MDR VS SPECIALTY DINING

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

In general, I stick to the MDR which is included.  I have tried most of the specialty restaurants and, at full price, they are not worth it, IMHO.

What you can do is sign up for the lunch specials.  The one at Chops, for example, will give you a great selection of their steaks and other items at a reduced cost.

We have never paid to eat in a Specialty restaurant. Last year on a 14 night NCL cruise one of our perks from our  TA was 8 dinners at no additional cost.There was nothing special .We prefer the food in the MDR

32 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I always heard you Brits love to queue up.  I believe the pic below is for the grand opening of a new Aldi. happy cruising😄

image.png.96a257e9d2e8006eafa0fc89ef893ec1.png

The difference is some Brits will stand in an orderly queue and wait their turn while other nationalities it is a free for all.

I don't like standing in a queue because of my knee and hip arthritis and would rather pay for a nice experience in Giovanni's,Chops,150 Central Park and Wonderland.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have never paid to eat in a Specialty restaurant. Last year on a 14 night NCL cruise one of our perks from our  TA was 8 dinners at no additional cost.There was nothing special .We prefer the food in the MDR

An added benefit is the rapport you develop with your waiter and assistant waiter (sometimes even the Head Waiter).

After a night or two, they will know your preferences and if you ask for a speedy service because of a show, no problem.

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

An added benefit is the rapport you develop with your waiter and assistant waiter (sometimes even the Head Waiter).

After a night or two, they will know your preferences and if you ask for a speedy service because of a show, no problem.

Quite true.We established a rapport with a Head Waiter on a cruise in 2013 .Last year he was on a ship that we were on but he was the number one person of all the dining rooms.We greeted each other like long lost friends.The people seated at our table for dinner ,all 10 of us were treated Royally.

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

There is a better rapport with waiters in the specialty restaurants.   I asked for carrot cake one night, and the next night we had a whole cake. Never would happen in the MDR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

There is a better rapport with waiters in the specialty restaurants.   I asked for carrot cake one night, and the next night we had a whole cake. Never would happen in the MDR

How about an extra Indian meal every night of the cruise.  I'll bet your specialty restaurant won't want to do that!

9 minutes ago, yogimax said:

How about an extra Indian meal every night of the cruise.  I'll bet your specialty restaurant won't want to do that!

I don’t like Indian food

I don’t think there is an Indian specialty restaurant, and if there was, I would not go

i’m not a snowflake 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I don’t like Indian food

I don’t think there is an Indian specialty restaurant, and if there was, I would not go

i’m not a snowflake 

"Snowflake,"  because someone likes Indian food?  

If that's your definition of a Snowflake, so be it.

Bring on the samosas and pakoras!

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

No. Someone who is a constant whiner. 

You had a typo.  It's winner, not whiner!

In the interest of lowering your BP, this will be my last response to you in this thread.  If you want the last word, no problem, go for it!

On 9/30/2020 at 9:01 PM, Cannavaro said:

Hello All

Going on the Harmony of the Seas on 11/1, Symphony of the Seas 12/12, and Allure of the Seas 4/2/21... Got some really good deals during the lockdown LOL

Whether or not they go as scheduled, I will go on these sailings sooner or later. Thoughts on MDR VS Specialty Dining? They are all oasis class so curious on all of your thoughts on when to pay vs not to pay as I wouldn't mind trying everything all has to offer. 3 night dining packaging is hovering around $99 per person and $179 for the seven days. I'm only gold member with an oceanview balcony on all three so I won't get access to Coastal Kitchen. I'm really intrigued by the Samba Brazilian Steakhouse on the Allure but Im not even sure if that requires an extra fee. I'm quite the foodie but I need to balance the budget between the three. Interested on how  you all would play this out. Thank you ahead of time!

The one thing I will add is that service can be kinda slow. Specialty dining is really for someone who wants to make an evening out of it (or afternoon if you have the UDP).

On 10/1/2020 at 3:00 AM, Norwich Cruiser said:

Although we are happy with the MDR offerings we normally purchase if the price is right a three night dining package but only on Oasis class ships as they offer far greater dining options than most other classes.

We then dine at 150 Central Park plus Chops Grille and decide on the other whilst onboard.

We’ve dined in Wonderland on one occasion and quite enjoyed “ the experience “ but wouldn’t do it again.

I agree with the Wonderland experience only once. I can't wait to try Hooked on Symphony next August. Also always enjoy Chops. The Symphony has a "The Royal" lunch which starts in Wonderland and incorporates other Specialty restaurants for two hours, which I have booked, should be interesting. 

I like the main dining room food .

Havent had very many bad meals there . 

If you dont like something just order something else.

I can certainly afford to dine in specialty restaurants but dont see the need to.

If you are a foodie , then go specialty . Its your vacation .

12 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The one thing I will add is that service can be kinda slow. Specialty dining is really for someone who wants to make an evening out of it (or afternoon if you have the UDP).

Good point.  You have to plan to spend a couple of hours. Of course, that's the intention.  It's not supposed to be fast food.  

31 minutes ago, loman said:

I can certainly afford to dine in specialty restaurants but dont see the need to.

I figure the MDR experience is what I have paid for in my cruise fare.  On some ships, you can have a less hectic experience in the Solarium Bistro (also at no additional  cost.)

2 hours ago, bourbon52 said:

I agree with the Wonderland experience only once. I can't wait to try Hooked on Symphony next August. Also always enjoy Chops. The Symphony has a "The Royal" lunch which starts in Wonderland and incorporates other Specialty restaurants for two hours, which I have booked, should be interesting. 

Truthfully, it would be better if it ended in Wonderland 😉

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:30 AM, bigrednole said:

We are on Oasis and will pay for it. Not necessarily for the specialty restaurants, but for everything else too: Johnny Rockets, Playmakers, Portside BBQ. I prefer grazing all day instead of eating large meal. It also gives you the chance to try a lot of different things. We will probably do Izumi and Chops at a minimum. 

Oasis Portside BBQ is great. We were allowed to sit in the AC when they were closed and read our kindles while we recovered. Nice people and very good BBQ. The MDR is just fine for us on Oasis class ships. Chops for Lunch is a bargain.

We went to Chops Steak House for lunch once , bit rich to have burgers and salads , will only do dinner's from now on .😬🥩

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2020_09/iu.thumb.jpeg.b326866d79a3d6f05dbdf630ab302644.jpeg

On 10/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, Seville2Cabo said:

🤔 Same waiters ,the all have to rotate at some stage Same as bar staff .There is a perception that tips are higher in specialty restaurants. Do you tip the same in the MDR ? Try it and I bet you will get all the Whole carrot cakes you desire. Me at Chops after mushroom soup ,big fillet with those chill shrimp/prawns and that warm bread ,I'm done , to eat a whole carrot cake? We usually get the 3 specialty on say a 7night formal MDR ,and a couple of casual dinners . A TP might get the 5 speciality 😇

20191203_191109.jpg