Carnival Scaled Back Too Much

Je Souhaite

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes several times. Well it's easy to find a bridge game, but wasnt really my cup of tea.

Rcl I like free drinks loyalty pts. So right now I lean toward rcl. 5 rcl booked and 1 ccl.

duplicate

Edited by PhillyFan33579

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes several times. Well it's easy to find a bridge game, but wasnt really my cup of tea.

Rcl I like free drinks loyalty pts. So right now I lean toward rcl. 5 rcl booked and 1 ccl.

duplicate

Edited by PhillyFan33579

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Always the optimist.  What does American airlines and doug Parker have to do with cruising and Carnival?  I would love to hear the answer......

It's Business 101....get rid of the bottom feeders (bottom 10%) and focus on the top 10%.

There's nothing more annoying than finding out your cabin neighbor paid half of what you paid.

I'd vote for "stabilizing prices".  When people discover that "the price is the price" there won't be game playing. 

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

You started with Carnival shortly after I stopped. It used to be great and at the time, it was one of my favorite brands. You would be surprised at how the content of my posts have changed around that time. It’s honestly sad how one specific unfortunate and escalated event, followed by a lot of cost cutting measures in a short period of time that directly lowered your perceived value and then a disappointing experience can really change one’s own opinion. 

At the time when I stopped sailing Carnival, the cutbacks all seemed very important to me. When I later returned to Carnival seven years later, I didn’t miss them. They were noticeable if I went looking for them but were in the background. Apart from the noticeable few, I couldn’t tell you... it’s been so long ago and I was trying to have a nice cruise instead of searching for negativity. It was nice to see how Carnival changed and I didn’t hate it. I’m not sure when I’d be back on another but at least I know, it no longer accommodates my vacation needs.

I can understand this.  When a product changes, even though the changes might not be huge, it can diminish the enjoyment.  If it weren't for the comedy shows, I would probably always cruise on RCL.  We just really like comedy shows.  It's how we can relax and let go.  Kind of a huge de-stresser.  Anyway, I definitely see the appeal of other lines.  If I liked theater shows, I would choose RCL's largest ships.  Completely amazing and that's an understatement.  But when I cruise with just my husband, we want to kick back.  I know there are negatives about Carnival, but I can roll with them and have a great time.  It might help that I am not comparing their product now to something it was many years ago. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are exceptions like TAs, but most Carnival cruises take people from point A back to point A. 

Airlines usually do also on the return flight. Sure, some flights are reserved one way — just like repositioning cruises — but the general public books roundtrip 🙂 

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I can understand this.  When a product changes, even though the changes might not be huge, it can diminish the enjoyment.  If it weren't for the comedy shows, I would probably always cruise on RCL.  We just really like comedy shows.  It's how we can relax and let go.  Kind of a huge de-stresser.  Anyway, I definitely see the appeal of other lines.  If I liked theater shows, I would choose RCL's largest ships.  Completely amazing and that's an understatement.  But when I cruise with just my husband, we want to kick back.  I know there are negatives about Carnival, but I can roll with them and have a great time.  It might help that I am not comparing their product now to something it was many years ago. 

Truthfully, I think I narrowed it down to the domino effect of one incident followed by the cutbacks and then being disappointed. All is well though — it helped me find Princess which led to a lot of enjoyable cruises to destinations Carnival never would have been able to take me to. It also helped me figure out exactly what I am looking for when selecting travel options, including those outside of cruising.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's Business 101....get rid of the bottom feeders (bottom 10%) and focus on the top 10%.

There's nothing more annoying than finding out your cabin neighbor paid half of what you paid.

I'd vote for "stabilizing prices".  When people discover that "the price is the price" there won't be game playing. 

But . . . but . . but, that's the only reason I have 33 cruises on Carnival . . . . PRICE ! 😏

(and priority boarding)

14 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

We've been on Carnival, Princess, Royal, HAL and Crystal. Crystal is our absolute favorite, but HAL comes a close second (DH might put HAL first, but we had a Neptune suite, so he's biased). Then Royal, then Carnival, then Princess. I just found Princess to be a little dull. The shows in the atrium always bugged me because of the people that would save a table at 6 o'clock in the morning and park there until 10 pm at night. I guess there's just this mindset with the mass market crowd that they MUST HAVE these seats, loungers, tables, whatever and NO ONE ELSE can have them. Maybe it's on all the lines, but I haven't seen it as much as I have on Carnival, RCI and Princess.

I’m not sure I’m ready for HAL... I’m in an entirely different age group. I just don’t see how I’d be able to enjoy it with that passenger mix. I did notice what you’re saying though on the Coral Princess.

Another discussion on cutbacks and how "industry leader has a terrible business model".

I'm seeing lots of reasons why people like RCI in here. I'm having a hard time correlating it to "cutbacks" on Carnival, yet not on RCI. Both evolve their models. Both remove things that aren't working. Some people are listing things about Royal's large ships. Nothing wrong with that. I believe Carnival did miss out by not investing in the big ships. I think Mardi Gras is a step in the right direction.

Carnival's product is just fine. It's not for everyone, but no product is. If they could improve anything, I would say it's in the stage shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree that RCI’s loyalty program is significantly better than Carnival’s, but personally I don’t cruise for loyalty points. If I did I would have stayed loyal to Carnival simply to reach Diamond, instead of booking cruises on RCI and Celebrity. 

I don’t compare Carnival to Celebrity since Celebrity is more of an upscale cruise line, but I currently prefer RCI over Carnival for many reasons:
- RCI ‘s ships are nicer

- There is more to do on RCI ships

- The MDR menus are more diverse on RCI

- The food is better on RCI. I realize food is subjective, but both my wife and I think the food is better on RCI. 
- The shows are way better on RCI

- The comedy shows are better on RCI. While we have heard very good comedians on Carnival, we have also heard very bad ones on Carnival. RCI tends to have higher profile comedians who are hilarious. 
- The adult solarium area on RCI ships blows away the Serenity area on Carnival ships. However, I am a big fan of the Serenity area on Spirit class ships. 
- RCI uses tablecloths every night in the MDR

- Cabin stewards service your cabin multiple times per day on RCI compared to Carnival stewards asking if you want morning, evening or both service

- Trivia is more fun on RCI. I stopped playing trivia on Carnival due to people cheating all the time. 
- You can use the drink package on RCI’s islands like CocoCay

- The revamped CocCay is spectacular

- I like the self-dispensing drink machines on RCI. I always feel bad that kids who want a soda have to go to a bar on Carnival ships. 
- Carnival ships can get quite crowded, especially during peak seasons. I have never felt crowded on an RCI ship. 
- I enjoy listening to piano players and prefer the Schooner Bar setup on RCI ships over the Piano Bar setup on Carnival’s ships. 
- This doesn’t impact me directly, but RCI’s drink package is unlimited while Cheers limits you to 15 drinks per day. 
- It wasn’t always this way, but lately (prior to cruising coming to a halt) the service in the MDR has been a lot better on RCI ships. 
- I prefer the plastic doors on the showers on RCI over the curtains on the showers on Carnival. 

All of these issues/areas by themselves are not a big deal. But when you add them all up, both my wife and I agree the overall cruising experience is a lot more enjoyable on RCI ships these days. I also understand a lot of people probably don’t care about a lot of these issues, which is why everyone isn’t going to prefer the same cruise line over other cruise lines. 

Good pts most of which I wasnt aware of as a solo cruiser except shows being bad on carnival. I dont think I could drink 15 drinks in one day and still walk around lol. If I drink 3 or more I have a hang over and the next day is ruined so I drink some wine a few nights, but dont drink daily. I've also changed to water not soda so never paid attention too much. Not good for the kids having to go to the bars on ccl. I agree.

Edited by firefly333

52 minutes ago, glrounds said:

But . . . but . . but, that's the only reason I have 33 cruises on Carnival . . . . PRICE ! 😏

(and priority boarding)

And right now the vista cruise on ccl I booked because of the obc costs more than the 5 I have booked on rcl comparatively. Yes price is a factor for me too. Carnival used to usually be cheaper, but not with so many having $600 obc pushing up the prices. 

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

(and priority boarding)

I've found NCL better price-wise, especially because I'm retired and live by the port so I can book last minute.  Nobody likes a good sale (and sail) as much as I do.  

Given the same price, I'd choose NCL.  (I'm platinum on both, so I get priority boarding on both...lol)

But, as a former business woman, you make more money from people who have money and want to spend money than those who buy the product ONLY because it's inexpensive.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Since you mentioned Business 101, one of the basic principles that drives most industries is supply and demand. In the travel industry, especially hotels, airlines and cruise lines, there has always been a wide variance in prices paid based on this principle. I don’t expect this to change in the future, even with all the chaos created by the current coronavirus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Traditionally consumer loyalty ties directly to manufacturer price. When a competitor introduces and/or lowers a similar priced item then consumers are more apt and willing to try them out. Carnival has consistently continued to offer an exceptional product for an affordable family venture. Unless the competition drastically lowers their re-entry pricing, I will still be sailing the Carnival Red/White/Blue Funnel Brigade. Loyalty Matters!!!

26 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I've found NCL better price-wise, especially because I'm retired and live by the port so I can book last minute.  Nobody likes a good sale (and sail) as much as I do.  

Given the same price, I'd choose NCL.  (I'm platinum on both, so I get priority boarding on both...lol)

But, as a former business woman, you make more money from people who have money and want to spend money than those who buy the product ONLY because it's inexpensive.

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So which is it, stabilize prices or let you get a better price?

And how do you find out what price others have paid? I have never shared that or had anyone else share their information with me? If you were fine with the price you were paying for the cruise you wanted, why should it matter what someone else might have paid (or claimed they had paid)?

Edited by ontheweb
punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

We've been on Carnival, Princess, Royal, HAL and Crystal. Crystal is our absolute favorite, but HAL comes a close second (DH might put HAL first, but we had a Neptune suite, so he's biased). Then Royal, then Carnival, then Princess. I just found Princess to be a little dull. The shows in the atrium always bugged me because of the people that would save a table at 6 o'clock in the morning and park there until 10 pm at night. I guess there's just this mindset with the mass market crowd that they MUST HAVE these seats, loungers, tables, whatever and NO ONE ELSE can have them. Maybe it's on all the lines, but I haven't seen it as much as I have on Carnival, RCI and Princess.

I agree with you regarding HAL.  We have 35 cruises with Carnival and also sail Princess, Royal & NCL.  We have cruised on Celebrity a few times as well.

HAL has a great product.  We enjoy the shows (especially the Rolling Stone Rock and BB King Blues shows).  The ships are well maintained and the staff is wonderful.  We like their itineraries, they do more than the Caribbean.  Do they cost more than Carnival?  Mainly, yes but you can find good deals on HAL.  

I'm actually hoping for a price drop on my sept 2021 vista cruise. Prime hurricane season, it has a good chance of dropping from what I paid last friday. It's as much as $100 more than what I paid for similar or maybe a little better on rcl. Not a huge difference I admit. But still ccl booking is off season and usually less than rcl. Rcl has been offering better prices out of Galveston on nicer ships. Hence just the one ccl to add variance. I switch back and forth before when I was doing up to 8 cruises a year and it got to where I'd seen all the shows and knew the menus by heart.

Ccl and rcl my only choices out of Galveston and right now it's too much bother to fly. 

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

I’m not sure I’m ready for HAL... I’m in an entirely different age group. I just don’t see how I’d be able to enjoy it with that passenger mix. I did notice what you’re saying though on the Coral Princess.

We are retired.  HAL in Alaska was toooo old for us. ;D

We have not tried the skyscraper-on-a-raft class of cruiseships with 10,000 people aboard.  Hope to avoid that as long as possible. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So which is it, stabilize prices or let you get a better price?

And how do you find out what price others have paid? I have never shared that or had anyone else share their information with me? If you were fine with the price you were paying for the cruise you wanted, why should it matter what someone else might have paid (or claimed they had paid)?

You are confusing what I do from a personal perspective to what the cruiseline should do from a business perspective.

I monitor prices...that's how I know what people pay.  To be honest, I'm probably the one who  pays half the price of my cabin neighbor.  But there are those who claim they hardly gamble, yet they get free cruises (as I'm losing my money).

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree that RCI’s loyalty program is significantly better than Carnival’s, but personally I don’t cruise for loyalty points. If I did I would have stayed loyal to Carnival simply to reach Diamond, instead of booking cruises on RCI and Celebrity. 

I don’t compare Carnival to Celebrity since Celebrity is more of an upscale cruise line, but I currently prefer RCI over Carnival for many reasons:
- RCI ‘s ships are nicer

- There is more to do on RCI ships

- The MDR menus are more diverse on RCI

- The food is better on RCI. I realize food is subjective, but both my wife and I think the food is better on RCI. 
- The shows are way better on RCI

- The comedy shows are better on RCI. While we have heard very good comedians on Carnival, we have also heard very bad ones on Carnival. RCI tends to have higher profile comedians who are hilarious. 
- The adult solarium area on RCI ships blows away the Serenity area on Carnival ships. However, I am a big fan of the Serenity area on Spirit class ships. 
- RCI uses tablecloths every night in the MDR

- Cabin stewards service your cabin multiple times per day on RCI compared to Carnival stewards asking if you want morning, evening or both service

- Trivia is more fun on RCI. I stopped playing trivia on Carnival due to people cheating all the time. 
- You can use the drink package on RCI’s islands like CocoCay

- The revamped CocCay is spectacular

- I like the self-dispensing drink machines on RCI. I always feel bad that kids who want a soda have to go to a bar on Carnival ships. 
- Carnival ships can get quite crowded, especially during peak seasons. I have never felt crowded on an RCI ship. 
- I enjoy listening to piano players and prefer the Schooner Bar setup on RCI ships over the Piano Bar setup on Carnival’s ships. 
- This doesn’t impact me directly, but RCI’s drink package is unlimited while Cheers limits you to 15 drinks per day. 
- It wasn’t always this way, but lately (prior to cruising coming to a halt) the service in the MDR has been a lot better on RCI ships. 
- I prefer the plastic doors on the showers on RCI over the curtains on the showers on Carnival. 

All of these issues/areas by themselves are not a big deal. But when you add them all up, both my wife and I agree the overall cruising experience is a lot more enjoyable on RCI ships these days. I also understand a lot of people probably don’t care about a lot of these issues, which is why everyone isn’t going to prefer the same cruise line over other cruise lines. 

Sounds like you really enjoy the competition. My family sailed on one RCI cruise many years ago. We found some of the passengers to be quite reserved (trying to keep in nice here. For whatever reason there were many noses in the air). For that reason we tried Carnival, saved a ton of money (were not "a la carted" to the maximum and just had a great adventure). 

Years later we still don't mind spending less to get more true passenger engagement.        

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Sounds like you really enjoy the competition. My family sailed on one RCI cruise many years ago. We found some of the passengers to be quite reserved (trying to keep in nice here. For whatever reason there were many noses in the air). For that reason we tried Carnival, saved a ton of money (were not "a la carted" to the maximum and just had a great adventure). 

Years later we still don't mind spending less to get more true passenger engagement.        

Not sure what your comment about enjoying competition means. I have never had a problem meeting other people on any cruise, no matter what cruise line we were on. However, I am fairly outgoing so meeting people has never been an issue for me. My challenge is I am bad at remembering names of people I just met. 

I have always liked Carnival which is why my wife and I have over 30 cruises on Carnival. But Carnival has made a lot of changes over the years to the point that we now prefer sailing on RCI and Celebrity more. 

• Like 1