Great Cruising Memories

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Those of us who love being at sea on a comfortable ship have always known that the Golden Age of the transatlantic liners is long past.  We know that the level of service will never be what it once was.  But...every once and a while when we receive a special favor by a kind steward or waiter and we stand at the rail, looking out at the boundless sea, thinking that this is almost what was...once upon a time.  We still get glimpses of what was and it is for this reason that we continue to cruise.  There is still no better feeling, for me, than to be standing with my feet firmly planted on the deck of a moving ship.

Totally agree, I still enjoy the experience of being at sea, even though I spent too many years staring out the windows.

However, the old liners had a buzz and excitement when steaming at 20 to 30 kts. When at speed, the ship just felt alive, whereas most ships now are cruising at much more sedate speed.

I accept that most of my experience has been on the Bridge, where speed really makes a difference, but for those of you who have experienced both the liners and modern tonnage, do you notice any change in the shipboard experience, when at sea, from today's slow speed steaming.

On our last WC, we had a couple of times when we steamed at 18.5 kts and sitting on the balcony, the ship felt alive, watching the wash go by. On occassion, when doing 10 - 12 kts it felt like we were barely moving.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree, I still enjoy the experience of being at sea, even though I spent too many years staring out the windows.

However, the old liners had a buzz and excitement when steaming at 20 to 30 kts. When at speed, the ship just felt alive, whereas most ships now are cruising at much more sedate speed.

I accept that most of my experience has been on the Bridge, where speed really makes a difference, but for those of you who have experienced both the liners and modern tonnage, do you notice any change in the shipboard experience, when at sea, from today's slow speed steaming.

On our last WC, we had a couple of times when we steamed at 18.5 kts and sitting on the balcony, the ship felt alive, watching the wash go by. On occassion, when doing 10 - 12 kts it felt like we were barely moving.

Back in “the old days” there was a thrill when the ship was moving close to 30 knots and the spray from the sides of the ship would crash out with authority.  Funny thing though, as I’ve aged, the speed just doesn’t seem as important as the ride.  As long as the ship is moving...I’m happy.  I will admit that when I was on the RCI Jewel Of The Seas, and she was brand new, Captain Thor Torvelsen took up to speed.  We were at sea and the ship was cutting through a 6 foot chop like a sharp knife through soft butter.  I happened to be out near the bow.  Talk about a “Titanic moment”!  I gave the bridge a big thumbs up!  I talked to the Captain the next day and he said we were up to about 26 knots.  It was a great moment for this old salt.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 2:24 AM, Lowiepete said:

I often think fondly of Jack & Jill and their wonderful souls. 

What a wonderful and uplifting story about Jack and Jill!  Thank you for telling it!

On 2/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, Lowiepete said:

No-one should be surprised over the natural human attachments made on board ship, from either side of the aisle. After all, we're both sides coping with neighbours we cannot choose, nor change. Just know that kindness is never forgotten and triumphs over anger by factors!

One of the most important pleasures that I have received by sailing on long cruises is the relationships that develop among the crew and me and the other guests and me.  

2002, my DR Steward Ronnie encountered me walking on Nuku Hiva; it was a hot, humid afternoon.  I had been ashore for some time and was heading back to the dock to get a tender to return to the Amsterdam.  I must have looked as I felt:  not good--too much heat, humidity.  When Ronnie saw me:  "Are you alright?  Can I help you?"  My response was "thanks, no, I am on my way back to the ship (and the tender pier was in sight)."  It's a kindness by Ronnie that I have never forgotten.  

Aboard the ship it was an offence punishable by dismissal to "fraternise with passengers".

Even in the 21st Century on the ships of Holland America Line, a staff member or the spouse of a staff member must be of a particular rank in order be able to sit at the bar in the Crow's Nest.  

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am unsure as to what you mean in this sentence.  

Rka - I do explain this later in the piece. The difference in "levels" now means demarcation, whereas it never used to. I also explain the captive bit, by you're inability as a passenger to explore life "after dark" in some of the World's most exciting cities!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What a wonderful and uplifting story about Jack and Jill!  Thank you for telling it!

One of the most important pleasures that I have received by sailing on long cruises is the relationships that develop among the crew and me and the other guests and me. 

Thanks, they were special people in dark days.

I'm reminded of my duo sisters from NYC on the Great World Cruise of 1966. The elder sister was into her 90's and a total hoot! I can't remember quite where we were, but we a few weeks in. Almost at every meal, Nonie would ask me to recommend something. It became a bit of sketch, if I tell the truth. 

So, there they are, always the first two into the restaurant! As ever, I get asked about what's best on the menu and do my utmost to recommend a hearty meal. Bear in mind that they have already brushed-away the Head Waiter anxious to take their order, so, I need to step in instead.

"Oh my goodness, you're still trying to make me fat!" came the response. Now, by this time, I knew her well enough to ask this question. "Pray, tell me, how much extra weight have you really gained during this cruise?"

When the answer came back as "None", I simply feigned despair, covered my face with a sweeping back-handed gesture, complaining, as I walk away, "Oh my goodness, I've failed, I've failed!". Glancing back I'd catch a glimpse of a mischievous pair of eyes and a younger sister doing her very best to try and control the elder with the blackest of looks.

The only way we could survive serving the very same group of people, not just day after day, but meal after meal was to try and make each one "memorable" for them in some way. It was then for our allotted passengers to determine which meals stood out, or not.

Some would say that by doing this I _was_ fraternising with the passengers. On board a ship where voyages extended beyond a week or three, it would be inevitable. I don't for a moment doubt that our pax spoke about their stewards amongst themselves. In full knowledge of this, I'd determined that I wasn't going to get written-off as hopeless by _any_ of my pax, not by a long chalk!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lowiepete said:

Rka - I do explain this later in the piece. The difference in "levels" now means demarcation, whereas it never used to. I also explain the captive bit, by you're inability as a passenger to explore life "after dark" in some of the World's most exciting cities!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm reminded of my duo sisters

2 elderly sisters:  Ah, as a guest, I remember two during my world cruise.  Senior HAL Mariners, their table was next to mine in the dining room.  It was quite interesting to observe them and the staff's interactions with them during those 113 days.  Nice ladies; I got to know them somewhat.  But, I was not part of their entourage.  

I don't for a moment doubt that our pax spoke about their stewards amongst themselves.

And still do!

• Haha 1

I just came across a quote that expresses my feeling of being at sea:

"When I see a vessel plunging up and down in the trough of the sea, fighting her way through and over great waves, and keeping her keel and going on and on - the wonder of the thing fills me, how she can keep afloat and get safely to port.  I have never outgrown the wild grandeur of the sea."

-E. J. Smith, Captain of the Titanic, in On Board the Titanic

• Like 2

Nice one Shipgeeks...or should I say...nice passage...lol.  When I think of what expresses my feeling of being at sea I think of all those mornings I have woken up just before sunrise.  That feeling of knowing I’m at sea and the sun is just about to rise.  DW is an artist so I usually capture the event with a picture for future reference.  I usually have the coffee sent in, via room service, as early as possible so we can have our first cup as the horizon bursts with orange and gold.  Those colors and the cloud formations are an inspiration...breathtaking...especially in the Caribbean.  Sunrise at sea is an event that we both love so much and no matter how many times we practice this ritual it never gets old.  Each sunrise at sea is new and different...an experience one never forgets...savors and treasures.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

While that picture is in view, I'll tell you one of my favourite places on board ship. If you look at the prow there are two dark areas either side of that forward stanchion. You could sit under there and be completely sheltered from the breeze / wind, but the best bit was at dead of night, when the floodlights were turned off and with maybe a little moonlight to cause reflections in the water.

This was a vantage point that not even the occupants of the most expensive suites on board could access at will. The benefit? Being able to look aft toward the superstructure and watch the motion of the ship as if she was somehow being manipulated by a string from your hand.

Both the gentle pitching and the swaying from side to side of this massive structure seemed to emanate from the bow, although of course it was simply a magical "trompe d'oeil".  It happened in almost complete silence, except for a light, therapeutic splashing beneath you as the ship was slicing through the water. On sticky tropical nights, I'd while away an hour or so...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lowiepete said:

While that picture is in view, I'll tell you one of my favourite places on board ship. If you look at the prow there are two dark areas either side of that forward stanchion. You could sit under there and be completely sheltered from the breeze / wind, but the best bit was at dead of night, when the floodlights were turned off and with maybe a little moonlight to cause reflections in the water.

This was a vantage point that not even the occupants of the most expensive suites on board could access at will. The benefit? Being able to look aft toward the superstructure and watch the motion of the ship as if she was somehow being manipulated by a string from your hand.

Both the gentle pitching and the swaying from side to side of this massive structure seemed to emanate from the bow, although of course it was simply a magical "trompe d'oeil".  It happened in almost complete silence, except for a light, therapeutic splashing beneath you as the ship was slicing through the water. On sticky tropical nights, I'd while away an hour or so...

Regards,

Steve

On my first ship, every night at sea we had 3 cadets working 4-hour sea watches, which required a Foc's'le Lookout, Helmsman and Rounds/Gopher. During a 3-day rotation, on 2 of the nights we spent 1 hr the Foc's'le, but every 3rd night, we enjoyed 2 hours alone, as the lookout right up fwd.

Fortunately, we had bulwarks protecting us, not stantions and chairs per the photo above. A cadet was stationed on the Foc's'le from 20:00 to 08:00 daily, regardless of the weather, unless we were shipping actual green seas over the bow, then we were out on the open Bridge Wing.

In nice weather, it was a magical experience, with almost total silence, as all we heard was the bow cutting through the ocean and the wash. When we had wind over the decks we also heard the wind whistling through the rigging. Under the correct conditions the luminescene from the wash was a truly amazing sight. Throw in the carpet of millions of stars and it was most memorable. 

However, when the ship was in a seaway and/or heavy rain, the sea spray and rain were not so magical, especially the nights we spent 2 hours out there. When in the tropics, the rain gear kept you somewhat dry, but with the heat, you still sweated, so after 2 hours we were soaked from the inside. When the bow dug-in and we shipped green water over the bulwarks, we got to move to the Bridge Wing.

Spent many, many hours up there and never did see a ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lowiepete said:

Regards,

Steve

Now that story should go into your Time Line.

• 3 weeks later...

Remembering the Amerikanis...

I came across some menus and programs from the Chandris Line Amerikanis.  They brought back some great memories.  The Chandris Line had gone from coal transports in the 1930’s to passenger shipping after WW II.  They converted older transatlantic ships for the immigrant trade to Australia, etc.  As the jets began to connect the continents the Chandris family converted their ships for cruising.  The blue smoke stacks on their ships were always marked with the big white X...Greek lettering for the Ch in Chandris.  They were able to man their ships with Greek crews and offer interesting cruises mostly in the Mediterranean and Caribbean.  The price was reasonable and often a bargain for a week or longer.  The quality of a Chandris cruise was exceptional...Old World style of food and service coupled with Greek specialties.  The lunch and dinner menus were extensive with European and American specialties interspersed with Greek classics.  The menu items were numbered to aid the Greek waiters who were deficient in English.  The lunch and dinner menus usually had more than 100 items listed.  The table service was exemplary with personal servings off silver platters.  Some of the Chandris ships were classics...the Victoria, Brittanis and Ellinis to name a few.  The Chandris ship that was the most popular and beloved was the Amerikanis.  She had been around for 4 decades and cruised extensively from the East Coast.  She was less than 20,000 tons but she was extremely comfortable and had all the prerequisites for cruise enjoyment.  The entertainment was excellent...including live bands with British and Greek entertainers with excellent floor shows.  These shows were followed by late nights of raucous dancing and partying to a live band often ending up with Greek Conga lines and towel waving led by an hilarious Greek entertainer.  The next day began around the double pools with reserved deck chairs and superb poolside service.  A Pina Colada went for $1.00 and beers were 75 cents!  There was skeet shooting everyday at sea.  The Greek crew really added to the fun.  Yes...fun...because that was what a cruise was like in those wonderful times from the past.  

I forgot to mention that Chandris changed their name in the 1980’s.  A new name for their new ships...they named the new company CELEBRITY.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I forgot to mention that Chandris changed their name in the 1980’s.  A new name for their new ships...they named the new company CELEBRITY.  

One of the sons of the original founder of Chandris  became a Board Member of Royal Caribbean International for several years.  The "X" on the funnels of the Celebrity ships remains as a recognition as to what that family did for cruising.  

On 3/24/2021 at 8:12 PM, rkacruiser said:

One of the sons of the original founder of Chandris  became a Board Member of Royal Caribbean International for several years.  The "X" on the funnels of the Celebrity ships remains as a recognition as to what that family did for cruising.  

When Chandris/Celebrity sold to RCI part of the deal was:  RCI would retain Greek officers, they would keep the X on the funnels and they would have a Chandris family member on the board.  
What’s really interesting is that RCI bought Celebrity and six new ships for 1.3 Billion Dollars.  Quite a bargain!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

There are some things from the 90's I don't remember! It seemed it was different, dinner was longer, midnight buffets, I remember on RCCL having the audacity to not only bring my own rum and coke into the viking crown lounge but to ask them for ice for it!! 

I remember one time being told by the cleaning crew 4am not to play the piano, but I informed them I was working on the new Stones album- they didn't seem to know who the Stones were nor cared but some people from my entouarge came and I continued playing anyway.

It seemed simpler, more outside space, no upsells etc. 

I am normally just post  on NCL's board but wanted to share this store from either RCCL or Costa in the 90's. I don't remember which. My father thought it would be a good idea to get me a bottle of rum.

There was a little wooden extension above the bed so I could keep the rum there. 

Anyway- I awoke one morning and had brown stuff all over my gym  shorts. I yelled "Oh no! I haven't done this since I was 4 years old."

I was relieved when I looked at my pillow and saw I slept on the chocolate mint the steward had left for me the night before! WHEW!!!! My father tried to explain to them it was chocolate - don't know if they believed him.

Some other random thoughts from the old days- I found a picture of my grandparents on what I believe was the SS Norway- I will go back and check the picture. 

Went to Bermuda in '94 and it stopped at Hamilton for a few nights then St George- before Royal Dockyard became mainstream. It seemed there were more outside spaces and less distractions.

I was offered a job to play the piano on Costa from playing 2 years in a row, but had to decline due to my current work and school at the time. Sometimes i wonder what it would have been like, but heard from some of the musicians it was 4 in a cabin .

20 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I was offered a job to play the piano on Costa from playing 2 years in a row, but had to decline due to my current work and school at the time. Sometimes i wonder what it would have been like, but heard from some of the musicians it was 4 in a cabin .

Affirmative, on the older ships, many of the ratings were in 4-berth cabins.