The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Hoo boy, just want to express sympathy from the US to our neighbors to the north, whose country seems to be on fire.  Meanwhile, our northeast to the mid-Atlantic seems to be on a ten pack a day habit.  There was a ground stop today at LGA due to smoke. Really, never experienced anything like this. 

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Hoo boy, just want to express sympathy from the US to our neighbors to the north, whose country seems to be on fire.  Meanwhile, our northeast to the mid-Atlantic seems to be on a ten pack a day habit.  There was a ground stop today at LGA due to smoke. Really, never experienced anything like this. 

Seems like you are getting it today. Just saw the Baltimore skyline right now on CNBC and it looked every bit as bad as NYC. 

Patty

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

We can relate here in California!  It's so bad when going outside is so smokey even though the fire is quite far away!  Watching to see that they get it extinguished quickly!

~Nancy

Visions of September 2020 in the Bay Area due to numerous wildfires. I took this photo at 10:00am! 

image.thumb.jpeg.23187f0ae55e6825c4f9e8d94c1b283b.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Seems like you are getting it today. Just saw the Baltimore skyline right now on CNBC and it looked every bit as bad as NYC. 

Patty

Patty, fortunately things are a little bet better in the country but still pretty grim.

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Anthem of the Seas cruise out of Bayonne.  On June 8 we visited the private enclave of Labadee, Haiti:

dawn0608.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

Yeah, today is a Code Purple day. I didn't know there was a Code Purple.  Turns out, that's not even the worst rating.  That's Code Maroon.  I do not want to find out about code Maroon. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Visions of September 2020 in the Bay Area due to numerous wildfires. I took this photo at 10:00am! 

image.thumb.jpeg.23187f0ae55e6825c4f9e8d94c1b283b.jpeg

I remember a few years ago we flew into SFO to get on a Crystal cruise.  We were delayed a couple of hours by flow control caused by wildfire smoke. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I remember a few years ago we flew into SFO to get on a Crystal cruise.  We were delayed a couple of hours by flow control caused by wildfire smoke. 

Was that the San Francisco - New York in August, 2018 that was dirt cheap because who wants to do the Panama Canal in August? I remember being held for about an hour and half, but before we boarded the plane. 

Patty

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Was that the San Francisco - New York in August, 2018 that was dirt cheap because who wants to do the Panama Canal in August? I remember being held for about an hour and half, but before we boarded the plane. 

Patty

Yep, the semi-famous(or infamous) 8218.  That was a great cruise!  BTW, I'm the guy who retrieved your gizmo connection bag after you moved seats in the cruise terminal.

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Yep, the semi-famous(or infamous) 8218.  That was a great cruise!  BTW, I'm the guy who retrieved your gizmo connection bag after you moved seats in the cruise terminal.

Moved seats? 🤔

Did you insult Patty, or had you just been to lunch at nearby Taddich Grill and smelled a bit “crabby” 🦀? 🤔

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Moved seats? 🤔

Did you insult Patty, or had you just been to lunch at nearby Taddich Grill and smelled a bit “crabby” 🦀? 🤔

Huh?

No insult, she was sitting nearby and I happened to notice a cord baggie left behind on the floor when, for whatever reason, she moved seats in the terminal.

Sheesh, a guy does his one small kindness per decade and he gets accused of a hygiene issue.  Let's forget I mentioned it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sheesh, I was on 8218 but I don’t remember any air problem. 

Sadly, we did not meet Texas Tillie or KenzSailing! 

Luckily, we DID enjoy Patty’s company on a future cruise, and we did trivia together. i think that was the sailing where quite a nice group of us went into the computer room to show up on the web cam. Which cruise was that? That was a wonderful group photo.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Sorry, I have no recollection of that, but I have no recollection of lunch yesterday! 😱 And I don't even know what "bag" it could be. But, thanks!!

Patty

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, May B said:

Sheesh, I was on 8218 but I don’t remember any air problem. 

Sadly, we did not meet Texas Tillie or KenzSailing! 

Luckily, we DID enjoy Patty’s company on a future cruise, and we did trivia together. i think that was the sailing where quite a nice group of us went into the computer room to show up on the web cam. Which cruise was that? That was a wonderful group photo.

That's one reason why I was so disappointed when they discontinued the guest list. I played the, "I can't remember their names, but I'll go through the list and find every couple from Florida and narrow down the possibilities." 🤪

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

That's one reason why I was so disappointed when they discontinued the guest list. I played the, "I can't remember their names, but I'll go through the list and find every couple from Florida and narrow down the possibilities." 🤪

I'm pretty sure that was 8218, (LA), San Diego to New York:

groupshot.jpg

Trying to remember, had Crystal changed the numbering system before that cruise finally embarked?

@Drib (Apparently the name is not still active) captured the photo and posted it.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm pretty sure that was 8218, (LA), San Diego to New York:

groupshot.jpg

Trying to remember, had Crystal changed the numbering system before that cruise finally embarked?

@Drib (Apparently the name is not still active) captured the photo and posted it.

Roy

So my memory was partially right!

Terry is in the shadows.

Drib captured it and posted! Thank you, Drib, wherever you are! 

Good question about the numbering, Roy. Except I think 8218 was SFO to NYC.

And GREAT job, posting the photo AND knowing to whom we could attribute it, Roy. I actually suspected you’d be able to find it. Thank you for meeting my expectations. 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Sorry, I have no recollection of that, but I have no recollection of lunch yesterday! 😱 And I don't even know what "bag" it could be. But, thanks!!

Patty

Well, that's understandable, it was a while ago.  Although I am a little disappointed that my obvious charm and suave manners did not leave even the trace of an impression.

OTOH, maybe I saved the cord bag of another extremely distinguished looking(in a Texas royalty sort of way) solo traveler and I'm confused.  Don't think so, though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, that's understandable, it was a while ago.  Although I am a little disappointed that my obvious charm and suave manners did not leave even the trace of an impression.

OTOH, maybe I saved the cord bag of another extremely distinguished looking(in a Texas royalty sort of way) solo traveler and I'm confused.  Don't think so, though.

The part that I don’t understand is that I was totally unaware of you, here on CC, at the time. I thought I would remember a CC poster with such obvious charm, to use your own term. I certainly remember meeting Terry and Kerry, and actually everybody in the photo. Philip I knew from a previous cruise, and Carol, I think this was the cruise where we volunteered at Ronald MacDonald House in Charleston!

Editing to say that Terry and Kerry won most of the trivias! 

Edited by May B
  • Like 3