The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Good morning @Coral - nice photo of a small section. 😁 

@ljandgb - both Moscow have lots of stray dogs - they are pretty smart as they know how to ride the metro.

@jpalbny - actually that flag is the standard of the president of Ukraine. When you said no, I was really confused - thought maybe you were just messing with me or I was way off base.

I had not heard the term "tryzub" so learned something new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_President_of_Ukraine

Flag of the President of Ukraine

"The Presidential Flag of Ukraine was confirmed by the decree of the President of Ukraine as of November 29, 1999[1] and used during inaugural ceremony. It is the chairman of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine that presents it to the president. On delivering his inaugural address, the president takes a special seat at the session hall of the Verkhovna Rada next to which the president’s colour is placed.

Design

President’s colour represents a blue square cloth bearing the golden trident in the center – the Sign of Prince Volodymyr the Great’s State, edged with gold vegetative ornament.[2] Two-sided silken cloth was embroidered with the use of computer technologies. One side of the President’s colour bears more than a million stitches of a pure gold and yellow gold threads. The embroidered trident has volume due to a special lining. And the flags of the British Queen, US and French Presidents are made with the use of the same technology."

3 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, and it is warm in the metro during the frigid winters.

I loved these dogs. I heard that they stopped letting them ride the subway. I haven't kept up to see where it stand snow.

I just loved the thought that Ralph, Bob and Ivan would hang out together on Red Square and then say "catch you tomorrow, same place, ok?".... They are great dogs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I loved these dogs. I heard that they stopped letting them ride the subway. I haven't kept up to see where it stand snow.

I just loved the thought that Ralph, Bob and Ivan would hang out together on Red Square and then say "catch you tomorrow, same place, ok?".... They are great dogs.

They're probably playing chess together in their heads, like old men at the park.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Ah, Spasskaya Tower?  Does that qualify as it's own building?

That is it. I think it does. Maybe some disagree.  I was looking for Spasskaya Tower or Clock Tower. I wanted more than Kremlin wall. Maybe I was too picky.

I knew you and dogs4fun would get it.

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I also love the dogs. Rules were instituted to ban dogs on the metro - they were still riding when I was last there. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Well, I haven't been, so was relying on google image searches.  From the first picture, I couldn't tell there was anything else. The dogs were a good clue.  You can specify anything you want, it's your picture.  🙂

You did quite well without being there! 

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Whoever owns the building or looks after it, certainly wants it to shine like a beacon at night, with all those spotlights! Important then, and I wonder if the dogs are really there for fun or security.

BTW - I was impressed you noticed this. I had not thought of it but you are right - it does light up at night.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

@jpalbny - actually that flag is the standard of the president of Ukraine. When you said no, I was really confused - thought maybe you were just messing with me or I was way off base.

I had not heard the term "tryzub" so learned something new.

Sorry about that! My relatives left Ukraine about 1000 years ago so we weren't familiar with the tryzub's contemporary use... 😉 Great-grandpa Vlad used it as his emblem back in the day. 

All kidding aside, Chris taught me what a tryzub was back when we first met in the late 80s. So it was not the presidential standard even back then (Ukraine was still an SSR), and I never realized that it was adopted as such. Thanks for bringing me up to date with that!

In my twisted logic, I thought that that you had asked about it being a presidential standard because (1) you'd recognized the building as Mariyinsky Palace, and (2) knew that it was the President's residence, so you were trying to give a subtle hint.

That is a gorgeous church but I don't know where it is. 

Edited by jpalbny

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

In my twisted logic, I thought that that you had asked about it being a presidential standard because (1) you'd recognized the building as Mariyinsky Palace, and (2) knew that it was the President's residence, so you were trying to give a subtle hint.

Your logic wasn't twisted - it was my rather feeble attempt at a hint. Thought it was the Mariyinsky but when you said "no" to the standard, I thought I was mistaken & had to do a bit of digging.  

I find it interesting that many of Rastrelli's Russian Baroque palaces look so similar. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Thanks 1