Regal to be based in Southampton - teamaking facilities?

Dorset Cruiser

On 7/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, wowzz said:

Do you mean a kettle or a teapot - they are two totally different appliances.

You brew tea in a tea pot, using hot water from a kettle. 

I stand corrected-We take a thermostatically controlled kettle to heat water, which we then use to put in another pot with coffee or tea.  I had to laugh, because I know how I feel when someone refers to a ship as a boat 🙂

22 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

I stand corrected-We take a thermostatically controlled kettle to heat water, which we then use to put in another pot with coffee or tea.  I had to laugh, because I know how I feel when someone refers to a ship as a boat 🙂

It was the "thermostatically controlled kettle" that confused me. Surely, all electric kettles heat up the water until it boils, and then switch off.  If the water doesn't boil, it's not a kettle! 

Another problem with ordering hot tea through room service is that they use the same carafes for coffee. I can always detect the coffee taste. On our transatlantic cruise last fall, I purchased a coffee package so that DH could have a cappuccino with his dessert each night. I put it on my card so I could go to the International Cafe each morning for my tea. I'd frequently get a spare tea bag to take with me to the dining room so I could have a better quality tea there as well.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, AF-1 said:

To me the taste is great.  French Roast is the most bold that they make.  Yes they do make some bold roasts from Africa and other continents; but I like the smokey flavor of French Roast.

Starbucks French Roast is all we drink.  Love it!!  We've tried many others, but now only buy this.  Nice when Costco has it on sale!!

On 7/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, triple7tahoe said:

Do you have any problem getting your thermostatically controlled kettle through security?  Do they question you?  As I'm sure you know, "kettles" are on the prohibited list.  Do you have it in your luggage or your carry on?  We have a french-press, but when we order hot water through room service it is never quite hot enough.  I'd love to bring this type of kettle on.

5 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

Do you have any problem getting your thermostatically controlled kettle through security?  Do they question you?  As I'm sure you know, "kettles" are on the prohibited list.  Do you have it in your luggage or your carry on?  We have a french-press, but when we order hot water through room service it is never quite hot enough.  I'd love to bring this type of kettle on.

Seems to me that you need  to take a cruise on a UK cruise line !  Kettles in every cabin.

Saved Photos

image.thumb.jpeg.44ee6051c740dc41a532f7db3e52a95a.jpegTop Picture ~ Celebrity

Second Picture - P&O

Kettles

I would think that it is very likely that Regal will have a kettle in every cabin if its home port is Southampton as it is a culturally expected item. 

We were on Diamond Princess which was home porting in Japan and all cabins had kettles......the Japanese need boiling water to make their tea too. All British based cruise lines supply a kettle and basic tea/coffee making sachets (see the photo of our P&O hostess tray). I have also had a kettle supplied when sailing on Celebrity ships. They were not standard on the particular itineraries (Panama Canal transit and Singapore to Dubai) so I asked our cabin steward and had a kettle, mugs and spoons brought to the cabin promptly. I always take my own tea and coffee supplies and we drink ours without sugar and milk but these items are easily obtainable in the buffet.

I am sure that cabin stewards will remove the kettle should you not require it. For us, it is the perfect start to the day.....a proper 'cuppa' in bed made with our preferred brand of tea and truly boiling water.

I have always requested and recd a kettle BUT Covid may put a stop to this as it is more for the room attendant to look after/clean so I will not expect it in future. Kettles are on the list of things not to take on board so one of us will have to run for coffee or make do with room service if they continue to provide that.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, CruzinNoony said:

I have taken the kettle onboard on cruises from the colonies, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand (at least 50 times). One time the steward said something and the ship's safety officer came and said it was approved. Now power stripes, on the other hand, can be a different story. I had one confiscated in Australia last year, only to have it given back at end of cruise. It was the first of B2B2B cruises and it was confiscated upon reboarding 🙂  I  had them keep it until final disembarkation.

18 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

I have taken the kettle onboard on cruises from the colonies, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand (at least 50 times). One time the steward said something and the ship's safety officer came and said it was approved. Now power stripes, on the other hand, can be a different story. I had one confiscated in Australia last year, only to have it given back at end of cruise. It was the first of B2B2B cruises and it was confiscated upon reboarding 🙂  I  had them keep it until final disembarkation.

How about cruises leaving out of Los Angeles?  Have you recently brought your kettle on one of those itineraries?  Do you put it in your carry-on luggage or your checked luggage?

On 7/25/2020 at 6:44 PM, oskidunker said:

New rules probably mean no kettles.

23 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Exactly --- If they don't allow clothes steamer they won't allow kettles!!

Not the same.

oskidunker was referring to the fact that a number of items in the cabin may be removed so they do not have to be cleaned/replaced between passengers. This includes such items as pens, paper, magazines, beverages for sale, etc.

oskidunker was thinking that the tea kettles Princess has supplied in the past on ships based in the UK might also be in that category.

The rules about passengers not bringing tea kettles (and clothes steamers) aboard have existed and remain in place.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, CruzinNoony said:

How about cruises leaving out of Los Angeles?  Have you recently brought your kettle on one of those itineraries?  Do you put it in your carry-on luggage or your checked luggage?

did Hawaii and Mexican Riviera out of LA in the recent (pre virus) past. Probably 10 cruises out of LA in past 5 years without a problem.

21 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

did Hawaii and Mexican Riviera out of LA in the recent (pre virus) past. Probably 10 cruises out of LA in past 5 years without a problem.

Thank you so much for responding.  If we ever get to sailing again, I will be bringing a shut off kettle.  They have them on Amazon for less than $20.00 so it will be worth it to try.  All of our next booked cruises are out of LA so am happy to hear that you had no trouble.  Did you have them in your checked luggage or carry on?

On 7/28/2020 at 12:48 PM, CruzinNoony said:

Thank you so much for responding.  If we ever get to sailing again, I will be bringing a shut off kettle.  They have them on Amazon for less than $20.00 so it will be worth it to try.  All of our next booked cruises are out of LA so am happy to hear that you had no trouble.  Did you have them in your checked luggage or carry on?

Shut off kettle was in checked luggage. They found power strip and confiscated it for trip length but left kettle alone.

When we sailed on Sapphire Princess out of Southampton my wife absolutely loved having a kettle in the cabin. I don't see why it was okay there but not on other Princess ships.