When are you booked to cruise? Do you think it will happen?

suec12

I am booked on an 11 night Caribbean on the Nieuw Statendam for 3/31/21.  At this point I give it less than a 20% chance of operating.  We have just enough money on it that if they cancel prior to final payment due date and continue to offer the 200% deposit FCC bonus we will get the max amount possible and far more than if we are paid in full and they cancel with a 125% FCC offer.  Even when final comes due at end of December we plan on paying so that if/when they cancel we will qualify for an 125% FCC.  I have a Panama canal cruise with HAL in March 2022 on the Volendam that those bonus FCC amounts could come in handy.  If for some reason by Mid February HAL has NOT cancelled and we don't feel like cruising at end of March we will cancel prior to the 30 day cutoff to get a 100% FCC that we will apply to 2022.  No matter what we are not out any monies (unless CCL goes chapter 7 and leaves ALL of us in the lurch!)

In short - not hopeful for early 2021 but hedging our bets so we come out with the most FCC to apply to 2022 if needs be

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We’re booked on a January, 2021 Antarctica cruise. That’s almost half a year from now.  I won’t mind being one of those who get on board soon after cruising resumes.   Unfortunately it’s getting a little less likely to be on Holland America, as we’d prefer the ships that were sold over the newer ones.

In early February we booked a 20 day South America cruise for January of 2022 with Oceania. I'm cautiously optimistic. I think there is a fair chance that a workable vaccine will be available by that time.

Although  I would be OK with most of the precautions that are in place, I've gotten used to wearing a mask (required at work) and I can deal with reservations for dinner, it would be a deal breaker for me if we could only do ship excursions.

2 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

We’re booked on a January, 2021 Antarctica cruise. That’s almost half a year from now.  I won’t mind being one of those who get on board soon after cruising resumes.   Unfortunately it’s getting a little less likely to be on Holland America, as we’d prefer the ships that were sold over the newer ones.

Good news with that itinerary is a large portion is scenic cruising so no contact with the outside world.  Bad news you have to go to South America to board.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Good news with that itinerary is a large portion is scenic cruising so no contact with the outside world.  Bad news you have to go to South America to board.

Yes.  It is on Princess with fewer ports of call, I think, than Westerdam, but yeah, virus conditions in Buenos Aires and Santiago will be crucial.

Already got an April 2022 cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Koningsdam.  We are waiting for the November 2021 Caribbean cruise list to come out.  Mostly a go for both, unless either for health reasons or we are still wearing masks/social distancing.  Don't know what to do if it is the former, but for the latter, we will be out.

Edited by saturn93

New Years on the Niew Amsterdam and March 2021 on the Oosterdam..I have more confidence in New Years at this Point than Australia but we are not throwing in the towel.  HAL will have to cancel us, not the other way around. I pray we can sail.  I miss travel a ton but I am just sick when I think of the crew and all of the other services that rely on cruising to make a living..hotels, restaurants, taxi, tour operators, food providers and on and on. 

• Like 1

Have a B2B Alaska on Seabourn booked in July - will be our 7th cruise up there so if it doesn't go, we won't be heartbroken.  Also booked the 45 night South Pacific cruise on Volendam in October 2021 - we're fairly optimistic that one, over a year from now, will sail.  

• Like 1

Have Oceania for May 2021 and HAL Sept 2021- both European cruises. I’m past childbearing years, have no issues with masks or hand washing requirements as this has become normal for me at work. I don’t spend much time in the public places on a cruise. My arm is available to any pharmaceutical company that wishes to vaccinate me. 

• Like 3

October 5 2021 on a Star Clippers Greek Island itinerary.   I liked the fact that when you contacted them they were VERY clear that as long as you canceled 120 days out you got an IMMEDIATE refund of your deposit.    While I don't know if this will go, at least we have SOMETHING to look forward to!!!

I have canceled (or have been canceled on) itineraries in April 2020, August 2020, October 2020 and January 2021. As a result of doing "lift and shift" or rebookings, I have the following currently:  

• Expedition cruise on Hurtigruten to Greenland then Iceland in May 2021 -- as of now maybe 30% chance of it going. 
  • BTB Med cruises on Celebrity in late September/early October 2021 -- I'd put that one considerably higher, perhaps 66%.
  • HAL South America and Antarctic cruising in January 2022 on Westerdam -- depends on how things go in South America I think, so still too far out to guess. A bigger unanswered question (to me, anyway) is whether the ship will ACTUALLY do any Antarctic cruising...
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

My focus is shifting from will it go to what will the experience be like......

Same with me. Starting to look more at some land-based trips over the next few years even thought I had planned to do several bucket-list cruises. May have to flip-flop those in my "travel plan".

Two cancelled for this year, 3 on the books for January, February and December of 2021.  I've no hope for any but the December one - and that's 50/50 at the moment.  

I totally agree about January and February (mine are February and March). I’m more hopeful than 50% that December will be a go. I’m still hoping for July and August, although both in Europe so not totally expecting these.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:
  • HAL South America and Antarctic cruising in January 2022 on Westerdam -- depends on how things go in South America I think, so still too far out to guess. A bigger unanswered question (to me, anyway) is whether the ship will ACTUALLY do any Antarctic cruising...

We have a Celebrity in Jan 2022 too, that has the same big Question looming over the cruise. Will we even do any Antarctic below 60 degrees. 

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

My focus is shifting from will it go to what will the experience be like......

Us too. Its looking more like Spring/Summer 2021 before we will have any information on that front. We are just about ready to cancel our Feb/Mar Asia B2B ourselves before waiting for HAL. Maybe then we can get our FCDs back as FCDs and not FCCs.

This thread just got me thinking of our next HAL cruise which is on the Noordam (from Yokohama) in April.   The Noordam is currently scheduled to start a long Asia cruise season on December 20 from Singapore.  I just looked on my marine software and noticed that the Noordam is currently cruising (at 12 knots) just off the coast of Sri Lanka so I assume it is still returning crew members home.  Does anyone actually think that Singapore (or anyone else in Asia) will allow cruise ships in December? 

I have serious doubts they will even be able to cruise in Asia anytime in 2021....but we shall have to wait and see.

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at October November 2021 62 day Australia   Not booked yet but going to decide before the have it all promotion is over. Hesitant to put money out again it took so long to get it refunded from trans Atlantic April cruise.   Sure miss cruising and the anticipation of planning   

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 2:59 AM, slb1949 said:

Looking at October November 2021 62 day Australia   Not booked yet but going to decide before the have it all promotion is over. Hesitant to put money out again it took so long to get it refunded from trans Atlantic April cruise.   Sure miss cruising and the anticipation of planning   

I just cancelled a cruise (outside of final payment) early last week - the deposit refund was back on my CC within 3 days.  I think the hangup in refunds was cruises cancelled by HAL where the refunds were being processed manually rather than via automation.  Even manually processed refunds seem to be coming faster than they initially were.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2