Carnival Corp. adds 5 more ships to exit list

jimbo5544

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Interesting. That way way before my time and certainly a long time ago. History doesn’t always repeat itself. Tampa would likely want Carnival there more than Carnival needs the port.

Not the case Tampa is an attractive port because of it's location and the big 3 all want to be in the market.

3 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not the case Tampa is an attractive port because of it's location and the big 3 all want to be in the market.

Sure, its location is attractive but for some reason, I think Carnival would be more likely to leave and allow for someone else to foot the bill prior to returning should the needs of their business require it.

Tampa needs Carnival way more than Carnival needs Tampa. When the Fantasy and Spirit class music stops Tampa will be left without a chair unless they get with the program now. Ask San Diego and Mobile how fast Carnival will pull up anchor and haul a** somewhere else. 

Edited by Thorncroft
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

Tampa needs Carnival way more than Carnival needs Tampa. When the Fantasy and Spirit class music stops Tampa will be left without a chair unless they get with the program now. Ask San Diego and Mobile how fast Carnival will pull up anchor and haul a** somewhere else. 

not often we agree, but do in this case.  Carnival has been the rock at the Tampa port.  The others have come and gone.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

not often we agree, but do in this case.  Carnival has been the rock at the Tampa port.  The others have come and gone.

Completely agree!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

"

Skyway.

In 1998, Carnival Cruise Lines had to modify its 2,600-passenger ship, the Sensation, to squeeze under the Sunshine Skyway bridge and reach the Port of Tampa."

https://www.floridatrend.com/article/11267/low-clearance

Curious to know what modifications were required. I have never heard of any Fantasy class ship requiring modifications to reach the Port of Tampa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

If it gets to the point that the Port of Tampa is no longer viable in the cruising industry, I am sure Jeff Vinik would have no problem acquiring the port area and continue the impressive revitalization of the downtown Tampa area in the vicinity of Amalie Arena. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If it gets to the point that the Port of Tampa is no longer viable in the cruising industry, I am sure Jeff Vinik would have no problem acquiring the port area and continue the impressive revitalization of the downtown Tampa area in the vicinity of Amalie Arena. 

Agree

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Curious to know what modifications were required. I have never heard of any Fantasy class ship requiring modifications to reach the Port of Tampa. 

Maybe they had a big dish mounted to the fantail to get the Moviechannel?

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe they had a big dish mounted to the fantail to get the Moviechannel?

Lol, jimbo.

This may be a question for @Captain Carnival though. Port of Tampa is his area of expertise. I wonder if he might be able to help us out.

53 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, jimbo.

This may be a question for @Captain Carnival though. Port of Tampa is his area of expertise. I wonder if he might be able to help us out.

Hi Everyone -

I’m not aware of and modifications preventing or allowing either the Fantasy Class and Spirit Class ships from coming in under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Carnival said:

Hi Everyone -

I’m not aware of and modifications preventing or allowing either the Fantasy Class and Spirit Class ships from coming in under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Too bad. If you figure it out, in particular with the Sensation, can you revisit this topic for us? Information is very limited regarding this.

51 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Allegedly it needed structural modifications to sail from Tampa.

51 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Allegedly it needed structural modifications to sail from Tampa.

25 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

And so we have it.

Thanks for the confirmation! 

Not Allegedly or fake news its a fact. " The ship's vertical clearance was so high, Carnival officials had to cut five feet off the funnel mast to accommodate passage under the Skyway Bridge"

https://www.heraldtribune.com/article/LK/20140709/News/605190837/SH

Edited by regoodwinjr

4 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not Allegedly or fake news its a fact. " The ship's vertical clearance was so high, Carnival officials had to cut five feet off the funnel mast to accommodate passage under the Skyway Bridge"

@Captain Carnival any further info regarding this?

19 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

3 minutes ago, Captain Carnival said:

Yes once upon a time but not now.

Oh sweet. Well, anyway, 5ft from the mast is different than the Oasis project with Bayonne.

You can kiss Sensation goodbye. It's headed to Mobile where Carnival sends their ships to die. Holiday and now Fantasy were unceremoniously kicked to the curb while Elation barely escaped with her life because Carnival needed her to fulfill a contract obligation elsewhere. Now Sensation will be on deck with one foot in the grave.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:45 PM, Thorncroft said:

You can kiss Sensation goodbye. It's headed to Mobile where Carnival sends their ships to die. Holiday and now Fantasy were unceremoniously kicked to the curb while Elation barely escaped with her life because Carnival needed her to fulfill a contract obligation elsewhere. Now Sensation will be on deck with one foot in the grave.

Maybe. I would still expect Ecstasy to exit first because her last drydock was in October 2019. Add three years to that and you get October 2022, and Carnival gets a new ship the following month. Ecstasy would also be 31 years old at that time, which would be the longest a vessel ever sailed for Carnival Cruise Line.

Sensation was last drydocked in January 2020, so at the very least, she's good a few months longer in addition to being younger.

Carnival did sign a 3-year contract with Mobile in October 2019. Even if Carnival didn't renew, I would expect the Sensation to head to Jacksonville and Ecstasy would be sold. Carnival could always add capacity to New Orleans if it needed to, and still serve many of the same customers in the South and Midwest who would have sailed out of Mobile.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:45 PM, Thorncroft said:

10 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Maybe. I would still expect Ecstasy to exit first because her last drydock was in October 2019. Add three years to that and you get October 2022, and Carnival gets a new ship the following month. Ecstasy would also be 31 years old at that time, which would be the longest a vessel ever sailed for Carnival Cruise Line.

Sensation was last drydocked in January 2020, so at the very least, she's good a few months longer in addition to being younger.

Carnival did sign a 3-year contract with Mobile in October 2019. Even if Carnival didn't renew, I would expect the Sensation to head to Jacksonville and Ecstasy would be sold. Carnival could always add capacity to New Orleans if it needed to, and still serve many of the same customers in the South and Midwest who would have sailed out of Mobile.

Mobile is where cruise ships go to die... before Aliaga, of course.

• Like 1