?  I don’t remember. 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:08 PM, Seacreature101 said:

In September 2022, Fascination sails from San Juan and ends in Mobile.  Looks like repositioning.  This is all so weird.  Just give us a good ship in San Juan to replace and what the heck about 2021???  ARGH!  (pirate voice please)

I hope they put a ship there after - It was a great trip out of PR!

So, the PR cruise in December is what we booked with our cancellation/OBC offer from the cruise we missed this summer. If the December cruise is cancelled, does the clock start again on when we have to book/use the original funds + $600 OBC? 

Realizing there probably isn't an answer out there, unless someone has already gone through this scenario. 

Edited by Runaway Parent

7 minutes ago, Runaway Parent said:

So, the PR cruise in December is what we booked with our cancellation/OBC offer from the cruise we missed this summer. If the December cruise is cancelled, does the clock start again on when we have to book/use the original funds + $600 OBC? 

Realizing there probably isn't an answer out there, unless someone has already gone through this scenario. 

I believe so. The sooner they cancel the sooner you have to use it. I have until May 31st to book for my canceled August cruise and I have until May 31st to book for my canceled Feb 2021 cruise.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 7/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, buckeyefrank said:

If they do end up cancelling these cruises, is anyone interested in purchasing about $1100 of carnival GCs for a good price 🙂

I have $1000 in GCs. But I'll be hanging on to mine in hopes I can cruise again.