The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Today's sunrise is from my 2010 Crystal Symphony Trans-Pacific cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney.  March 15 was a sea day from Honolulu to Sydney:

IMG_1648dawn0315.jpg.thumb.JPG.74762e76dab34fbb2cca9699d251a69c.JPG

Roy

• Like 6

For those of us who remember Crystal Air

https://simpleflying.com/boeing-787-ex-vip-scrapped-parts-roswell

An 'Almost New' Ex-VIP Boeing 787 Will Be Scrapped For Spare Parts

….According to ch-aviation data, Boeing delivered the aircraft to Crystal Luxury Air, later renamed to Crystal AirCruises, a subsidiary of Crystal Cruises, which was planning to operate it as a VIP charter aircraft. In addition to the 787, the company acquired a Boeing 777-200LR and Bombardier Global Express XRS….

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from a 2017 land trip to Iguazu between cruises on Crystal Serenity and Zaandam.  On March 17 I was on a luxury bus from Buenos Aires to Iguazu:

dawn0317.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a 2017 land trip to Iguazu between cruises on Crystal Serenity and Zaandam.  On March 17 I was on a luxury bus from Buenos Aires to Iguazu:

dawn0317.jpg

Roy

Roy, you truly have put together many fabulous trips. While it’s sad that your travel days may be a thing of the past, it’s also true that you have designed many beautiful trips full of wonderful memories. I am so appreciativ3 of your willingness to share these memories with us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, May B said:

Roy, you truly have put together many fabulous trips. While it’s sad that your travel days may be a thing of the past, it’s also true that you have designed many beautiful trips full of wonderful memories. I am so appreciativ3 of your willingness to share these memories with us.

There's a bit of a story behind this one.  I do fly but really don't like it but this is a trip that never would have occurred to me on my own.  After the Serenity segment Buenos Aires to Rio I was looking for a way to get home and first considered a cruise that was available from Santiago but options for getting there from Rio were not good.  The Zaandam cruise was longer and from Buenos Aires but I liked it.  I lucked out with an easy flight on Emerates (my only time there) but several days still between cruises.  I was originally thinking I would need to fly to Iguazu, but I had a Symphony cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami in 2016.

A lady joined the Symphony in Valparaiso for the return to Miami, and joined my trivia team.  She really does not fly but was touring South America with her husband.  and had to get there and back.  She found a Queen Mary 2 segment to Rio to get to South America and then Symphony to get back, and she described her bus travels.  Conditions vary by country with some having onboard meal service and others making appropriately timed stops at restaurants, and seats resembling business class on an airplane.

I would never have done this just on my own but Viator had a tour with exactly wanted so I decided that was what I would do.  In Brazil, the meals are served onboard.  My bus:

mybus.jpg

The upper level was the deluxe class and the lower level for the equivalent of probably premium economy.  This is my seat at night:

busnight.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise, from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  March 25 was a sea day on Crystal Symphony from Nuka Hiva to Pitcarin Island.

dusk0325.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

Today's sunrise is sort of from my 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America cruise.  The cruise had ended by March 26 but this is from the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station before boarding the train home:

dawn0326.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal Serenity cruise from Singapore to Cape Town.  On March 27 we arrived in Cape Town:in the early evening after rounding Cape Horn:

dawn0327.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is from my first combination of cruises and the first time I did a live thread on Cruise Critic.  It was Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney followed by a Queen Victoria World Cruise segment Bangkok to Dubai.  On March 28, 2010, Queen Victoria was at sea from Phuket to Cochin:

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.e1821e30b49cde4768d4a

Roy

• Like 6