Buying Jewelry

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Hot & Spicy, yuck. 

I responded to the OP’s question. Kay’s was a correct response. I can’t help others didn’t understand the original question. 

M8

No need to try to justify your response. No one expects you to help others because they misunderstood the question or your answer. We must realize when you or anyone else writes there is a sender and a receiver. We all think and interpret things differently. They may not understand the question. Or, they may not understand the answer.

Case closed.

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

As stated above, Kay's Jewelers in STT is in no way affiliated with the ones in US malls.

There are Island jewelry stores that do have offices/satellites in the States. Many in New York. I personally have dealt with them. 

10 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Understand, but each will give a different value.

In addition, the appraiser is using their own judgement of the 4Cs, too. That can vary between appraisers.

Your money...your decision. Once it's on her finger it may not make any difference unless something happens to it.

But do you really think the appraised value the seller gives you in the caribbean is going to be legit? Enjoy whatever you decide is the best for you. And congrats on your upcoming engagement. Our youngest son got engaged a couple of years ago onboard Harmony and they did look at rings in each of our caribbean ports...in the end they opted to wait and get the "ring" (and it was a doozie) once they got home where they felt much more comfortable with this expensive high end important purchase.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Your money...your decision. Once it's on her finger it may not make any difference unless something happens to it.

But do you really think the appraised value the seller gives you in the caribbean is going to be legit? Enjoy whatever you decide is the best for you. And congrats on your upcoming engagement. Our youngest son got engaged a couple of years ago onboard Harmony and they did look at rings in each of our caribbean ports...in the end they opted to wait and get the "ring" (and it was a doozie) once they got home where they felt much more comfortable with this expensive high end important purchase.

Totally agree with your response.

To the couple: Like many have said, be careful. It will last a lifetime. Everyone has a different choice in jewelry and stones. Good Luck in your future. 

My family has been cruising for over 30 years and made many purchases from watches to a variety of diamond , gem and gold jewelry. Most was purchased in Mexico, St Martin , St Thomas and Jamaica..  Before this century when they did not have multiple ships in port every day of the week, we DID make some deals of quality that were confirmed at home..  HOWEVER when my mother died and we took all her jewelry for appraisal , we found over 50% of rings/bracelets did not have all real stones...  rings that had rubys and diamonds , the large stone in the middle was NOT real, but the chips or small decorative side stones were... some were just poor quality.. sapphires were colored glass and many other disappointing finds...  thank heaven she never knew as she wore them proudly and boasted of the DEALS she made...  

A Citizen watch from a store in Jamaica may have been real one, but we were told as with Factory Outlet stores in the US, they make special watches that they sell to be sold outside the us..  the number on the watch was not available in the US and they could not locate a US price..  ( can not confirm this ..just what was suggested)

As with anything else, if part of the joy is shopping, dickering, and having the memory of it all during a special vacation as with my mom, it is the perceived value of the experience that makes it priceless..  but maybe that should be reserved for less expensive trinkets.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah some of those watch boxes take up a lot of room 🙂   I bought an Omega in Aruba last winter and they offered to ship the box.  The covid shutdowns affected them too but I finally got the box in June.

OP - Grand Jewelers in STT and SXM can be trusted.

My boxes are all on top shelf of closet. I use a winder. I have the 2 tone blue face sub. Cheapest box of any I have. 

• Like 1

As a general rule, you buy jewelry on a cruise due to selection and "memories", not price. I am an avid gem/mineral collector and was previously in the gem/mineral trade. I like to browse the stores while on a cruise, but have pretty much never seen a "normal" style diamond ring that was cheaper than what I could get it for here in the US. If you are going to buy in the Caribbean, then go to an online loose diamond website (there are a ton of them) first and create a simple spreadsheet of size/quality/color. While not perfect, it will at least get you in the ballpark to know if the port dealer is even in the ballpark on price. I have seen more than a few people bragging about their "great deals" all while knowing that they probably overpaid by 50%-100%. As for real-world experience, I did a cruise with my sister 2 years ago where she wanted to buy a new watch for her husband. We were primarily looking for a Tag Heuer so checked the price of a few models at Sam's Club before we left. We found those same watches at over a dozen stores across 3 ports. My sister is actually a good negotiator but even with all the "you will never see a deal like this ever again. I am losing money on this watch...." from the dealers, not a single one came within 30% of the price of the same watch as Sam's Club even including US State tax (and in most cases the "best price" they shouted to us as we left was typically 50%-75% more than Sam's Club). Just person experience from about 9 different ports (however, St Thomas was not one of them).     

Edited by RockHoundTX
spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

As a general rule, you buy jewelry on a cruise due to selection and "memories", not price. I am an avid gem/mineral collector and was previously in the gem/mineral trade. I like to browse the stores while on a cruise, but have pretty much never seen a "normal" style diamond ring that was cheaper than what I could get it for here in the US. If you are going to buy in the Caribbean, then go to an online loose diamond website (there are a ton of them) first and create a simple spreadsheet of size/quality/color. While not perfect, it will at least get you in the ballpark to know if the port dealer is even in the ballpark on price. I have seen more than a few people bragging about their "great deals" all while knowing that they probably overpaid by 50%-100%. As for real-world experience, I did a cruise with my sister 2 years ago where she wanted to buy a new watch for her husband. We were primarily looking for a Tag Heuer so checked the price of a few models at Sam's Club before we left. We found those same watches at over a dozen stores across 3 ports. My sister is actually a good negotiator but even with all the "you will never see a deal like this ever again. I am losing money on this watch...." from the dealers, not a single one came within 30% of the price of the same watch as Sam's Club even including US State tax (and in most cases the "best price" they shouted to us as we left was typically 50%-75% more than Sam's Club). Just person experience from about 9 different ports (however, St Thomas was not one of them).     

I don’t buy diamonds or stones but the boss does. She seldom has time to shop here in the States for jewelry. If she finds something she likes, and she thinks it’s a good, she buys it. She is not buying for an investment. Now watches to me are a different story. You can pretty much have a known price before you travel or easy to check online. One of the biggest savings on high dollar watches is the taxes if you choose not to declare. We always declare the good citizens we are. For example, Rolex is supposed to have a fixed price but the islands are a bit willing to come off that price. Not much but some. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

6 hours ago, ryanbarckley said:

I’d 1000% agree with that concern...part of why I asked here I know I’ve seen some people post that they’ve been shopping at certain stores or had certain people they go to for years. That’s the sort of situation I’m loooking/hoping for here, someone who’s been around and has a good track record. NO WAY I’d just pick a store and buy something. 

I recommend Kay's in st thomas.  They are not related to the Kay's jewelry located in alot of us malls.  

Here is link to their website.  Great family business and I have always been happy with every purchase.

https://www.kaysfinejewelry.com

Good luck with everything!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

Sorry, you wrote Kay's. Many people know Every Kiss Begins With Kay's. Others assumed you meant Kay's in the States. Others talked about checking local stores. We assume he is in the States.

That's the problem with this type of communication. A lot of misinterpretation.

I like Popeyes chicken.

Hot n Spicy

Many of us knew what he meant.😉

Their slogan is Happy wife, Happy life

Great place to get Crown and Anchor jewelry 

20200804_101447.thumb.jpg.43a1160d985f5fa5782356dfe6e1bf23.jpg20200804_101504.thumb.jpg.aa16a66df4187acf0530d4a2910c2d6f.jpg

I already had the Omega necklace, so they adjusted the clasp to fit

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 1

'Many of us knew what he meant.'

I'm sure many knew what was meant.

I'm also sure others thought of the US Kay's in the malls.

I guess I made a big mistake thinking it was Kay's in the US.

I will go to the naughty room for a 5 minute time out!

Should I go to confession Saturday?

Any other suggestions? 

Thank goodness we can go to confession, by appointment only, at our church!
Back to watches, almost 50 years ago we were on our honeymoon(we are old😢) Anyway, my husband saw a watch he liked and wanted to buy it.  It was a Movado, never heard of it then. It was $40.00, still works and looks great.  He had to get a new watch band so they put a Rolex one on.  So now he has a half a Rolex🤪

• Haha 2

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about jewelry and watches, what's everyone's opinion of the watches they sell on board and the sales they have? I've never really took the time to even look. Do they have any good brands? Are they really that much cheaper than I can find back in the states? I think I know the answer to that but would like others with experience to chime in.

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

'Many of us knew what he meant.'

•  

I'm sure many knew what was meant.

I'm also sure others thought of the US Kay's in the malls.

I guess I made a big mistake thinking it was Kay's in the US.

I will go to the naughty room for a 5 minute time out!

Should I go to confession Saturday?

Any other suggestions? 

Be careful what you ask for. 🤣

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Which one of those did you like the best? I would like to get a Rolex, but I would want to be careful to buy an authentic and not a fake. Some of those are hard to tell except for the ones that don't have a sweeping second hand.

A word of caution. My father-in-law bought a Rolex in the Caribbean about 30 years ago. Kept it in mint condition. He recently passed away and we had it appraised thinking we might sell it as none of the sons particularly wanted in.

it is indeed a Rolex, but it is a low end Rolex that was made specifically for the cruise industry. It has lesser quality metals and a cheaper band. It's worth about $1500. He probably paid double that. I am not telling you not to pay a Rolex there, just know what you are getting. Don't think you are getting a bargain just because it's cheaper than what you would pay in the US. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about jewelry and watches, what's everyone's opinion of the watches they sell on board and the sales they have? I've never really took the time to even look. Do they have any good brands? Are they really that much cheaper than I can find back in the states? I think I know the answer to that but would like others with experience to chime in.

I've bought the DH two Tags over the years. Happy with the purchase

• Like 1