Wait for cruise cancellation or do it myself?

DaisyGirl55

I have a BTB booked for 10/10/20 and the way things are looking I don't think it will sail.  I expect it to be cancelled, but will still be disappointed if it does.

Is it better to let Carnival cancel my cruise or should I pull the plug myself and re-book to next year?  We have over $600 OBC plus my DH has a 25th Milestone credit as well.  This cruise was actually a rebook from the cancelled Mardi Gras repositioning cruise.  I don't want to lose my credits, so should I wait?  Or am I going to lose them anyway if Carnival cancels my cruise?

We have three cruises booked for 2021.  Really hoping cruises start back up again soon.  The withdrawals are getting serious!

Do you have a lot of money tied up in deposits? If so, you have to start balancing the likely chances of bankruptcy verse the value of the OBC. If you want to get deposit money back wait until they officially cancel the cruise. I believe if Carnival cancels you still get the 600 OBC to apply to another cruise when you rebook.

I would not get my hopes up on cruising through the Spring of 2021.

39 minutes ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

I have a BTB booked for 10/10/20 and the way things are looking I don't think it will sail.  I expect it to be cancelled, but will still be disappointed if it does.

Is it better to let Carnival cancel my cruise or should I pull the plug myself and re-book to next year?  We have over $600 OBC plus my DH has a 25th Milestone credit as well.  This cruise was actually a rebook from the cancelled Mardi Gras repositioning cruise.  I don't want to lose my credits, so should I wait?  Or am I going to lose them anyway if Carnival cancels my cruise?

We have three cruises booked for 2021.  Really hoping cruises start back up again soon.  The withdrawals are getting serious!

If you cancel you lose the incentive to rebook. 

If you plan to rebook and want obc for the next booking, dont cancel. If the $600 is from incentive to book and it gets cancelled it goes away.

When is your final payment date? We have a cruise booked for October 19th, but since it's a 4 day cruise our final payment isn't due until August 20th. My PVP advised that we should wait until right before the final payment date to make a decision on cancelling. By August, they should know if the October cruises will sail or not. If Carnival cancels you, you'll get the additional incentives to rebook/compensation for the cancellation. She did tell me that Carnival will allow anyone who is booked in Oct/Nov/Dec this year to rebook their cruise within one year with no penalties, even if booked under Early Saver. So if Carnival hasn't cancelled you come your final payment date, you can at least rebook for later with no penalty. 

I'm hesitate to pay off my cruise and hope for a later cancellation. We have no intention of sailing in October now that sailings are cancelled through Sept. I want more than three weeks of sailing to have happened before I get on a boat. Esp. since I'm sailing with friends and not my family. I don't want to risk getting stuck away from my daughter and husband for a longer period of time. I want time to see how the sailings are going and seeing that the risk is contained before sailing. 

5 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

She did tell me that Carnival will allow anyone who is booked in Oct/Nov/Dec this year to rebook their cruise within one year with no penalties, even if booked under Early Saver.

I e-mailed my PVP last week since we have a final payment due July 13 for an October 11 cruise.  She said nothing about this - sounds like CCL isn't telling all of their PVPs everything.  Thanks for this info - this would certainly help us if that's the case.  I'll contact her again.  We currently have only deposits tied up in 4 cruises, and we aren't booking another cruise until they are running again, which will probably be a few years if any of them survive.  Bankruptcy for most, if not all, lines is looking more likely every day.  We are trying to minimize how much $$ we could possibly lose.

We had a cruise booked out of New Orleans on the Glory for October 11. Our final payment wasn’t due until July 28, but we decided to go ahead and cancel instead of trying to recover the entire amount if the cruise is cancelled. I really think that it probably will be but maybe not until August. Our deposit was $250 but it was not that much of a loss. However, I received an email from Carnival stating that they will apply $200 of the deposit to a future cruise fare if taken within the next two years. I don’t know if we will use it, but I do appreciate the offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

3 hours ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

If you don’t need the cash I would ride it out, save your OBC. 

36 minutes ago, austincruisers09 said:

Our deposit was $250 but it was not that much of a loss. However, I received an email from Carnival stating that they will apply $200 of the deposit to a future cruise fare if taken within the next two years. 
Sent from my iPad using Forums

So you only got hit with a $50 fee?  Ours is an ES fare, so if we cancel, it's my understanding that we'll get hit with a $50 per person fee. Deposit was $198, so $98 as a FCC, but if they go bankrupt, all is lost, in addition to our 3 other cruises.  But many have way more tied up than we do for sure.

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

They are not going bankrupt anytime in the near future.

I sure hope not, but for my $$ sake, DH and I have to hope for the best and plan for the worst and do what we feel is best for us.  A year ago, not one person on these boards could have predicted COVID-19 and what it's done to the US, not to mention the world......but here we are.  What a mess.

5 hours ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

I would hold off unless the ship your looking at have limited availability. Carnival is NOT going to add to the 600 OBC you already have. You just don't want to incur  any penalty cost.