The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Love all your excitement people 🙂. I have a request: could we stick to guessing one photo, please? The idea is to keep this in one line/thread so the winner can hand over to the next person. Happy to leave the two added photos standing there as guessed of course.

That would be lovely of you.

Now waiting to hear the announcement from dogs4fun whether this is Dresden or not.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I think it says l. Rang. The l is a Roman "one" and the word Rang denotes the seating in German language cinema, theatre or opera house.

Exactly - Rang I denotes 1st balcony seating. I knew you would know this world class opera venue. 🙂

8 hours ago, franski said:

Semper Opera House in Dresden...  (Couldn't quote and post my answer...)

Fran

You've got it. I attended The Magic Flute at the Semperoper - absolutely phenomenal! Love Dresden!

You're up, Fran.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franski said:

Sorry for the delay, everyone...  Having a relaxing Thanksgiving Day!

Fran

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Happy Thanksgiving! No need to apologize. Is there a photo in the thumbnail? It does not seem to be working on my computer.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I have a request: could we stick to guessing one photo, please? The idea is to keep this in one line/thread so the winner can hand over to the next person.

Well ... good luck with this. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

Not all rivers are in Europe. On which river were these pictures taken?

Could you wait your turn please? The price of the game is to post your photo. Waiting for Franski to return.

notamermaid

P.S.: I cannot keep this up with the rules. If I cannot keep this up as a threaded game and things go all over the place I will open it up to everyone and quit the original idea.

Edited by notamermaid
Spelling

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Could you wait your turn please? The price of the game is to post your photo. Waiting for Franski to return.

notamermaid

P.S.: I cannot keep this up with the rules. If I cannot keep this up as a threaded game and things go all over the place I will open it up to everyone and quit the original idea.

I hope your original idea survives.

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Happy Thanksgiving! No need to apologize. Is there a photo in the thumbnail? It does not seem to be working on my computer.

notamermaid

Hi - it is working on my end??

I can repost and see if that helps.

Fran

20 minutes ago, franski said:

Let's try again...

notamermaid - can you see this one??

Fran

image.thumb.png.c3ada0c90c5e213409c84ce1e52bfb69.png

Aha - can see it this time! You took a very nice photo!

Is it the Niederwald (commemorating German unification)? Rhine 

I am certain that notamermaid knows this one so have to get my guess in quickly! 

Edited by dogs4fun

Not a g a i n!! I have been beaten - by a few minutes. Thanks Fran, for the post. Easy for me of course, the Germania standing proud above Rüdesheim.

dogs4fun - I am sure Fran will soon announce a winner (who has a dog in the avatar).

Right, sleepybies.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Yep, it is the chaos that I am a bit worried about...

notamermaid

I have an idea, how about posting the rules each time a person correctly identifies the photo and then posts their new photo?

The rules could simply be posted above the new photo (with a simple copy/paste).

Those that do not follow the rules can simply be ignored - no guessing the whereabouts of their unsolicited photo.

Rules (borrowed from notamermaid):

RULES:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

What do you think?

25 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Not a g a i n!! I have been beaten - by a few minutes. Thanks Fran, for the post. Easy for me of course, the Germania standing proud above Rüdesheim.

dogs4fun - I am sure Fran will soon announce a winner (who has a dog in the avatar).

Right, sleepybies.

notamermaid

Well, I do not have a photo ready and will happily defer to you (have to download some photos from my camera - I am such a lazy slug). 

Furthermore, I would like to see if I can identify the "really difficult" stumper that you have ready for us (love a challenge).

So, after we hear from Fran, it is all yours, notamermaid! We will await your photo.

Edited by dogs4fun

It is the Niederwald... Taken one beautiful September morning - after taking the cable car up through the vineyard.   We then stopped and had coffee overlooking the river.  A wonderful memory.... 

I see that dogs4fun has deferred to notamermaid...  so - Tag!  You're it!!

Fran

Thanks, @franski.  I remember seeing the Niederwalddenkmal on a family outing as a child. The statue looked huge then - it still does. And the view is truly great from up there.

@dogs4fun, thanks for the help with the suggestion how to keep this idea running. And thanks for deferring. Photo coming up later in the (my time zone) afternoon.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Aha - can see it this time! You took a very nice photo!

Thank you!!  Believe it or not, this was taken with my phone - a Blackberry!!  My kids always gave me grief about my "old school" phone, but it was hard to give up when it took such good pictures (and, I was never worried about anyone trying to steal it when I was traveling... 🤣)

Fran

4 minutes ago, franski said:

Believe it or not, this was taken with my phone - a Blackberry!!

Wow - that is unbelievable - thought you might be using one of those gazillion dollar cameras. 🙂  I can even detect a contrail in the sky to the left of Germania - incredible detail.

RULES:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Love this idea, and posting it just to make a comment while we wait for notamermaid.  Love this game, as I have only been on one cruise, so am getting to see the sights of other rivers.  Everyone has some great shots, and it's great to hear the history behind them.

• Like 1

Hello Daisi! Thank you, seems people like to stick to my original idea. Here goes, please name what is in my chosen photo. Remember when you have guessed correctly, you can choose a photo that is not necessarily from a river cruise, it could be a land trip, but it must be on a river or close to a river that we can sail on.

Off you go, please name the river and the correct name of the landmark (English or German):1937756575_IMG_20200918_155452inCC.thumb.jpg.c619d385acc793540acf462193709342.jpg

notamermaid