Why won’t Regent cancel November 2020 cruises?

mmcguir

Can't blame anyone for taking a refund at this point.  For me, I'd rather have the cash back in hand - with the flexibility to book later when cruising hopefully returns to something closer to a normal experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Can't blame anyone for taking a refund at this point.  For me, I'd rather have the cash back in hand - with the flexibility to book later when cruising hopefully returns to something closer to a normal experience.

Even I plan to book a new voyage, but I will also consider taking a refund first and give up the extra 25% offer. It's because if you choose FCC to rebook a cruise next year but that cruise would also be cancelled later, you cannot choose for refund in the next time. Once a FCC is chosen, it will remain as FCC even after further cancellations.

In my opinion, both the 125% FCC and the "alternative cruise" are marketing strategies designed to make you feel that you are benefiting by agreeing to let Regent keep your money, interest free, until you cruise again. Please don't fall for it. It does not benefit you. It benefits the cruise line.

My recommendation to anyone in this situation is to take the refund, put the money back in your pocket, and book a cruise once you know it is actually sailing and you are comfortable with the protocols. 

Tom.

• Like 6

On 10/7/2020 at 8:42 PM, Cruise Wonderland said:

Even I plan to book a new voyage, but I will also consider taking a refund first and give up the extra 25% offer. It's because if you choose FCC to rebook a cruise next year but that cruise would also be cancelled later, you cannot choose for refund in the next time. Once a FCC is chosen, it will remain as FCC even after further cancellations.

Agree. To add to the dilemma, let’s say that the cruise you had booked with FCC’s does sail, but the onboard and onshore experience is so different and so limited (a strong possibility especially for the early cruises) that it doesn’t meet your expectations of a Regent cruise experience as you have come to expect. Personally, I would feel ripped off and disappointed that I spent so much money on a cruise that was so different than what I was accustomed to and expected for a premium price. I must admit that my life doesn’t revolve around cruising so I won’t cruise until the facts come out from real cruises and lets me know what the entire experience will look like under the “new normal”. Until then, I will keep my cancelled cruise cash in hand, stay safe, sit back and watch what happens, and enjoy the little things in life because there is so much to enjoy and be thankful for, even in these COVID-19 times.

• Like 6

Our first experience with Regent was supposed to be last March, which was of course canceled.  At the time we figured there's no way this wouldn't have all blown over by the end of the year, so we took the 125% FCC and rebooked a shorter cruise departing on Dec 7th.  At this point, I'm really hoping for another cancellation for exactly the reasons pappy1022 mentioned above.  Assuming they actually do start sailing again on December 1st, ours will be one of the first to go out since re-engaging after the shut down.  I'm not sure I want to be a part of that experiment, especially given how much we have invested in this and how high our expectations were.  I'm afraid all the new limitations, constant "testing" (who even knows that entails - daily nasal swabs?) and whatever other post-pandemic restrictions they'll be implementing may make for a pretty disappointing experience. 

25 minutes ago, Geldankat said:

Our first experience with Regent was supposed to be last March, which was of course canceled.  At the time we figured there's no way this wouldn't have all blown over by the end of the year, so we took the 125% FCC and rebooked a shorter cruise departing on Dec 7th.  At this point, I'm really hoping for another cancellation for exactly the reasons pappy1022 mentioned above.  Assuming they actually do start sailing again on December 1st, ours will be one of the first to go out since re-engaging after the shut down.  I'm not sure I want to be a part of that experiment, especially given how much we have invested in this and how high our expectations were.  I'm afraid all the new limitations, constant "testing" (who even knows that entails - daily nasal swabs?) and whatever other post-pandemic restrictions they'll be implementing may make for a pretty disappointing experience. 

Regent Reassurance provides some measure of safety - if you don't like the terms, cancel.

Yup, I understand we can still cancel up to two weeks ahead of the sail date, but I'm assuming - maybe incorrectly - that  if we do, we'll lose the bonus 25% credit. Whereas if RSSC cancels the cruise, we may be able to either get a cash refund this time around Or if not, retain the 25% bonus from the March cancellation. 

On 10/7/2020 at 10:49 PM, giustot said:

In my opinion, both the 125% FCC and the "alternative cruise" are marketing strategies designed to make you feel that you are benefiting by agreeing to let Regent keep your money, interest free, until you cruise again. Please don't fall for it. It does not benefit you. It benefits the cruise line.

My recommendation to anyone in this situation is to take the refund, put the money back in your pocket, and book a cruise once you know it is actually sailing and you are comfortable with the protocols. 

Tom.

I feel like the 125% FCC benefits both Regent and me. They didn’t have to refund my money, and I got a discount on my July 2021 cruise(if it sails). During the year I monitored the cruise before booking the price increased 0.5% so the 25% FCC “bonus” reduced my cost. 

1 hour ago, Geldankat said:

Yup, I understand we can still cancel up to two weeks ahead of the sail date, but I'm assuming - maybe incorrectly - that  if we do, we'll lose the bonus 25% credit. Whereas if RSSC cancels the cruise, we may be able to either get a cash refund this time around Or if not, retain the 25% bonus from the March cancellation. 

Pretty sure you won't have a choice.  It is my understanding that once you take FCC's you can never convert those to cash refunds and you can only apply the FCC's to a future cruise.  Sorry about that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Pretty sure you won't have a choice.  It is my understanding that once you take FCC's you can never convert those to cash refunds and you can only apply the FCC's to a future cruise.  Sorry about that.

Correct.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Well, that kinda sucks.  I was hoping we'd at least be able to get back what we originally paid if they cancel the Dec 7th sailing.

Edited by Geldankat
Typo

Not so. You are struck if they decide your rebooked cruise is a go even if it it isn’t what you expected and hoped for. Glad I got my money back. Bought an airstream travel trail instead for years and years of enjoyment and exploration in the US and Canada. North America has as much beauty and interesting sites to see as anywhere in the world. Cruising is now a 2022 and beyond dream for me.

• Like 2