If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

On 7/22/2020 at 6:41 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Hell to the NO, I will gladly take a full refund for our next cruise though as this stipulation wasn't in place at time of our booking. 

I am nowhere near an anti vaxxer and in fact both our kids as well as my wife and I are fully vaccinated. We never get flu shots though as we prefer to keep ourselves healthy and let our immune systems do what they're supposed to do. 

Vaccines generally take quite some time to develop and our family refuses to be guinea pigs for a rushed vaccine. For those wanting to be first in line for said rushed vaccine you might want to look up what happened in 1976 with the swine flu vaccine. 

Oh, and in case you get the rushed vaccine and god forbid something bad does happen you have no right for any legal recourse against the vaccine maker. 

Your best defense is to do your best to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

You may want to rethink this logic. 

This is uncharted territory, and what has worked in the past will not work in the future for multiple reasons:  this virus is HIGHLY contagious (2-3 times more than the flu), kills people by a factor of 10 times more than the common flu,  and affects pretty much every organ in the body.  Exercise, weight, eating don't have any bearing on contracting this nasty bug.

We cannot rely on our previous belief system when it comes to this beastie:  it's uncharted territory. So, suspend  opinions, look at this with a fresh outlook, and then make a decision.  What's the safest course of action in this new territory?  By the time a vaccine is readily available it will have been year of studies, data gathering, research, and testing.  A year to observe and decide.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pcur said:

This is uncharted territory, and what has worked in the past will not work in the future for multiple reasons:  this virus is HIGHLY contagious (2-3 times more than the flu), kills people by a factor of 10 times more than the common flu,  and affects pretty much every organ in the body.  Exercise, weight, eating don't have any bearing on contracting this nasty bug.

We cannot rely on our previous belief system when it comes to this beastie:  it's uncharted territory. So, suspend  opinions, look at this with a fresh outlook, and then make a decision.  What's the safest course of action in this new territory?  By the time a vaccine is readily available it will have been year of studies, data gathering, research, and testing.  A year to observe and decide.

I respectfully disagree with most of the things you just wrote. Over 80% of the people who have died worldwide are over 80 and the vast majority of healthy people under the age of 60 or so fight this thing off with no problem. The numbers are completely wrong and we may never know them with 100% certainty because there are so many people with positive tests who are asymptomatic. How many people who have had it never got tested because they didn't have symptoms? We don't know but the number is most likely very high. Just look at the sports league, everyone freaks out about the positive tests but the athletes themselves say they had no symptoms or very minor symptoms. 

The only way that this is uncharted territory is that this is the first pandemic that had the assistance of social media and the 24 hour news cycle to fan the flames of fear and hysteria. 

Look up Dr. Michael Levitt, Nobel Prize winner and Stanford Prof.......he has some good insights. 

This too shall pass......

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, pcur said:

And this one statement is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.......Like, my mind is boggled by this statement. 

An ounce of prevention.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And this one statement is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.......Like, my mind is boggled by this statement. 

Actually the statement is 100% correct.

Exercise, weight, eating don't have any bearing on contracting this nasty bug.

However, exercise, weight and eating do have a bearing on how the virus affects individuals.

• Like 5

Guest BigRoger

For those who will wear masks, take tests and get vaccinated.... can’t wait to share a glass with you on board ASAP.... we will have fun when we get back...

those who won’t.... we’ll miss you but (new) life goes on.... enjoy the tv.... Early on you are leaving good cabins for the rest of us so we’ll raise a glass to you for that... enjoy and see how long you hold out!

Guest BigRoger

I always think opinions are great... if we didn’t have differing opinions the world would be a miserable place.... but when opinions are stated as if they are facts.... nah

we never landed on the moon.... and the Earth is indeed flat it’s just the way it’s photographed...

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My point is not one shouldn't eat healthy, exercise, and watch their weight for general good health.  My point is this virus has KILLED millions of people worldwide of all ages that were normal weight, exercised, and ate healthy.  It's a non-discriminatory, highly infectious, killer of a virus.

Plus, the "ounce" of prevention in my mind is to be vaccinated, wear a mask, and generally avoid people until those two things happen.  

53 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

For those who will wear masks, take tests and get vaccinated.... can’t wait to share a glass with you on board ASAP.... we will have fun when we get back...

those who won’t.... we’ll miss you but (new) life goes on.... enjoy the tv.... Early on you are leaving good cabins for the rest of us so we’ll raise a glass to you for that... enjoy and see how long you hold out!

Pure speculation....currently everything is......BUT....IF these precautions are in place when cruising resumes I won't complain.....I'll just take my refund and go on some land based vacations.....still so much of North America to see. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pcur said:

My point is not one shouldn't eat healthy, exercise, and watch their weight for general good health.  My point is this virus has KILLED millions of people worldwide of all ages that were normal weight, exercised, and ate healthy.  It's a non-discriminatory, highly infectious, killer of a virus.

Plus, the "ounce" of prevention in my mind is to be vaccinated, wear a mask, and generally avoid people until those two things happen.  

The latest number for worldwide deaths from Covid-19 is under 750k. Lots of those are people being counted have died "with" Covid-19 and not "as a result of" Covid-19. 

I must say you are absolutely wrong. Covid-19 is in fact a HIGHLY discriminatory virus.....just look at the demographics of who have passed,  over 80% worldwide were over 80. There are multiple sources citing these same numbers. Can you provide a source that states that millions of healthy people have died from Covid-19?

This disease isn't killing young (under 50ish), healthy individuals and that's a fact. I don't know where you're getting your information from but it's flat out wrong. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
  • Like 5

On 8/7/2020 at 8:33 PM, BND said:

What do you think the current trials are doing?  They are testing people currently and starting the trials where they actually expose people to the virus to see how they react.  That will take a couple of months.  They are at the point they aren't just testing young healthy people.  

I do know that Moderna is undergoing a third phase of tests which involves 30,000 people actually getting it, so I guess these trials will prove the outcome. I had just learned of how these trials work after I commented on this, quite interesting! I hope it all goes well and we return to our normal lives again! 

10 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I do know that Moderna is undergoing a third phase of tests which involves 30,000 people actually getting it, so I guess these trials will prove the outcome. I had just learned of how these trials work after I commented on this, quite interesting! I hope it all goes well and we return to our normal lives again! 

My 63 year old husband actually volunteered but he  hasn't heard anything. He's a type 2 diabetic (controlled) and walks 5 miles at least 3-4 times per week.  Lots of people have volunteered to test this so they can get it to market.  The Oxford (UK) one is showing great results also.

Edited by BND

41 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The latest number for worldwide deaths from Covid-19 is under 750k. Lots of those are people being counted have died "with" Covid-19 and not "as a result of" Covid-19. 

I must say you are absolutely wrong. Covid-19 is in fact a HIGHLY discriminatory virus.....just look at the demographics of who have passed,  over 80% worldwide were over 80. There are multiple sources citing these same numbers. Can you provide a source that states that millions of healthy people have died from Covid-19?

This disease isn't killing young (under 50ish), healthy individuals and that's a fact. I don't know where you're getting your information from but it's flat out wrong. 

Just for reference concerning age.

In my county, these are the  deaths:

Age 40-49: 1
Age 50-59: 4
Age 60-69: 9
Age 70-79: 19
Age 80+: 81
Age Not Reported: 1

And  this is with 5,372 confirmed cases out of a county of 431,500 people.  The majority of deaths (at least 82) were in long term care facilities.  You can see the huge dropoff under age 80 and more than likely the majority of the 19 in the 70-79 age group were actually between 75-79.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Just for reference concerning age.

In my county, these are the  deaths:

Age 40-49: 1
Age 50-59: 4
Age 60-69: 9
Age 70-79: 19
Age 80+: 81
Age Not Reported: 1

And  this is with 5,372 confirmed cases out of a county of 431,500 people.  The majority of deaths (at least 82) were in long term care facilities.  You can see the huge dropoff under age 80 and more than likely the majority of the 19 in the 70-79 age group were actually between 75-79.  

The breakdown of those demographics are almost identical to my Province. Pretty telling. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, shorti503 said:

My answer would be no. While I am not anti vaccine in anyway my whole family is up to date on all vaccines I think they are just rushing this one to much. While I understand the need for the rush it really makes me nervous. There is no way to know long term side effects to so early on. 

agree 100%

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Hell to the NO, I will gladly take a full refund for our next cruise though as this stipulation wasn't in place at time of our booking. 

I am nowhere near an anti vaxxer and in fact both our kids as well as my wife and I are fully vaccinated. We never get flu shots though as we prefer to keep ourselves healthy and let our immune systems do what they're supposed to do. 

Vaccines generally take quite some time to develop and our family refuses to be guinea pigs for a rushed vaccine. For those wanting to be first in line for said rushed vaccine you might want to look up what happened in 1976 with the swine flu vaccine. 

Oh, and in case you get the rushed vaccine and god forbid something bad does happen you have no right for any legal recourse against the vaccine maker. 

Your best defense is to do your best to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

totally agree

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Exercise, weight, eating don't have any bearing on contracting this nasty bug.

If you go to a gym with no mitigations in place or eat at a buffet with same, it may have a bearing on contracting COVID19 or any other other bug for that matter.

20 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My bad:  I was mixing up infected numbers with deaths.  I find this web site very informative:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

My non-discriminatory comment was referring to infections, not deaths, and the fact that this virus WILL infect anybody and everybody.  No problem with age, gender, overall health, weight, eating habits of it's host.  It will just go on in one's body and infect away.

Healthy, good eating, normal weight, exercising people cannot stop this virus from infecting them if they are exposed to it, and depending on a huge variety of factors, each body will react in it's own way.  And, yes, under age 64 people have milder reactions, generally speaking.

However, those people who are good eaters, exercise, keep their weight normal, can infect their family and other random people. It's highly contagious.  I would think even the people who will survive (statistically speaking) would want to protect themselves, their family, and other people from getting this virus. 

4 minutes ago, pcur said:

My bad:  I was mixing up infected numbers with deaths.  I find this web site very informative:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

My non-discriminatory comment was referring to infections, not deaths, and the fact that this virus WILL infect anybody and everybody.  No problem with age, gender, overall health, weight, eating habits of it's host.  It will just go on in one's body and infect away.

Healthy, good eating, normal weight, exercising people cannot stop this virus from infecting them if they are exposed to it, and depending on a huge variety of factors, each body will react in it's own way.  And, yes, under age 64 people have milder reactions, generally speaking.

However, those people who are good eaters, exercise, keep their weight normal, can infect their family and other random people. It's highly contagious.  I would think even the people who will survive (statistically speaking) would want to protect themselves, their family, and other people from getting this virus. 

Ok, from the website that you provided......0.9% of all deaths worldwide had no pre-existing conditions. The other conditions are mostly lifestyle related, why can you not understand that??

How does one get so misinformed??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Ok, from the website that you provided......0.9% of all deaths worldwide had no pre-existing conditions. The other conditions are mostly lifestyle related, why can you not understand that??

How does one get so misinformed??

I understand all about pre-existing conditions, I have from the get-go, but that's not what I'm talking about:  you are. 

I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING INFECTED, AND THEY NEED TO PROTECT THEMSELVES. No pre-existing conditions does not stop a person from getting infected.

Only now, I'm not talking anymore...........................................

Edited by pcur

There's also data out there that shows people with O type blood are less likely to get infected.  I happen to be O-.  

Also, on a side note, this is really impacting the islands.  I just got a call (left message) from a jeweler we have used in St Thomas and mainly in St. Maarten just checking in on us.  They have always sent sale info but have never called us before.  They can only take so much more of this.

I also don't understand putting people on the ignore list.  I never understood how a complete stranger could hurt someone's feelings.  

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, BND said:

There's also data out there that shows people with O type blood are less likely to get infected.  I happen to be O-.  

Also, on a side note, this is really impacting the islands.  I just got a call (left message) from a jeweler we have used in St Thomas and mainly in St. Maarten just checking in on us.  They have always sent sale info but have never called us before.  They can only take so much more of this.

I also don't understand putting people on the ignore list.  I never understood how a complete stranger could hurt someone's feelings.  

I have B+, which is more protection than type A, but less than type O.

I use the ignore list to avoid contentious people, not because my feelings are hurt.  In all things in life, I think respect and courtesy is required.  If other people cannot show it, then I avoid them.

Edited by pcur

7 hours ago, pcur said:

I understand all about pre-existing conditions, I have from the get-go, but that's not what I'm talking about:  you are. 

I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING INFECTED, AND THEY NEED TO PROTECT THEMSELVES. No pre-existing conditions does not stop a person from getting infected.

Only now, I'm not talking anymore...........................................

Younger, healthy people do not need to protect themselves as they are able to fight it off no problem if they get it. What we need to do is protect the people who are more vulnerable. Take mask use for instance, the masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else from you. That's why we wear them in Canada anyway.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Younger, healthy people do not need to protect themselves as they are able to fight it off no problem if they get it. What we need to do is protect the people who are more vulnerable. Take mask use for instance, the masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else from you. That's why we wear them in Canada anyway.....

Well said... Vaccine won't be requirement to Cruise, screening and Testing will. Also Mandatory wearing Masks will for a required for short Period. 

Edited by ONECRUISER