Need help with stateroom selection

Hello everyone,

We are considering to book a cruise on Anthem of the Seas for the next year. It will be 3 of us (me my wife and our 30 years old daughter). Our options are:

1M Spacious Ocean View 214 sqft

XB Balcony Guarantee 198 sqft

1D Ocean View Balcony 198 sqft

WS Suite Guarantee 267 sqft

J1 Junior Suite with Large Balc 276 sqft

This is Musical cruise, so we probably will be spending very little time in the cabin. Balcony is nice but not critical, and I see that 1M (Ocean View) is actually slightly larger than Balcony.

The suite has more sqft, but I see that this is basically same configuration as Balcony, just slightly larger. Is it significant? Do you really feel the difference in terms of space, considering we are 3 people? Are there any other significant advantages to book a suite? I know that some other lines have dedicated dining room for suites, but I didn't see anything similar at RCI. I would be willing to pay extra for a suite if I see significant advantages.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

If you book the suite guarantee you will most likely end up with jr suite.  Imo jr suite would be more suitable for 3 adults as the extra 70 +/- sq ft really does make a difference.   Plus larger bathroom and walkin closet with most jr suites.  If booking a suite guarantee rate is cheaper than jr suite rate I would go with that.  3 adults in ov or balcony  cabins would be very tight.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you book the suite guarantee you will most likely end up with jr suite.  Imo jr suite would be more suitable for 3 adults as the extra 70 +/- sq ft really does make a difference.   Plus larger bathroom and walkin closet with most jr suites.  If booking a suite guarantee rate is cheaper than jr suite rate I would go with that.  3 adults in ov or balcony  cabins would be very tight.

Thank you.

WS Suite Guarantee is GBP 2,462 for three of us and J1 Junior Suite is GBP 2,662. Not a huge difference, but still GBP 200 - the question is can I end up with "bad" suite?

If you book the J1 with large balcony, you could also try to book your daughter in the adjoining Studio so she has her own room.  The rooms are accessed through a common vestibule, which locks and provides access only to keys coded for the rooms within while each room also has its own access.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you.

WS Suite Guarantee is GBP 2,462 for three of us and J1 Junior Suite is GBP 2,662. Not a huge difference, but still GBP 200 - the question is can I end up with "bad" suite?

If cabin location is not an issue then the suite guarantee 200 less pp would be worthwhile.  If you prefer to pick your own cabin then paying 200 more OP is up to you.  Imo there is no bad suite.

I have sailed on Anthem several times and if my memory is correct all the jr suites are in middle or hump cabins so location should be great for everyone.  Maybe take a look at deck plan for anthem on this site.  I recommend the suite guarantee fare.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you.

We have done a suite guaranty on Anthem a couple of times and ended up with a two bedroom grand suite on one sailing and a JS on the other sailing.  The JS we got was what used to be called a Spa JS.  It had a split bathroom, one bathroom had a sink and toilet, other had sink, tub and a separate stand alone shower.  If you do go with the suite guaranty, just know there are three different types of JS on Anthem.  Ours was on deck 13 and was under the kitchen area of Coastal Kitchen and there was lots of noise from above when they were cleaning that area late at night.  Loved the location but hated the noise.  The two bedroom GS was wonderful with two full bathrooms (one with a tub), a huge balcony with a dining table and a large living room in addition to the two separate bedrooms.  

• Thanks 1

Hi

We have sailed on Anthem several times and there are different types of junior suites.

The J1 with Large Balcony is our favorite.    It’s what you think of as the traditional junior suite.  The balcony is larger than the other junior suite balconies, triangular in shape with actual lounge chairs (rather than chair and foot rest).  It has one bathroom with a bathtub/shower combination.

They have renamed the other junior suites J3 and J4 but they used to be family junior suite and spa junior suite.  I may have the 3 and 4 mixed up.  We tried the spa junior suite once.  While smaller than the J1 junior suite, it has an interesting bathroom set up with two smaller bathrooms.  One has a toilet and sink.  The other has a bathtub, separate stand up shower, and sink.  The family junior suite we haven’t tried but I believe that also has two bathrooms but it’s a toilet and sink in one and a toilet, sink, shower/tub combination in the other.  While we prefer the J1 for the two of us, for 3 adults sharing a cabin one of the split bathroom combinations may be useful to allow more people to get ready at once.

I have done reviews of my sailings on Anthem (linked in my signature) with pictures of the different cabins we stayed in.  Most of them were J1 Junior Suites with large balcony, but we had the spa junior suite once, a Grand Suite, and a regular balcony also.

Whichever you choose you won’t go wrong, Anthem is a great ship.

If you have any questions just ask, I’m happy to try to help.

Stay safe

Noreen

• Thanks 1

I'd go with the guarantee JS.  We have sailed in several junior suites on Anthem and none of them had a walk-in closet like on other classes of RCCL ships.  There is plenty of closet space though.  Love the split baths.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lovelife said:

I'd go with the guarantee JS.  We have sailed in several junior suites on Anthem and none of them had a walk-in closet like on other classes of RCCL ships.  There is plenty of closet space though.  Love the split baths.

I don't think the JS on Anthem have walk in closets either.  Our two bedroom GS had a small walk in closet across from the small bedroom but not like the walk in closets on other class ships.

Thank you everyone for the responses. really appreciate it.

I don't care much about the location, my only concern would be to end up on deck 13 directly under some noisy activity on deck 14, like kitchen, where they might start moving chairs early in the morning or something similar. Otherwise doesn't really matter.

Once your cabin is assigned if you don't care for the location ask your TA or RCI directly if you booked with them to change locations....this can usually be done if it's the exact same category. Check out the location options online so you'll know what's available before you make the call.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered getting 2 cabins?  Maybe you and your wife book an ov balcony and book your daughter in interior with virtual screen across the hall from your balcony cabin?  This would probably be less expensive than 3 adults in suite guarantee.    If using the cabin for basically sleep time this might save you $$$$    there are pros and cons to each option. 

Another option may be to wait to book until rcl has offer for 3rd guest sails free or book now and reprice when that sale happens.

58 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Another option may be to wait to book until rcl has offer for 3rd guest sails free or book now and reprice when that sale happens.

I don't remember seeing 3rd guest sails free promotions, just Children sail free.  Have I been missing an interesting option?  

21 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I don't remember seeing 3rd guest sails free promotions, just Children sail free.  Have I been missing an interesting option?  

I'm probably wrong as I forgot it usually only 3rd and 4th guests/children that sail free.  My mistake. Sorry for any confusion.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Have you considered getting 2 cabins?  Maybe you and your wife book an ov balcony and book your daughter in interior with virtual screen across the hall from your balcony cabin?  This would probably be less expensive than 3 adults in suite guarantee.    If using the cabin for basically sleep time this might save you $$$$    there are pros and cons to each option. 

I checked it - in fact, booking even 2 inside cabins is similar price to booking a suite. For a suite, 3rd guest pays only around 100 GBP, while in interior she will be basically paying for 2 guests (there is almost no single occupancy discount).

12 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I checked it - in fact, booking even 2 inside cabins is similar price to booking a suite. For a suite, 3rd guest pays only around 100 GBP, while in interior she will be basically paying for 2 guests (there is almost no single occupancy discount).

One thing that you should look into before you book is whether this is a full charter or a partial charter and if you actually get suite benefits.  If this is a full charter, Coastal Kitchen might only be available to VIPs, not suite guests.  Crown and Anchor benefits will likely be different on a full charter too.

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

One thing that you should look into before you book is whether this is a full charter or a partial charter and if you actually get suite benefits.  If this is a full charter, Coastal Kitchen might only be available to VIPs, not suite guests.  Crown and Anchor benefits will likely be different on a full charter too.

According to this description Coastal Kitchen Dinner is available to all suites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

While then I guess you just have to go with the suite guarantee and who knows maybe you will get lucky and get a grand suite.    No matter which suite you get you will have an awesome trip.     the Anthem is a very nice ship with lots to do - all ages.     We play like kids when we sail on the Anthem - love the bumper cars.   Have fun planning!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Is dinner at Coastal Kitchen much better than the dining room in terms of food, service etc? Is it anytime dining or set times?

We enjoy dinner in Coastal Kitchen on Anthem.  Service is excellent and food is as well.  They have a delicious filet mignon on the first night, excellent, large lobster tails, a cauliflower steak my DH loves and much more.  If you are in a GS or higher, you will receive an email from the concierge and you can book dinner reservations prior to your sailing.  If you are in a JS, you will need to book once you board the ship.  It has opened at 5:30pm on most of our Anthem sailings but opened at 5pm our last sailing.  We make reservations for the week and then cancel as we go if we have a conflict with something else.

• Thanks 1