Carnival announces more cancellations

rockmom

Today’s news clarifies what they’ve said all along; that once they restart it will be done gradually. Now we are getting a much clearer picture of which ships will start first and which will start later (and which ones will not return at all). Glad to see a more concrete plan of action than in the past. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

This is the royal board. 3 dry docks says ccl still has cash to spend, Magic and 2 more.

Yes, I know it's the Royal board. 🙄  However, people have been posting in here when other various major cruise lines announce cancellations. 

Sounds like smart fleet management given the timing of required scheduled maintenance as opposed to COVID-19 cancellations just because of COVID-19.  

Magic and Valor are due for a dry dock, last one was in 2016.  I'm guessing since the Freeport floating dry dock was damaged these ships couldn't get into the rotation for Freeport so they'll get their dry docks in Europe.  They are both across the pond now so it doesn't make sense to move them across the Atlantic to do cruises for a few months then move them back to Europe for a 2021 dry dock.  Might as well keep them over there and take them off the list of restart ships. 

Paradise is interesting merely for the fact her destination on 9/9 was CocoCay.  Last dry dock in 2018 but being older she may need more frequent visits to the dry dock now.   

Spirit will be 20 years old in 2021 so possibly a similar situation.  With the current cruise season in Oz in shambles might as well get Spirit into a dry dock and get it done.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Yes, I know it's the Royal board. 🙄  However, people have been posting in here when other various major cruise lines announce cancellations. 

I do think this is different. Selling 2 ships and sending 3 to dry dock. It's why carnival prices are sky high imo vs rcl right now. ... plus the generous obc to rebook.

These arent necessarily the same as covid cancellations. More bunching up and fewer ships to cruise on driving prices higher on carnival. 

Just means rcl will continue to have better prices than carnival for a while. I just booked a hump balcony for $6 more than the price of my hurricane sept 2021 carnival vista sailing for a nothing cabin. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Royal kind of, sort of, did the same thing with Odyssey.  Clearly she was going to miss her October completion but a late January or February completion would have placed them in a position of sailing her empty to America to operate for a month or so then moving her back to Europe for her scheduled spring start over there.  So instead they negotiated a delayed delivery (that remains unknown) and they plan to begin service based on the scheduled 4/30 first Greek cruise.   

On the surface it seems Carnival is doing something similar.  It is due to the pandemic in the sense that if there was never a pandemic it wouldn't have happened but it's not like they are just arbitrarily taking ships out of service due to the pandemic.  Given the cards they have been dealt, it's possibly the smartest way to play the hand given the need to get these ships into a shipyard in 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

All lines will most likely do the same, they cannot get that many crew members back and ready to go by 01 nov.  I’m just trying to figure out which ships they will start with.  I see a few comments from crew members that have been given a ship, but have not heard of a mass bring back order yet.  

You are being very optimistic with a 1 November expectation. 

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Could this be the first step of Carnival saying good bye?

Why would they spend to dry dock 3 ships.  Magic is dream class and very nice. 

Wouldnt they pick conquest class to pull and spend money or older ships if you think they are lying. 

29 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Could this be the first step of Carnival saying good bye?

I think it’s quite the opposite. They are placing themselves in a good position for when cruises resume, whenever that is. Shedding old tonnage, delaying the launch of ships on some markets in order to match demand, etc are moves that are sensible. Similar to what some airlines are doing by getting rid of old fleets, reducing capacity and “right sizing” to meet the reduced the demand for years to come. 

Carnival has played it more conservative than Royal for decades, sticking to what they know, and avoiding taking financial risks that other cruise lines have taken. One example of  this is when Royal took a leap of faith and built the Oasis class. Carnival refused to follow that path and kept building ships that were not as revolutionary, but that were “a safe bet”. They knew that they could remain profitable and competitive without going down that path.

Carnival will emerge smaller from all of this, but it may be the smartest thing to do to return to profitability as soon as possible.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I think it’s quite the opposite. They are placing themselves in a good position for when cruises resume, whenever that is. Shedding old tonnage, delaying the launch of ships on some markets in order to match demand, etc are moves that are sensible. Similar to what some airlines are doing by getting rid of old fleets, reducing capacity and “right sizing” to meet the reduced the demand for years to come. 

Carnival has played it more conservative than Royal for decades, sticking to what they know, and avoiding taking financial risks that other cruise lines have taken. One example of  this is when Royal took a leap of faith and built the Oasis class. Carnival refused to follow that path and kept building ships that were not as revolutionary, but that were “a safe bet”. They knew that they could remain profitable and competitive without going down that path.

Carnival will emerge smaller from all of this, but it may be the smartest thing to do to return to profitability as soon as possible.

We sail RCL but this is exactly why I would purchase CCL stock instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

Though Royal's been consistent with 1980's first increasing with Sovereign Class as Worlds first Mega Cruise Ship, then 90's Voyager, 2000's Oasis, last decade was first they havent built a larger Class. Be interested actual profit they make per person on Oasis compared smaller Classes, I'd bet a Ton. Older smaller Brilliance/Vision Class I do only 10+ niters do never filled to near Capacity and know they dont make much on me. Besides the $90-130 a nite I pay SOLO for my Aft/Corner Cabin(worth it), Royal lucky if they get $10 day in extras out me. 

Edited by ONECRUISER