Official Update on Mardi Gras and Radiance from Carnival

Just received an email and the Radiance will not be ready till spring 2021. Switching those that were to go on the Radiance to the Breeze plus giving $200.00 OBC for the inconvenience. We wanted to go on the Radiance because of the complete new make over. Not interested in the Breeze. We try now to do only new ships if at all possible.

So we will probably opt for the refund.

I'm sorry for those affected, but am excited about the Breeze coming to Canaveral since it is much closer to me (and my FIL lives in Orlando, so I'd save on hotel & parking). Hoping to transfer my FCC from my August Horizon cruise to one of the Breeze itineraries, assuming they become available and work in my budget/schedule. 

I've been concerned about Mardi Gras for a while. Luckily I booked for November 2021 instead of 2020. 

• Like 1

So am I supposed to believe that my October 10 cruise on the Breeze is going to happen?

Let me get this straight...cruising will start again on Oct 1, then one month later the ship moves to a different port?  There is only one listed cruise on the website for October from FLL, it is on Oct 31, and on the sunshine.  I swear when I looked last week it was on the Breeze.

Just cancel my cruise already.  I have airfare I might be able to change now, but not in 30 days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why not just have Magic replace Radiance, instead of Breeze replacing Radiance and Magic replacing Breeze, but from a different port? Seems like Carnival made it more complicated than it needed to be. Of course the way things are going these days, none of this will matter if cruise lines are still not operating next year. 

This makes more sense, to me. Many on the Breeze are understandably upset.

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed this in his video this morning.  To make a long story short, it seems Carnival wants to clear out of Ft. Lauderdale for now and keep their presence in Port Canaveral.

Carnival Cruise Line was never really big on Port Everglades. It’s always been limited compared to Miami a few miles away. Luckily the majority of Carnival Corporation’s premium lines choose to stick with Port Everglades though.

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

Dang it!  Second Mardi Gras cancellation for me.  Should I try for a third?  You betcha!

Missed by only two weeks.

Same for us... we were on the Jan 16 sailing. That one was a re-book from our April 2020 Breeze getting cancelled. 

So... we are now booked on the May 8 sailing of Mardi Gras. We’ll see if the third times a charm!

We scheduled the Breeze for April 2020.  It was cancelled. Rebooked on Radiance in December 2020 plus $600/cabin OBC.  Now, it's going to be Breeze plus additional $200/cabin OBC.   I'm ok with that.  If they'd said to go to FLL instead, that would be ok.

We got the notice today.  Expect to get our cabin assignments by the weekend.

Our Magic TA (13 March) just got displaced.  Only booked it last week and now have to wait forever for a refund.

So we get cancelled because Carnival decides to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic... Bye...

Edited by PaulMCO

15 hours ago, CarnivalCruiser875 said:

Official Update from Carnival this evening...

IMG1.jpeg

IMG2.jpeg

Well, we just made it, but it puts us on the first sailing of the Mardi Gras Feb 6, 2021, although my gut tells me this sailing may get cancelled too, not because of the ship being delayed, but because of Covid-19.  Time will tell though!!!

Still showing in my planner: 179 days until January 2 Mardi Gras.  🤷🏼‍♀️

I have to say I’m glad they decided this far in advance.  We have 3 cabins booked and have been going back and forth about cancelling.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DubNHub said:

Same for us... we were on the Jan 16 sailing. That one was a re-book from our April 2020 Breeze getting cancelled. 

So... we are now booked on the May 8 sailing of Mardi Gras. We’ll see if the third times a charm!

We are also booked on this May 8th cruise, from previously cancelled Oct. 16th on Mardi Gras.  Just looked couple weeks ago, thinking about upgrading our cabin, checked again just now and prices went way up with very limited rooms available.  Fingers crossed this cruise will remain on the books.  

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed this in his video this morning.  To make a long story short, it seems Carnival wants to clear out of Ft. Lauderdale for now and keep their presence in Port Canaveral.

That's not entirely true, since the Sunrise will be sailing from Port Everglades (at least in February 2021, when I looked). But those are 5 day cruises. Either way, watching John Heald's video he doesn't say why they are clearing out of Ft. Lauderdale, other than to say something vague about maximizing the value of their greatest asset, their ships.

I suspect, reading between the lines about the maximizing their assets bit, that there is some reason that it costs Carnival more money to sail from Port Everglades than from either Port Canaveral or the Port of Miami.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

30 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

We are also booked on this May 8th cruise, from previously cancelled Oct. 16th on Mardi Gras.  Just looked couple weeks ago, thinking about upgrading our cabin, checked again just now and prices went way up with very limited rooms available.  Fingers crossed this cruise will remain on the books.  

I started looking at replacement cruises as soon as I got the email this morning. Our April 2020 Breeze cruise was for our anniversary... didn’t happen. 

The Jan 2021 Mardi Gras was in between both of our birthdays (both in January)... not happening haha. 

So this May 8 will be for our anniversary, although it’s a week too late. I looked for a bunch of replacement Jan 2021 cruises but didn’t see anything terribly exciting, so we went for the make-up anniversary attempt. I consider us lucky with this May 8 sailing... we managed to get the last (or so we were told) extended balcony on the hump, deck 9 port. Our Jan 2021 cruise, we had a cove spa balcony. None of those were available for this cruise, so once all our monies transfer over, we just have a little over $100 to pay by February for this cruise haha.

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why not just have Magic replace Radiance, instead of Breeze replacing Radiance and Magic replacing Breeze, but from a different port? Seems like Carnival made it more complicated than it needed to be. Of course the way things are going these days, none of this will matter if cruise lines are still not operating next year. 

I'm sure they dont want things any more complicated than needed.  I was a manager with a major corporation and a lot of the decisions we had to make did not make sense to the rank and file.  Sometimes what seemed the most obvious answer simply wasn't viable.  Carnival was dealt a hand they weren't expecting and things had to be resolved in the easiest , most cost effective way to satisfy as many of their customers they can.  I dont want to hear that Carnival or any other company doesn't care about their customers.  Return customers are the milk and bread of any corporation.  

35 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

I started looking at replacement cruises as soon as I got the email this morning. Our April 2020 Breeze cruise was for our anniversary... didn’t happen. 

The Jan 2021 Mardi Gras was in between both of our birthdays (both in January)... not happening haha. 

So this May 8 will be for our anniversary, although it’s a week too late. I looked for a bunch of replacement Jan 2021 cruises but didn’t see anything terribly exciting, so we went for the make-up anniversary attempt. I consider us lucky with this May 8 sailing... we managed to get the last (or so we were told) extended balcony on the hump, deck 9 port. Our Jan 2021 cruise, we had a cove spa balcony. None of those were available for this cruise, so once all our monies transfer over, we just have a little over $100 to pay by February for this cruise haha.

Glad this all worked out for you!  Let’s just keep our fingers crossed! 😉

In a few days, Canival will announce another 3 months of cancellations...I don't think they wanted 2 bad PR items in one day. They also will announce a "NEW BARGAIN" on bookings....

Edited by topaz123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are (were) booked on Radiance Nov. 8, 2020, just got off Breeze this past March 7th, was looking forward to Radiance but at least we are familiar with the Breeze, hope it goes as scheduled.  

We always sail in aft facing cabins, hope they can book us in one on the Breeze as that's what we had on the Radiance, if not we will probably cancel.