Buying Jewelry

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

Thanks so much for giving good information on this. Now, I'm certainly no expert in jewelry, but I've done a lot of traveling in my day, especially during my Navy career where i was in and out of the gold souks throughout the middle east, now THOSE places were amazing and bargains to be found. As for tanzanite just as an example, found exactly the same settings in stores ashore and on ship. After buying ashore, was happy finding out that doing it there other than on the ship, I saved even more than getting it tax free on board. And, remember during the gulf war I bought a nice 18Kt necklace in Jebel Ali near Dubai and made an amazing deal on that.

What amazes me is when people pay the ticket price in jewellery shops and don't negotiate a discount.

I have seen this when standing waiting while Pauline is looking at and trying on jewellery.

The mark up on jewellery is high and big discounts especially in the Caribbean and Dubai gold souks but even in the UK are there to be had  if you negotiate hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tudy said:

Happily, it turns out you are right. We took the watch to a jeweler who has a certified Rolex repair person. he had a different story to tell. 

Rolex has too much riding on their reputation to put out a sub standard product for a region.  They actually do a good job of limiting production to keep prices and demand high.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Tudy said:

I recommend when purchasing a diamond, asking about a GIA certificate. It gives you recourse if you find out that the diamond is fake or of lessor quality then presented. 

I am thinking about purchasing some loose stones in the future. I will, of course, do my research before going to know exactly what I should be paying.

That was exactly my thinking -- we had a very simple wedding at a synagogue, and no engagement whatsoever.

I decided to buy myself a diamond ring when we could afford it -- it's not a simple decision, like buying a shirt, etc.

I know which colors I like, what fits me better, I look in the mirror and I say: "Yeah" or "No way".

A diamond? It's a lot of money.

I made my lessons, and the 1st thing I've learned was: loose brilliant with a good certificate.

That's the one I've got when buying directly from the Antwerp diamond bourse --

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.c1dee396e702dc912efdbeb15d2b8b49.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I understand that if I purchase something on board I have to use my seapass card. This info gets passed on to customs. 

But, if I purchase a high priced item in port and use a credit card not associated with the cruise line, how would customs even know?

US Citizens are required by law to report purchases over I believe $800. That includes multiple purchases totaling $800 or more. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

US Citizens are required by law to report purchases over I believe $800. That includes multiple purchases totaling $800 or more. 

M8

Went through customs in Seattle after Alaskan cruise. They threw the forms away without looking.

Last Feb in Ft Lauderdale no forms were even handed out.

I personally wouldn't spend big bucks on jewelry because I don't wear much. We actually don't buy much anyway. 

BUT...if I did buy something in port couldn't I say I brought it with me and it's old?

26 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Went through customs in Seattle after Alaskan cruise. They threw the forms away without looking.

Last Feb in Ft Lauderdale no forms were even handed out.

I personally wouldn't spend big bucks on jewelry because I don't wear much. We actually don't buy much anyway. 

BUT...if I did buy something in port couldn't I say I brought it with me and it's old?

I’m not your Conscience. Whether you decide to report is your decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not your Conscience. Whether you decide to report is your decision. 

No, that wasn't my question. Can't report if not given a chance.

I was just wondering if it was possible. I've had my luggage searched at airport customs and don't want to go through that again. We usually spend less than 50 bucks on a 10 night cruise.

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

No, that wasn't my question. Can't report if not given a chance.

I was just wondering if it was possible. I've had my luggage searched at airport customs and don't want to go through that again. We usually spend less than 50 bucks on a 10 night cruise.

Required to report. If you’re under the $800/1600, no worries. Plenty of opportunities.