Veendam and Maasdam sold

trishbk

4 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

We were on the Zaandam several years ago and had a similar reaction to the organ.  The those who liked it.......fine............but we thought it was the cheapest looking atrium decoration of any other ship we had been on up to that time.........maybe because on our cruise the organ NEVER really did anything

So you won't be cruising on that ship again..

10 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

So you won't be cruising on that ship again..

I don’t like the organ either, but if they ever updated the cabins and showed the ship a little love, I’d totally cruise on it again. I love the smaller size and cozy vibe.

23 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

maybe because on our cruise the organ NEVER really did anything

The problem with the organ was and still continues to this day, it only plays at certain times.  Those times are not publicized to the guests.  Have no idea why.  When one is in the Atrium and the Organ starts to play:  it is neat!

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The problem with the organ was and still continues to this day, it only plays at certain times.  Those times are not publicized to the guests.  Have no idea why.  When one is in the Atrium and the Organ starts to play:  it is neat!

The organ playing times were clearly publicized to guests on my 11/2019 sailing on the Zaandam. It's a nice but dated feature. Nevertheless, I so much prefer the Zaandam to the crowded, impersonal Koningsdam.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My wife and I were aboard for 33 days, and never heard it once! I thought it was just a prop. And for the most part we like it better than the newer ships. But the cabins could still use a refresh, and I wonder, as many have remarked, if it’s days are numbered.

We were on the Zaandam in 2013, 14 day Hawaii cruise.  Guest services told me that the organ plays daily at noon.    The day I went to watch - it was not happening - and one lady was so disappointed.  I asked Guest Services and they said the entertainment staff (dance troupe) was responsible for “flicking on the switch”....  and the rep phoned down to that department to find out.  Moments later, the organ went into “action”.

Most people are probably having lunch at noon, so miss the “performance”.

I believe the smaller ships still have some version of singers and dancers (at least we did on the Veendam this past Xmas 2019.

Edited by CJcruzer

Now that CMV appeArs to be winding up, what will the future hold for the former Ryndam and Statendam (sailing as Pacific Dawn and Pacific Aria for P&O Australia)? The pair were scheduled to be sold to CMV.

9 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Now that CMV appeArs to be winding up, what will the future hold for the former Ryndam and Statendam (sailing as Pacific Dawn and Pacific Aria for P&O Australia)? The pair were scheduled to be sold to CMV.

What's happening to CMV?

Since she was heavily renovated a couple years ago before entering P&O Australia service, I think Carnival will find a trading buyer for ex-Ryndam.

Ex-Regal Princess on the other hand will probably go to the breakers unless Jalesh Cruises in India has funds to buy and reunite with her twin sister.

Since I live in the Tampa Bay area, I was very disappointed when I read about the Veendam.  When I logged onto HAL's site, all the cruises were gone.  Today when I checked, Tampa was no longer listed as a departure city.  So I guess that ends HAL's cruises from Tampa.  As of now, NCL and RCL still have Tampa sailings.

21 hours ago, RD64 said:

Correction - the two ships to be sold to CMV were the former Ryndam and Regal Princess.

CMV/TransOcean already has the former Statendam/Pacific Eden, the lead ship in the "S"-class, as Vasco da Gama 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FLsealegs said:

Since I live in the Tampa Bay area, I was very disappointed when I read about the Veendam.  When I logged onto HAL's site, all the cruises were gone.  Today when I checked, Tampa was no longer listed as a departure city.  So I guess that ends HAL's cruises from Tampa.  As of now, NCL and RCL still have Tampa sailings.

MSC cancelled their cruises from Tampa too.  They were to begin this Fall.

Tampa is a great port for passengers.  Easy to navigate and good parking. Excellent 'drive to' port, but it has other issues...bridge height, fog, tides and narrow channels through the bay.

I hope HAL will come back some day. It's an hour and a quarter from our house. We like it very much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Tampa is a great port for passengers.  Easy to navigate and good parking. Excellent 'drive to' port, but it has other issues...bridge height, fog, tides and narrow channels through the bay.

I hope HAL will come back some day. It's an hour and a quarter from our house. We like it very much.

Like you, I would like to try to sail from/to Tampa.  If the city of Tampa and its surrounding political jurisdictions really wanted to encourage cruise traffic for this port, couldn't something be done to help eliminate some of the issues?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Like you, I would like to try to sail from/to Tampa.  If the city of Tampa and its surrounding political jurisdictions really wanted to encourage cruise traffic for this port, couldn't something be done to help eliminate some of the issues?

Short of building a new port way outside Tampa it’s not happening anytime soon.   The environmental impacts would be a hurdle and the cost prohibitive.  Personally we really enjoyed the slow exit and entrance into Tampa.   

Edited by Randyk47

19 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Short of building a new port way outside Tampa it’s not happening anytime soon.   The environmental impacts would be a hurdle and the cost prohibitive.  Personally we really enjoyed the slow exit and entrance into Tampa.   

That has been my understanding for awhile.  The costs and the environmental concerns are difficult to overcome and surely won't be overcome in the near future.

Like you, I enjoy a slow exit from a favorite port that is scenic.  Entrance into such a port?  Well, with the usual early morning arrival, I am usually not yet out of my pj's when that happens.  Although--when I began cruising years ago--I was on an outside deck, maybe under the Bridge, helping the Captain to sail the ship into her dock.😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saltshell said:

Today I received 2 do not reply emails. One was booking confirmation and the other for payment, both for February Veendam cruise. LOL, I'm not going ! What are they up to in Seattle?

Nice, can you say disorganized.

15 hours ago, saltshell said:

Today I received 2 do not reply emails. One was booking confirmation and the other for payment, both for February Veendam cruise. LOL, I'm not going ! What are they up to in Seattle?

HAL is really messed up right now.  Recently I finally (after 4 months) got my FCC into my account.  Then, two days later, they apllied it to one of my upcoming cruises without checking with me.  THEN, two days after that they cancelled the cruise that they had just applied the FCC to!!!  Crazy thing is, the cruise they applied it to was further out than the other one.

For certain - the left hand at HAL does not know what the right hand is doing.