The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

My first thought was Asian too, but maybe it's a stylized version of Arabic? I tried blowing up the picture and aiming my Google translate app at the text but it could not identify enough letters to say what language it was...

Edited by jpalbny

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

My first thought was Asian too, but maybe it's a stylized version of Arabic? 

It is Arabic.  Given that it was the starting city of a cruise, it kind of narrows down the river.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely not a Koblenz hattrick. Although there are some (modern) pyramids in Germany and one is also close to the Rhine.

I thought it was an Asian language, but Arabic, well then we are on the Nile.

The place, hmm. There is a guard, I presume he is a kind of watch, for a memorial idea in this modern edifice.

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, definitely not a Koblenz hattrick. Although there are some (modern) pyramids in Germany and one is also close to the Rhine.

I thought it was an Asian language, but Arabic, well then we are on the Nile.

The place, hmm. There is a guard, I presume he is a kind of watch, for a memorial idea in this modern edifice.

notamermaid

Lol how could you mix those two? By the way I can always tell some different Asian languages and dialects from each other. I  sued to make tours for Asian foreign students.. Now I know the difference as a Linguist 

When Ifirst saw this pic, I thought (not Koblenz, yes...), with artillery and a guard, could be the tomb of an unknown soldier, but I missed the flame. And I also put it into Asia or some post soviet -stans, but which river then ? Thanks to some hints I am now back to the tomb of an unknown soldier and in Cairo. So Nile river, Cairo.

• Like 1

First glance on my tiny smartphone screen looked more Asian, something like the Vietnam stuff in a restaurant I go to. But a good look on the "full widescreen" computer does make it look Arabic. Computer style print, missing the "swirls" and ornament-like character that I am used to from around here.

So both a tomb for Sadat and a memorial with guard - like a constant wake and eternal flame? A striking place.

notamermaid

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Thanks to some hints I am now back to the tomb of an unknown soldier and in Cairo. So Nile river, Cairo.

On our way to the Coptic Quarter on a Viking optional excursion in Cairo, we drove past the Unknown Soldier Memorial (Nasr City). One of many sights along the way to the Coptic Quarter.

AnhaltER1960 on to you.

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

But the lion has the Slovak coat of arms. The lion os Czech. Is this an old picture when it was Czechoslovakia? You did say that you might scan in some old pictures...

Not in the b/w-era yet 🙂 . I took that pic in 2014.  Tho object is obviously older, in fact you detected some state slackness there.

A forgotten old border post in the woods! Of course, they might just have left it there as "memorabilia". The question is where are you in that photo? You are standing in a German-speaking country I should think as the first phrase on the board greets the border crosser in German. Austria or Germany - and which river? Not sure. Perhaps I will consult my old school atlas.

notamermaid

Actually not forgotten in the woods, but without function in the Schengen-area. There is quite some traffic crossing the border there, just no car traffic, as the public road is on the opposite bank of the river..

To be precise, in that pic I am standing on the Czech side and look into the German-speaking country. I add a photo looking in the opposite direction - from the German-speaking country into Czechia (just needed to cut that board, as it gives too many details :-).

wwwquiz08b.JPG

No idea, still.

Notamermaid, if you know, go ahead and say.  

Funny aside - I was in training, stationed in Japan on a ship that spent most of it's time out to sea, went back to training, and then had a set of twins for the entire '90's, and didn't reenter regular life until 2000.  I pretty much missed most major news and pop culture events of that decade, including the break up of both Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia.  While intellectually I know they happened, it did not occur to me that that sign was obsolete.  

• Like 1

I found it, it is where the Elbe crosses from Czechia to Germany. I cannot find a name for the area, though. Klopotský Waterfall is nearby.

I wonder if we crossed the border here, on this rail line, in 2017, when we took the train from Prague to Berlin?

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

@ljandgb It was a strange time in Europe end of the Eighties and into the Nineties. Agonizing hours spent at home learning countries, capitals in Europe and then later beyond that. Have forgotten many of the details of the world geography that I learnt, just retaining the basics while life moved on. Europe moved on and in a whirlwind of events made some details I learnt obsolete. The major attraction on a Danube cruise now which is Bratislava was neither in a separate country nor a capital, as an example.

I will wait a little longer with the answer.

Edit: looks like we are getting closer to the answer, jpalbny. ☺️ 

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Crossed paths with post
  • Like 1