Buying Jewelry

Hi Everyone! 

I’ve been meaning to ask this question for awhile and figure now might be a good time to ask to get a question that’s not about refunds and such! I realize this question may be better asked in the port threads, but I’m asking here since the ports I’m most likely to be in are the ones Royal visits, since I sail royal! That said:

Where do you buy your jewelry in the islands? I’m specifically looking at potential engagement rings to buy on one of my next cruises. Also: are you able to contact any of these places ahead of time, that way I can have something picked out before I arrive (I’ll have limited time away from my girlfriend to get it). 

my next cruise stops in St. Thomas, so I’m most curious there but I’m also very open to suggestions from the other islands as well especially with the cancellations and changes happening, who knows where I’ll wind up!  

thanks!

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've heard of deals and contacting ahead of time. My experience was I could have do better buying here from a local jewelry store. 

I’ve always heard it can be way cheaper to buy in the islands. Is that no longer the case?

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've heard of deals and contacting ahead of time. My experience was I could have do better buying here from a local jewelry store. 

I agree 100%.  There's no way I would buy an expensive piece of jewelry from someone in the islands that I've only known for 15 minutes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree 100%.  There's no way I would buy an expensive piece of jewelry from someone in the islands that I've only known for 15 minutes.

I’d 1000% agree with that concern...part of why I asked here I know I’ve seen some people post that they’ve been shopping at certain stores or had certain people they go to for years. That’s the sort of situation I’m loooking/hoping for here, someone who’s been around and has a good track record. NO WAY I’d just pick a store and buy something. 

Buy the ring ahead of time and give it to girlfriend on the cruise (if that's your plan).  You can always take it back to your local jeweler if you need any adjustments.  Remember to get the ring insured on your homeowners before you leave in case something happens.

• Like 2

Find out the price of the ring you like in the US.  Many of the Caribbean stores have an internet presence and a phone number to call to get information. This is a Princess thread that discusses at length your same situation, with store recommendations.  

Although the thread is from 2009 -- if those stores are still around, that's a good sign:

1 hour ago, ryanbarckley said:

Hi Everyone! 

I’ve been meaning to ask this question for awhile and figure now might be a good time to ask to get a question that’s not about refunds and such! I realize this question may be better asked in the port threads, but I’m asking here since the ports I’m most likely to be in are the ones Royal visits, since I sail royal! That said:

Where do you buy your jewelry in the islands? I’m specifically looking at potential engagement rings to buy on one of my next cruises. Also: are you able to contact any of these places ahead of time, that way I can have something picked out before I arrive (I’ll have limited time away from my girlfriend to get it). 

my next cruise stops in St. Thomas, so I’m most curious there but I’m also very open to suggestions from the other islands as well especially with the cancellations and changes happening, who knows where I’ll wind up!  

thanks!

I am 72 and have been married twice and purchased diamond engagement rings twice.   Also, I have lived overseas and traveled extensively.

First of all, I know that Jewelry is probably the most heavily marked up overpriced item to purchase.  Also, it is difficult for a layperson to know the quality of a diamond or any precious stone.

I suggest that you do some research and find out what makes a diamond valuable.   Much of it is clarity, lack of flaws and color.  Also, size is very important.

Shop around and consider buying from other than a local jewelry store.  There are places where you can find prices closer to wholesale price.    I still don't know quality like an expert, but I do know more than I once did.

When I visited Thailand in 1981, I had read that sapphires and rubies were relatively cheap there, since most of the stones in the world come for Burma and Thailand.   While there, I purchased three rings set in silver, with several stones.  One ring was a ruby and two were sapphires.   I gave them to my Grandmother, Mother and Mother in Law.    Both my Grandmother and Mother had theirs appraised and the appraisals were $1200 and $1500.  I guess that I purchased bargains.

When you buy find out if you get a written guarantee with the size of the stone and quality described.  

41 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Buyer beware. 

I suppose I should have more specifically mentioned this but, yes I know there’s PLENTY of fake crap that I could easily find and over pay for down there. That’s part of why I asked the question here, so I could get a bit more guidance and thoughts from everyone who has some experience doing it. 

this purchase is definitely a ways off but I want to start at least thinking about it.  

8 minutes ago, ryanbarckley said:

I suppose I should have more specifically mentioned this but, yes I know there’s PLENTY of fake crap that I could easily find and over pay for down there. That’s part of why I asked the question here, so I could get a bit more guidance and thoughts from everyone who has some experience doing it. 

this purchase is definitely a ways off but I want to start at least thinking about it.  

Just say'n and expressing my opinion. Exactly why I said buyer beware. As we all know, sometimes when it's to good to be true... It's not just fake crap you need to be aware of. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, ryanbarckley said:

Hi Everyone! 

thanks!

Why not check out your local jewelers or your girlfriend might know a good jewelers that she might have bought from before who might do you a really good price.

Why not let her pick her own ring I'm sure she would appreciate that.

• Like 2

I've thought about buying a new watch in St. Maarten but I am hesitant because I hate all the sales pressure. Most advice I've heard is do your research before hand as to what you want to buy and know the price you can get it for in the US. I have heard stories of people buying watches or jewelry for what they thought was a good price only to find out they could of got it cheaper on Amazon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryanbarckley said:

Hi Everyone! 

thanks!

I have bought a lot of nice jewelry's from Beverly's in STT.  Great people and everything I have bought from them appraised for almost double when I got home.  Have not bought anything in a while, but have had great luck with them. https://beverlys-jewelry.com/.  We always dealt with the owner Jack, but not sure if he has retired or not yet.  But it is a family owned business and is in town.  Hope that helps

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I've thought about buying a new watch in St. Maarten but I am hesitant because I hate all the sales pressure. Most advice I've heard is do your research before hand as to what you want to buy and know the price you can get it for in the US. I have heard stories of people buying watches or jewelry for what they thought was a good price only to find out they could of got it cheaper on Amazon.

We have bought several watches in both St Thomas and St Martin. The Rolex store in St Thomas for a $14k watch in US is about $2k cheaper all things considered. We got good deals on Hublot. RJ, and Patek Philippe. Much better deals on the higher priced brands.  We got burned on Bremont in Jamaica. We visited the US Headquarters in NYC and showed them receipts and they made it good. I wouldn’t advise buying any Jewelry in Jamaica. 

M8

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We got good deals on Hublot. RJ, and Patek Philippe.

Which one of those did you like the best? I would like to get a Rolex, but I would want to be careful to buy an authentic and not a fake. Some of those are hard to tell except for the ones that don't have a sweeping second hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which one of those did you like the best? I would like to get a Rolex, but I would want to be careful to buy an authentic and not a fake. Some of those are hard to tell except for the ones that don't have a sweeping second hand.

Is my Rolex supposed to have a sweeping second hand???🤔

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Why not check out your local jewelers or your girlfriend might know a good jewelers that she might have bought from before who might do you a really good price.

Why not let her pick her own ring I'm sure she would appreciate that.

You should probably get acquainted with your local jeweler because you're going to be buying a lot more stuff.  😉

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The Rolex Store in St Thomas is legit. I had been looking for the blue face Submariner with Stainless and gold band for years. Found it in St Thomas and it saved me easily $2k. It wasn’t on display. I was looking at the Submariner’s in the display and started to walk out when the lady working the counter asked what I was looking for. I told her and she said we have one in the safe. It was history. One of the hardest to find with those specifics. I was happy. Of course you’re supposed to claim the purchase to Customs and pay tax. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which one of those did you like the best?

I forgot to answer this. The boss and I are watch collectors. I wear my Bremont Submarine 500 daily. It’s my beater watch. I only have the one Rolex I mentioned but the boss has at least 5. She has one really pretty one.  The RJ, is neat. It’s a DNA watch Steampunk made from the hull of the Titanic. The boss has the RJ DNA Octopus Titanic. We both got the Hublot Big Bang in Rose Gold. I seldom wear the PP. we have other brands too. Watch collectors are funny people. All but the Bremont we bought in St Thomas. We did buy another Bremont in NYC. You can avoid NY State and NYC tax by shipping to your home State. 

M8

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You should probably get acquainted with your local jeweler because you're going to be buying a lot more stuff.  😉

We have been married 39 years on August 22.

My wife loves all her gold and diamond jewelry and appreciates every piece she has and she picked every piece including her engagement ring.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Best fakes I have seen where sold on the streets on NYC. The city has now put those vendors out of business. They were no longer around last December. Fake purses too, gone. 

M8

The best ... regardless what it is..I'll say "inspired" instead of fake are in Shanghai, China...I love to go to the markets under the Science & Technology Museum. I usually go with my DH or DD once year...but had to skip it of course last year and certainly will this year.

• Like 1