Why won’t Regent cancel November 2020 cruises?

mmcguir

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Not always....;)

It is if someone is purportedly quoting the web site.

Most other posts are accurate and useful, so that wasn't what I was commenting on.

Edited by Portolan

2 minutes ago, Portolan said:

It is if someone is purportedly quoting the web site.

Most other posts are accurate and useful, so that wasn't what I was commenting on.

The Regent website is notoriously inaccurate….I have seen many posts here that are more accurate than content on the website.

10 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The Regent website is notoriously inaccurate….I have seen many posts here that are more accurate than content on the website.

Again, you missed my point.  If someone says that a statement appears on the Regent web site, and they misquote it, then that's not useful.  What is posted on the Regent web site is the correct statement of what Regent says even if not actually factual.

7 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Again, you missed my point.  If someone says that a statement appears on the Regent web site, and they misquote it, then that's not useful.  What is posted on the Regent web site is the correct statement of what Regent says even if not actually factual.

And my point is that sometimes it is correct and sometimes it is not correct. Quite often, their left hand is not aware of what their right hand is doing. Their website is often wrong and NOT the correct statement of what Regent policy is.

Edited by Pcardad

1 hour ago, Portolan said:

If you are referring to my post, a number of people noticed that the statement appeared on the Regent website yesterday (this was a screenshot of what Regent said taken by a Regent passenger when this notice was up). This information was subsequently taken down by Regent and now the October 31 date is back. It would appear that someone at Regent jumped the gun on an announcement that will likely come soon.

46 minutes ago, BBWC said:

If you are referring to my post, a number of people noticed that the statement appeared on the Regent website yesterday (this was a screenshot of what Regent said taken by a Regent passenger when this notice was up). This information was subsequently taken down by Regent and now the October 31 date is back. It would appear that someone at Regent jumped the gun on an announcement that will likely come soon.

Thanks for the explanation.  I think we are all in violent agreement that the Regent web site frequently contains erroneous or outdated information.

21 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Very soon....

mañana, mañana

I do sympathize with those who have a November cruise booked.  Some less than 30 days now.  Regent should cancel them.  No way the European itineraries are sailing, for sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

mañana, mañana

I do sympathize with those who have a November cruise booked.  Some less than 30 days now.  Regent should cancel them.  No way the European itineraries are sailing, for sure.

Yep, while I already had a November cancel (and 5 others in 2020), I agree completely. This time frame is not consistent with their past performance.

15 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yep, while I already had a November cancel (and 5 others in 2020), I agree completely. This time frame is not consistent with their past performance.

Past performance?  This doesn't even line up with their statements of minimum performance.  This is absolutely poor customer service and needs to be addressed at earnings call next month.

I am guessing they hope all who are booked on Nov 2nd out of Barcelona will simply use the 15 day cancel option ...this means Regent have had use of their money for nearly a year by the time refunds get processed 

The fact that many were on a B2 B on the previous leg which was indeed cancelled and they were clearly told by " Charles at Regent UK customer services )" that Nov 2nd would be too just adds to the frustration 

I feel exceptionally sorry for entire travel and tourism industry but those who love to cruuse and who are in their Golden years the loss of at least 12 months of cruising is devastating especially since at 80 travel insurance is a  nightmare 

• Like 2

I was booked on Barcelona to Dubai, November 6, we had paid for air deviation the first week in March and 9 days later we decided there was no way this cruise was going to sail and we cancelled.

So glad we are not caught in the current waiting game. Regents actions regarding the rest of the 2020schedules are deeply disappointing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

WHY? 

Total waste of time and effort, it will not sail ?

Why not?  I am retired; and not going out much right now.  It is my little check to see whether Regent has pulled the plugs on the cruises without actually cancelling them.  I have made three and still have three more I can make.

I have yet to book any excursions; maybe I can spend the afternoon doing that.  😀

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 6

FdR has stated many times that Regent and Oceania would restart with just one ship and ramp up over a number of months.  It has been five months since he first stated that; in that time, I see no reason that he has not chosen the initial ships for Regent and Oceania restart.  If so, he can announce the ship and cancel the other four ships at least through November or even December.  The failure to make this minimal announcement is either a sign of not caring or that something has changed; e.g., sale to or merger with RCG.  

• Like 3

I would love to think the lack of news on my November cruise was something as simple as FdR not caring. Unfortunately though it’s the second half of your “or” statement.  Something clearly has changed, and it can only be of a financial nature. Interesting to speculate on a sale/merger event. A lot of joint interviews and Covid cooperation going on between FdR and Royal Caribbean’s Richard Fain.

At the end of the day, all I can say is “Show me the money!”
Better stated as “Show me MY money!”

• Like 2

I haven't completed any statistical check, but I am presuming the majority of people posting on Regent CC live in the USA.  From my perspective (living in Canada), it is possible that Regent is waiting to see if passengers from countries other than the USA would also be able to sail on the ships.  Canadians, currently, have a government advisory to "avoid all cruise ship travel".  As long as that advisory remains in place, we have no medical insurance coverage we can purchase that will cover us if we travel on a cruise ship.  As well, all insurance companies that I have researched will not provide coverage to us for cruise cancellations, trip interruptions, etc. for any cruise that we book.  For us, that precludes us from booking any future cruises.  

Although we would not be prepared to cruise in November, we know other people who cannot wait to get on a cruise ship.  If Regent believes it could safely sail; if enough passengers would sail on the ship(s); and if destinations were open for the sailing; I believe that Regent would choose to sail one or more ships.  Perhaps that is the reason they are waiting to cancel cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What A Market said:

I would love to think the lack of news on my November cruise was something as simple as FdR not caring. Unfortunately though it’s the second half of your “or” statement.  Something clearly has changed, and it can only be of a financial nature. Interesting to speculate on a sale/merger event. A lot of joint interviews and Covid cooperation going on between FdR and Royal Caribbean’s Richard Fain.

At the end of the day, all I can say is “Show me the money!”
Better stated as “Show me MY money!”

I don't think a merger is in the works, I think they are waiting as long as possible before deciding in the hopes they can sail.....even though waiting is coming at a cost in terms of PR. I would rather get the truth at this point.

Don't worry about the money, it is theirs until they cancel and then it becomes yours again...and the refunds have become quite timely. I have nothing currently pending for my people....they seem to be processing them much faster.