Regal to be based in Southampton - teamaking facilities?

Dorset Cruiser

50 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

thermostatically controlled tea pot.

Do you mean a kettle or a teapot - they are two totally different appliances.

You brew tea in a tea pot, using hot water from a kettle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

To brew a decent cup of tea boiling water is required. The hot water dispenser in the buffet area does not provide boiling water. It is best to not say anything regarding the 'tea' in the boxes.

I am not a tea drinker;  however, I do know that true tea lovers must have it boiling and like to steep the tea in containers.  I get it;  I drink black coffee thats it;  nothing fancy.

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I think he meant kettle for hot water

I assume the same, but was confused by the idea of a thermostatically controlled tea pot!

In the days of china tea pots, people used to use tea cosies,  normally made out of wool, with openings for the handle and spout, to keep the tea warm whilst it brewed. But I digress!

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I do know that true tea lovers must have it boiling

To be pedantic, it's best to let the water come off the boil for about 10 seconds before adding it to the tea. Using boiling water tends to scald the tea leaves, and destroys the flavour.

• Like 1

wowzz; thanks for the tea making lession.  Like I mentioned; I drink black coffee;  but my wife and sister both are tea drinkers.  Thermostatically crontrolled tea pot is most likely a teapot that has a thermostat in the lid and the lid has a probe that goes into the pot. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Made with a French Press (or cafetiere as it's known in Europe), I hope? 

No I do pour over.  I store my coffee beans in their bag in a special container that has no light or oxygen.  I grind my beans as my hot water is boiling.  I pour the grounds into my filter which is in the coffee cup.  Once the water boils I then do a 30 second pour; which activates the grounds and gets rid of the oxygen in the coffee.  You can see the coffee bubble up as the oxygen evaporates;  after 30 seconds; I then start second pour and so on.  It takes a minute and half from start to finish.  It is the best tasting fresh coffee I have ever had.  I use Starbucks French Roast Beans.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

No I do pour over.  I store my coffee beans in their bag in a special container that has no light or oxygen.  I grind my beans as my hot water is boiling.  I pour the grounds into my filter which is in the coffee cup.  Once the water boils I then do a 30 second pour; which activates the grounds and gets rid of the oxygen in the coffee.  You can see the coffee bubble up as the oxygen evaporates;  after 30 seconds; I then start second pour and so on.  It takes a minute and half from start to finish.  It is the best tasting fresh coffee I have ever had.  I use Starbucks French Roast Beans.

Thanks in turn for the coffee lesson.

Not a great fan of Starbucks in general - their coffee always seems too weak for my palate, especially after living in Spain for several years. Perhaps the French Roast is a stronger blend than that served in store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I was going to give you an upvote until I saw you used poor quality Starbucks' beans.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

wowzz; thanks for the tea making lession.  Like I mentioned; I drink black coffee;  but my wife and sister both are tea drinkers.  Thermostatically crontrolled tea pot is most likely a teapot that has a thermostat in the lid and the lid has a probe that goes into the pot. 

That would produce dreadful bitter tea.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

The "tea" you get from room service is basically a tea bag with hot, but not boiling water.  Awful!

You can also just get hot water if you bring your own tea. make your own.

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

You can also just get hot water if you bring your own tea. make your own.

Indeed, but the "hot" water is never sufficiently hot by the time it reaches your cabin. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:57 PM, wowzz said:

We are all different.  As Brits, we like a cup of tea before getting dressed in the morning, hence we like to have a kettle in the cabin. 

And we will never be up any earlier than 8:30 !

Yes we are all different; I am British and can't remember the last time I drank tea!  I have found that after a few days the International Cafe guys know how I like my coffee

1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

Yes we are all different; I am British and can't remember the last time I drank tea!  I have found that after a few days the International Cafe guys know how I like my coffee

You mean coffee made in the European style, rather than the insipid US concoction! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But can you sit there in your PJs and dunk your digestive? I think not. 

I was following along until the dunking comment - hate those bits floating in the tea !

Edited by Tedferg

12 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I was following along until the dunking comment - disgusting !

Surely you must have enjoyed the excitement of dunking your biscuit, and judging the exact monent to pull it out before it disintegrates into the cup!

Sometimes the smallest things give us the greatest pleasures!

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Surely you must have enjoyed the excitement of dunking your biscuit, and judging the exact monent to pull it out before it disintegrates into the cup!

Sometimes the smallest things give us the greatest pleasures!

No, I like the crunchiness of a biscuit and never saw the point of dunking. But, to each their own 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 9:32 PM, brisalta said:

I was going to give you an upvote until I saw you used poor quality Starbucks' beans.

To me the taste is great.  French Roast is the most bold that they make.  Yes they do make some bold roasts from Africa and other continents; but I like the smokey flavor of French Roast.