Crew still at sea and we are arguing about our next cruise?

jxtgreek

First, I am in the same boat (pun intended) as everyone else.  I to have a cruise scheduled for 11/29 (Radiance now Breeze).  my question to the group is, do we really think we will be cruising this year when Carnival and other cruise lines have yet to repatriate thousands of their crews?  How will they get crew back to these ships to prepare them from either cold or warm storage and get ready to cruise again by 10/1.  I don't expect my cruise to occur nor the ones I had re-booked for next January and March.  I try to be optimistic but there is a great deal of uncertainty also.

Edited by jxtgreek
  • Like 1

I agree with you, but one comment: Getting new crew members back on board ship will be faster, because they should be able to fly them in by then. If the crew won't be able to fly to board their ships, then I would think that passengers won't either. LOL!

• Like 2

most of the crew they are repatriate have contracts that are or were to be ended so they had to get home anyways. When cruising does resume, they will have a new set of crew with new contracts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

I agree with you, but one comment: Getting new crew members back on board ship will be faster, because they should be able to fly them in by then. If the crew won't be able to fly to board their ships, then I would think that passengers won't either. LOL!

Not necessarily.....passengers flying within US is different than crew flying in from all around the world, some countries which are banned from coming into US??  Very different circumstances for pax vs. crew and getting into US during pandemic.

3 hours ago, buddylover said:

Not necessarily.....passengers flying within US is different than crew flying in from all around the world, some countries which are banned from coming into US??  Very different circumstances for pax vs. crew and getting into US during pandemic.

Well, the majority of the staff don't come from the countries listed on the "prohibited to fly to the US" list, so that shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

20 hours ago, buddylover said:

Those conditions will have to change if you expect cruises to continue sailing out of the US. 

The question was "if it takes this long to repatriate the crew, how can we start cruising in just a couple of months?" I answered with "flying the crew back to the ships". There will be no cruising if flying is an impediment.  

Carnival has ships sitting at ports around the world.  The Dream is in Manila. They could load up on staff for the other two Galveston ships and be back here in less than two weeks.  Same for Europe.  Guess the question would be from the date the CDC  says Ok to go how long will it take to get ready to sail.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, jxtgreek said:

First, I am in the same boat (pun intended) as everyone else.  I to have a cruise scheduled for 11/29 (Radiance now Breeze).  my question to the group is, do we really think we will be cruising this year when Carnival and other cruise lines have yet to repatriate thousands of their crews?  How will they get crew back to these ships to prepare them from either cold or warm storage and get ready to cruise again by 10/1.  I don't expect my cruise to occur nor the ones I had re-booked for next January and March.  I try to be optimistic but there is a great deal of uncertainty also.

Many of the crew still on board are not guest facing crew, they are ship operations crew and their job goes on with or without guests on board.  

I was watching a youtube video from a cruise line staff audio and lighting tech and they were choosing to stay on their ship versus going home.

This was a couple weeks ago and haven't watched any of his vids since but they were staying in a regular passenger cabin, had free internet, free food and were receiving a small payment from the cruise line. 

During the video they indicated there was nothing for them to do at home and would have to make housing arrangements etc. They looked to be having a good time.

Although most of the ship was closed, not sure if that would be my decision.

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Many of the crew still on board are not guest facing crew, they are ship operations crew and their job goes on with or without guests on board.  

Hmmmmmm..... that is certainly not entirely true. I know 📸photographers📸 on three cruise lines; Carnival, Royal & Princess that after 4 months, are still on their ships waiting to go home. They're not having issues with the cruise lines, but rather the countries they live in. Hope they get home soon. 

✌️

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

6 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hmmmmmm..... that is certainly not entirely true. I know 📸photographers📸 on three cruise lines; Carnival, Royal & Princess that after 4 months, are still on their ships waiting to go home. They're not having issues with the cruise lines, but rather the countries they live in. Hope they get home soon. 

✌️

Many does not mean all

38 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Re: arguing. It's what happens here at Cruise Critic. The mods have to step in constantly and you'll see the biggest arguers have quite the posting history. It is what it is.

Who said anything about arguing?