Fingers Crossed MSC sails from US Soon. But when?

Fogfog

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

If you were like me--you teared up seeing MSC sail away from Genova the other day.

We have B2B booked for Jan. Fingers crossed it sails.

Saw this item and wonder what your thoughts are...https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/no-normalcy-cruising-until-2023-predicts-larry-pimentel

I agree with Carolyn Spencer Brown's criticisms of the cruise industry, the CDC, and the media.  

Clearly, we in the United States are not at the point where cruising ought to start.  When will it be?  I doubt that Alexa has an answer to that.  2023 does seem a bit extreme to me, however.  

Pimentel was flat-out wrong. To wit:

"The runway is very long here… You’re not going to see many vessels this year, at all – if any – for the remainder of the year', said Pimentel, who resigned from Azamara in April

Unless he was talking about Azamara, the statement that "you're not going to see many vessels this year, at all - if any," was refuted by the recent sailing of the MSC Grandiosa. Why do experts like him make sweeping generalizations like that when a single exception instantly invalidates them? Better to say something like "there will be a few sailings in 2020, but it will take a long time to get back to pre-COVID levels." Instead he says there will be none, and he's wrong.

Edited by DCGuy64
Added closing quotes

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm booked on the Meraviglia for a November 14 sailing.  So far, it has not been cancelled.  We are now past final payment.

Seaside, November 8th for us.  I confess incurable optimism, but I will not discount the Apontes giving it a go.  Port Canaveral IS NOT in the hotspot of South Florida.  If MSC chooses to make a go of it I'm thinking this may be the most reasonable.

We are booked on a back to back on the Seaside for Feb 2021 which I booked, not driven by optimism, but by ridiculously cheap fares and a generous cancelation policy. 

With MSC relaunching in the Mediterranean, I’m becoming more optimistic about my cruise, which is still 6 months away. It’s crazy to think about all the changes that have happened since the cruise industry shut down in the USA just 5 months ago. Hopefully a lot of things (positive ones) will happen in the upcoming 6 months which will make my cruise a reality. 

Edited by Tapi

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm booked on the Meraviglia for a November 14 sailing.  So far, it has not been cancelled.  We are now past final payment.

A 125% FCC is coming your way, and will be confirmed sometime soon! 😉

1 hour ago, Geobugs said:

Do I lose my deposit if I cancel a cruise booked prior to August 5th? Since I have no protection.

For December 12 sailing; Yacht Club bookings went into deposit loss penalty starting  August 12th, regular cabins deposit loss starts September 13th which is also the final payment date.  Assuming that you booked in the US your deposit is refundable within the above parameters.  If you booked before August 5th you are not eligible for the Total CruiseFlex plan and so far MSC has not extended the Cruise Assurance plan for those booked prior to August 5th.

3 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

We paid in full, ignoring the deposit.  Was any part of our cruise non-refundable?  Like a $49 deposit?

If you booked a regular cabin all the money is currently refundable if you decide to cancel before September 13th.  If you booked Yacht Club currently all the money is refundable except the deposit. 

ETA:  There was a minimum deposit amount required by MSC even if you paid in full at the time of booking.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

Everyone traveling with a person who tests positive will be denied boarding.  For the current Grandiosa and Magnifica sailing MSC is offering special insurance to cover people for this possibility.

8 hours ago, Geobugs said:

I am hoping the Merviglia changes to Port Canaveral for my December 12th sailing.  I don't know if that is possible, but would save me 2 hours of driving. 

I enjoyed my sailing on Meraviglia and would be pleased to sail on her again if she would sail from Port Canaveral or Port Everglades.  From Port of Miami, not sure that I want to endure that embarkation experience again at that port.  Even as a YC guest.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I enjoyed my sailing on Meraviglia and would be pleased to sail on her again if she would sail from Port Canaveral or Port Everglades.  From Port of Miami, not sure that I want to endure that embarkation experience again at that port.  Even as a YC guest.  

We prefer Seaside, we have sailed Meraviglia as well. She will be sailing from Port Canaveral thru March 2021. After that Divina will take over. We sailed MSC Peziosa, sister of Divina, and we loved her as well.  

Still keeping fingers crossed that our New Years cruise on the Seaside will be sailing. It begins on Dec. 27 so if all 2020 cruises are cancelled we will be out of luck again. Happy to see that a couple of the Med cruises are "testing the waters" and hopeful that they will be successful and encourage the industry to begin US cruises as well.

10 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Still keeping fingers crossed that our New Years cruise on the Seaside will be sailing. It begins on Dec. 27 so if all 2020 cruises are cancelled we will be out of luck again. Happy to see that a couple of the Med cruises are "testing the waters" and hopeful that they will be successful and encourage the industry to begin US cruises as well.

We are booked on that cruise as well. I started a roll call and requested an M&M. Looks like the roll call date thinks it's a 10-day (added 3 days as a back-to-back to the proper 7 days). I didn't do that, I think the itineraries are pre-loaded.

We are also booked on Seaside and hoping. The new report from the WHO is asymtomatic people cannot spreadand masks are unnecessary, they actually cause more issues breathing your own exhalation.   We are not new to MSC. But sailing on Seaside is new. I do not care where we go, as long as we get to go to Ocean Cay we are happy. That is one great island! We are doing a b2b2b, nov 8, nov12 and Nov 15...booked as 3 separate.