The Daily for Tuesday Aug 4, 2020

richwmn

today is U.S. Coast Guard Day and National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day

Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.
        -- Andrew Young

Meal suggestion for today - Layered aubergine & lentil bake

Wine of the day - Marchesi di Barolo Barbera del Monferrato Maraia vintage 2017

At Sea Indian
Eurodam destination Kochi eta 8/7
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Kochi eta 8/7
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/15
Westerdam destination unknown at this time
Zuiderdam destination Jakarta

At Sea Mediterranean
Rotterdam destination Gibraltar eta 8/6

At Sea Pacific
Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam

Singapore Area
Noordam

Limassol
Amsterdam
Maasdam
Rotterdam
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0804Neth.png

Off the coast of the Netherlands

0804Pacific.png

Off the Pacific Coast of Central America

0804Indian.png

Indian Ocean

0804Med.png

Former fleet in the Med

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the report.  This will be a hectic day for the Coast Guard units on the Atlantic side.  While I enjoy Chocolate Chip Cookies my guilty pleasure is oatmeal raisin.  Sadly true on the quote.

When I looked on Marine Traffic there was a bunker barge just pulling away from the Amsterdam.  I suspect she may be following the Rotterdam soon.

Allen for good test results.

Sharon's in-laws

AndiLand, now at 1 week of grieving for Clementine

fatcat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

Those in the path of wildfires

Those near the path of Isaias.  I'm thinking of my TA on Maryland's Eastern Shore, Sail, RuthC, Kazu (Kazu, do you still hear from sapper1), and my cousin near Halifax

and Krazy Kruizers

Roy

• Like 9

Good morning.  I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.  Love Chocolate chip cookies and DH's is Oatmeal Raisin, like Roy.  Very cloudy this morning but relieved we missed the storm.  Major prayers for those along the coast with the Hurricane bearing down on them.  Even family in NH are worried.

• Like 5

For you Roy: 

Raisin oatmeal cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are ...

FUN fact: If you eat chocolate chip cookies fast enough FITBIT thinks you're running.

Good morning Rich, thanks for the Fleet update and the Daily. Hats off to our Coast Guard!

Has anyone tried this wine? Been through Piedmont several times, but never heard of this one. I love lentils, may need to do a market run this morning. 

Thank you Roy for the prayer list. Prayers to all who seek and need them. Especially the ones caught in Mother Nature's path.

Good morning my sisters Ann and Denise. How was your evening last night?

The mourning doves are calling and the hummers are already at their feeders. I ordered a hummingbird swing and will hang it up this morning for them. 

Finally! Our sofa is being delivered this morning. Honestly other than the color, I can't recall what it looks like, so it will be a surprise!

Today would have been my Dad's 93rd birthday. Miss you Dad!

Take care my friends, wear your mask. Be kind and know you are loved.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hope this where am I is not too easy.  I have been to this place both on Crystal and Holland America.

whalejaw.JPG.8ac3b1809ec3cd7f4bc11eee431

Roy

That is the Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley, Falkland Islands.  And that is the whalebone arch on the grounds.  I have been there at least 3 times and never turned away due to weather so we are quite lucky in that regard.  I just got an email back from Patrick Watts after I wrote him yesterday cancelling our tour with him.  We also cancelled our Grand S. America and Antarctica cruise yesterday.  So sad about that!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

One thing Patrick mentioned is that there are no flights from South America to the Falklands now and that they have no coronavirus cases.  He said you would have to quarantine 14 days if you arrived there at the present time.  

That makes me wonder how they are doing on supplies. I remember wandering through their grocery store thinking about what it must take to stock it.

• Like 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Hope all is well.

Joy - hope you & Allen get those negative test results soon! I am going to have to look up a “hummingbird swing”. Never heard of it, but it sounds fun.  Next they will want a water slide, a rock climbing wall, a trampoline - and even a zipline! Joy, I think I have had a Barolo a few years ago, when I was in Europe. If I remember, it was a rich, full bodied wine. I will look it up, and edit, if I am way off. Joy, edited to add that this wine is very highly rated, with a great price - under $15 in many places. 

Last evening - life returned to 2020 normal - time in the pool, a fruit smoothie, a visit from Bindi’s squirrel friend, some birds and a couple deer. 

Rich - this meal suggestion sounds very familiar. We might have had the same one within the last week. I am too lazy to check & I love eggplant.

The quote is all too true.

Prayers to everyone who needs support! Hope the storm is less intense than expected.

Stay well everyone!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is the Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley, Falkland Islands.  And that is the whalebone arch on the grounds.  I have been there at least 3 times and never turned away due to weather so we are quite lucky in that regard.  I just got an email back from Patrick Watts after I wrote him yesterday cancelling our tour with him.  We also cancelled our Grand S. America and Antarctica cruise yesterday.  So sad about that!

Well done!

Roy

• Like 2

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I hope everyone in the path of Isaias is staying safe and inside. We’re supposed to get the worse around noontime. I’m watching the Philadelphia tv station right now and Dover De area is being hit hard- tornado warnings issued. 
I think dinner tonight will be leftovers. 
God bless the US Coast Guard. The Cape May base is very important to that area .

Stay safe and keep cool. 
Prayers for all on our list.

• Like 7

These photos are from our March/April 2019 Southern Caribbean Wayfarer cruise on the Konigsdam. We reached 4-Star on this cruise. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get on a Dam ship since then. I want to try out my free laundry!

Saint Lucia, flowers at the Morne Coubaril Estate -

image.thumb.png.aded8a08d2a1c291481d9d7f443f777c.png

Saint Lucia, the Pitons - 

image.thumb.png.81dde0f8f4a11f4bb374df3190df0205.png

Saint Lucia, sunset as we sail away from Soufriere Bay - 

image.thumb.png.8e236260c089dc2202272386c151dad1.png

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am going to have to look up a “hummingbird swing”. Never heard of it, but it sounds fun.  Next they will want a water slide, a rock climbing wall, a trampoline - and even a zipline!

Very funny Cat.. Although I did buy them a hummer house and saw one fly into it yesterday!

• Like 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm a little late to the party - had a bit of a sleep-in!  I send prayers to the Coast Guard folks, especially those on the East coast who will be taking care of issues during Mother Nature's latest hissy fit.  I love chocolate chip cookies, while DH loves raisin, so there's never an issue of him eating the last one.  LOL

I'm on a mask-making hiatus because I accidentally sewed over a metal nose piece and schmucked up my sewing machine, (it's in the sewing machine hospital as we speak), so I'm relegated to helping DH deconstruct and rebuild a storage shed in our yard.  With that in mind, I'm thinking our dinner tonight is going to be leftover pulled pork made into sandwiches, along with some leftover coleslaw.  And wine.   Speaking of wine, a friend of mine sent this to me yesterday - I thought some of you might get a kick out of it; she said for me to substitute "Cardboard O". 

Prayers for all those who need them, and also for those who don't think they do.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Chardonn A.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Rich - this meal suggestion sounds very familiar. We might have had the same one within the last week. I am too lazy to check & I love eggplant.

It is very likely that it is. The list used for selection is only about 100 entries and is chosen randomly. I think it would take about 300 to cut down on the possibility of repeating a meal in a short time, but how many ways can you say "Meat Loaf"?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A little tidbit from the morning TV.  My station has a reporter in Ocean City MD covering Isaias.  He was talking last night to people asking what plans they had to deal with the storm, stay or head home early.  He said about half the people he talked to were really in vacation mode and had no idea a storm was coming.  Now that's vacation mode.

Isaias has been moving rapidly (about 33 mph) and will be gone about 2 hours earlier than originally expected.  Good news.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 5

Good morning, dear people.  Our coast of NC had a lot of water damage and some dangerous tornadoes but we are inland and fine.  Roy and others up the Eastern Seaboard, the tornadoes are scary so pay attention to warnings.  I've never met a chocolate chip cookies I didn't like.

Cindy

• Like 7

Thanks to Rich for his daily report.  DH is making Doubletree cookies today - they have chocolate chips in them so we'll be celebrating as will our neighbours and DD as we like to share.  I hope those in the path of the hurricane will weather the storm.  

• Like 7

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

The Coast Guard will indeed be very busy today, sadly.  

Late today as I was trying to put some outside stuff away and walk the dogs before it is too hot.  Sadly it was already way too muggy.

Here’s a sample of our deer problem here.  Those of you who like them will love the pic.  Those of you who struggle against them and their appetites will understand why I fight them off as much as possible.

This is taken in my neighbour’s yard.  She likes them and can have them.  You can come to within 6’ of them easily - even with dogs!

DB13F503-BE24-49BB-B62A-D8A983850FC8.jpeg.88fc9e091eeecd9d0a8e8dd3ebfad854.jpeg

Hope everyone in the path of the storm can stay safe.

Prayers to them and everyone on our care list.

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks for the Daily.

I am late to the party because DH and I went for a drive this morning.  Cool and rainy here but we are lucky.  We needed the rain, the crops look good.  Eastern Ontario had tornadoes.

The quote is unfortunately too true.  We send a thanks to the Coast Guard.  I made chocolate chip cookies last week.

Love the maps.  Thanks to everyone who share their pictures.

Sending prayers to everyone on the care list.

Have a good day everyone.  Stay safe.  Stay healthy.

• Like 5