Carnival to emerge leaner and more profitable

jimbo5544

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is a pretty obvious statement. Having less inventory. Having more profitable inventory. Having a higher percentage of compelling inventory. These things will make them smaller, but raise the prices. 

The industry doesn't want the fantasy class. They want the Mardi Gras.

I don't want the Mardi Gras but if it is all I can get....

55 minutes ago, glrounds said:

There are a bunch of us that can drive to the port that want an inexpensive 3 or 4 day getaway at a cheapo price, however.

I think that's exactly what carnival is getting away from.

When I'm paying the same on carnival for a 1A as a balcony on rcl, .... though I'm thinking somehow rcl has cruises that they must not be charging me full solo supplent on, makes no sense. Now I got 6 booked on rcl, all 4 insides are quite a bit less than the cheapest 1a I could find out of Galveston, in sept, top of hurricane season. The 2 balconies are more than the 1a. 

I hope carnival comes down, or this might be my last booking with them and I'll switch to rcl if this is the new carnival. I'm at 179 loyalty pts on carnival, needed 3 bookings to hit diamond, have 1 booking now. Might never make diamond on carnival. The prices are ridiculously high imo. I dont like this new learner meaner carnival. 

Some of us will shop around and go with the best deal for our pocketbook.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is a pretty obvious statement. Having less inventory. Having more profitable inventory. Having a higher percentage of compelling inventory. These things will make them smaller, but raise the prices. 

The industry doesn't want the fantasy class. They want the Mardi Gras.

Bye bye San juan. Seems most lines do a smaller ship to hit more southern ports. Abandoned to rcl now.

Ship size does make a difference. Rcl pushed out completing pier 3 at galveston a year, and had to switch my allure booking to liberty. Allure cant dock at the current pier. Big ships are great, but cant dock all the same ports. 

Seems like they are going for fewer ports. Higher fares. As a shareholder, I'm hoping they can keep up.

The construction cost of the Carnival Fantasy adjusted for inflation is $542 Million (cost in 1990 was $275 Million). Mardi Gras construction cost is $950 Million. Mardi Gras is cheaper to build per lower berth than the Fantasy, and will generate more on board spending both in total and on a per passenger basis.

52 minutes ago, tidecat said:

The construction cost of the Carnival Fantasy adjusted for inflation is $542 Million (cost in 1990 was $275 Million). Mardi Gras construction cost is $950 Million. Mardi Gras is cheaper to build per lower berth than the Fantasy, and will generate more on board spending both in total and on a per passenger basis.

Probably need to continue with the cost of a cruise in 1990 and the same cabin class on Mardi Gras in 2021. The same with onboard spend in 1990 vs 2021.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, firefly333 said:

I think that's exactly what carnival is getting away from.

When I'm paying the same on carnival for a 1A as a balcony on rcl, .... though I'm thinking somehow rcl has cruises that they must not be charging me full solo supplent on, makes no sense. Now I got 6 booked on rcl, all 4 insides are quite a bit less than the cheapest 1a I could find out of Galveston, in sept, top of hurricane season. The 2 balconies are more than the 1a. 

I hope carnival comes down, or this might be my last booking with them and I'll switch to rcl if this is the new carnival. I'm at 179 loyalty pts on carnival, needed 3 bookings to hit diamond, have 1 booking now. Might never make diamond on carnival. The prices are ridiculously high imo. I dont like this new learner meaner carnival. 

Some of us will shop around and go with the best deal for our pocketbook.

I haven’t priced cruises lately but in my opinion RCI offers a lot more value even when their fares are significantly higher than Carnival. If Carnival cruises are similar in price to RCI cruises like you stated, it is a no brainer in my book to book RCI. My loyalty level is much higher on Carnival, but Carnival is no longer my preferred cruise line. Carnival can’t compete with what RCI ships offer. Since I have been to most ports in the Caribbean multiple times, the ship is more important to me than the itinerary/ports. 

• Like 3

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

I haven’t priced cruises lately but in my opinion RCI offers a lot more value even when their fares are significantly higher than Carnival. If Carnival cruises are similar in price to RCI cruises like you stated, it is a no brainer in my book to book RCI. My loyalty level is much higher on Carnival, but Carnival is no longer my preferred cruise line. Carnival can’t compete with what RCI ships offer. Since I have been to most ports in the Caribbean multiple times, the ship is more important to me than the itinerary/ports. 

I knew we had agreed to much lately, reality struck.  😧

On 9/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, fyree39 said:

@Joebucks, I don't think you speak for the industry.  Many lines use the smaller-sized ships to reach better ports. If you've only cruises Carnival, then maybe that's how you've come to that conclusion.

When I say small ships in a Carnival thread, I am referring to their older fleet. As far as the mass-market is concerned, small is old. Small certainly has its market in the premium segment. That will likely not change.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

If this was true, everyone would have only been cruising on RCI ships the last decade. Heck, RCI has ships pushing 20 years old that are larger than any ship in Carnival‘a current fleet. 

It's the same thing there. An Oasis class commands a far higher premium than their older fleet on top of more upsell opportunities and lower cost to operate. Am I inferring that the old ships sail empty? No. Honestly, do you think these ships would be cut from all of the big companies if they were a compelling asset to their future?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I knew we had agreed to much lately, reality struck.  😧

Oh man, @PhillyFan33579. I seriously could have written that statement. To me, the perceived value is there and it’s still worth it when the price is higher. I can certainly echo your comment 100%.