Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

23 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It is Magdalenefjorden. As is obvious this isn’t one of the current fleet. it was Caronia in 2002 and this WAS our port. We all tendered ashore where “The Most Northerly Bar In The World” had been set up and had a barbecue lunch on the beach.

I’ll see if I can upload the video to the Cruise Video thread. I think it’s still on VHS.

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Excellent! Great to learn about different experiences such as this from cruises on the former Cunard ships. I've managed to find Caronia itineraries from 2003-4, but not earlier. Magdalenefjorden definitely qualifies as a new port to add to my list. And now I know the true northernmost Cunard port. Thanks for posting that photo.

And here would be the most southerly place (a cruise-by in this instance rather than a port, but I read that on earlier voyages QV has put tenders ashore to drop supplies to the lighthouse keepers).

image.thumb.png.9f2a5222307b9e6beace1ed3f7b3ae65.png

A slightly closer picture of the lighthouse.  Apologies for the gloomy weather, although it is very rarely any better, and often quite worse.  We were lucky to have calm seas on the day.

image.thumb.png.017f37bcafe251eb365625de00093f46.png

3 minutes ago, sfred said:

And here would be the most southerly place (a cruise-by in this instance rather than a port, but I read that on earlier voyages QV has put tenders ashore to drop supplies to the lighthouse keepers).

image.thumb.png.9f2a5222307b9e6beace1ed3f7b3ae65.png

A slightly closer picture of the lighthouse.  Apologies for the gloomy weather, although it is very rarely any better, and often quite worse.  We were lucky to have calm seas on the day.

image.thumb.png.017f37bcafe251eb365625de00093f46.png

Would that be Cape Horn then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

This is not a new port.

4.jpg

I figured this might be Liverpool, but I couldn't get this photo to match the Liverpool skyline as hard as I tried. That was until I figured out we are looking from Liverpool across the Mersey to Birkenhead. My research tells me that prominent structure toward the right is the Woodside Ventilation Station for the Queensway Mersey Tunnel. This port is Liverpool.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another webcam image I found in my archives. I thought I was out of images of new ports to contribute, but we haven't seen this port here yet.

image.png.e3f120931bcf708f2de1cf4dd07ecc3c.png

Hi @bluemarble.  The port is Fremantle WA.  I'm surprised we didn't have this port prior to now.  But a search for Fremantle in this topic didn't produce any hits, so I guess not. 

I don't have any good photos of Fremantle in my collection, despite embarking QM2 there in February 2018 for a pleasant domestic trip back to Sydney.  Must have left my phone in our cabin that day.

• Like 1

That is indeed Fremantle. That webcam image was from several years ago. As you know, QM2's last call to Fremantle earlier this year ended up being the last call of her 2020 world voyage (for most passengers). Here's hoping her next call to Fremantle is under more pleasant circumstances.

Here is a QE bridge webcam image showing sunset at another port we haven't seen here yet. Since there isn't much to go on in this image, here is a hint. This is another "last" for Cunard. This image is from several years ago and shows the last time QE called at this port. Her next scheduled call less than a month later was canceled during the voyage. A call to this same port by QV less than two weeks after that was also canceled. No Cunard ships have been back to this port since.

image.png.b09d40875cbb2b57477d8dcccdcbcb85.png

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another webcam image I found in my archives. I thought I was out of images of new ports to contribute, but we haven't seen this port here yet.

image.png.e3f120931bcf708f2de1cf4dd07ecc3c.png

I really should have got this one. My excuse is that I never got to see that side of the terminal. Having travelled all the way to Fremantle this was as far as we got before having to head home again...

DSC02159.JPG

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I figured this might be Liverpool, but I couldn't get this photo to match the Liverpool skyline as hard as I tried. That was until I figured out we are looking from Liverpool across the Mersey to Birkenhead. My research tells me that prominent structure toward the right is the Woodside Ventilation Station for the Queensway Mersey Tunnel. This port is Liverpool.

You are correct.  I thought it might catch people out being the view from Liverpool.

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Correct.

How about this. Sailaways from what I'm fairly sure is a new port for this thread.

013a.JPG

013b.JPG

I'm going with Invergordon, Scotland as the port for this one. Looks like these views may be from the vicinity of Cromarty, Scotland.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Hattie said:

@bluemarble is keeping the list, I'm sure he can let us know !

Yes, we did mention Invergordon previously as the port connected with @exlondoner's photo which we identified as QE meeting HMS Queen Elizabeth in Moray Firth. Those photos of @Colin_Cameron's are closer in to Invergordon, so maybe that's the thought there.

• Like 1