The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Elbe cycle route (Elberadweg, Labská stezka)? 

And I went back to my Google timeline. We did cross the border right here, in our train.

20210115_131020.thumb.jpg.58d8bedffe27cdfc085c067117c6da15.jpg

Here is our route that day.

Screenshot_20210115-131118_Maps.thumb.jpg.e0b78468998191176336b9a130228c0c.jpg

The only other landmark I see here is the Gelobtbach River joining the Elbe.

47 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I found it, it is where the Elbe crosses from Czechia to Germany. I cannot find a name for the area, though. Klopotský Waterfall is nearby.

I wonder if we crossed the border here, on this rail line, in 2017, when we took the train from Prague to Berlin?

Bingo, @jpalbny, that is the spot.  I am not aware of a specific name of the place myself. There are some houses nearby, which are called "Gelobtbachmühle", but it needs a detailed map to show, Google doesnt.  So Czech-German border on the left bank of the Elbe between Decin and Bad Schandau would have done, too, the next villages are Dolni Zleb in Czechia and Reinhardsdorf-Schöna in Germany (which welcomes the visitors on that board I had to cut off..... Gelobtbach (in czech Klopotský) is a small burn, which discharges into the Elbe here. The Elbe forms a narrow canyon 100/150 mtrs deep, not much space for the railway and a trunk road on the opposite bank. There is a single track road parallel to the railway, which is open only for local residents and therefor used as the Elbe Cycling Path ("Elberadweg"), which follows the Elbe all the way from the spring to the North Sea.

You almost certainly passed this point on a train between Prague and Berlin (just see, you noticed yourself). Also all Elbe cruise ships pass there on their way between Dresden and Prague (even as a bus).

Your turn, jpalbny.

wwwquiz08.JPG

That is a very attractive notion, doing this route by train. Reminds me of the Rhine gorge where there is almost as little space - hence the fact that there are railway tunnels along the way between Bingen and Koblenz. It is just that we have a railway line on both banks of the river!

This is the Gelobtbach waterfall: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelobtbach

Nice area. I have never been to Saxony, more the North Eastern parts of Germany. Must really travel to the East of my country.

notamermaid

When we went from Prague to Berlin, we really wanted to stop in Dresden and Sächsische Schweiz. But we did not have time... Hopefully another trip!

Now that Berlin has a nice new airport, it will be easier to fly there.

OK, nächste Bild.

Name the river, city, and place. First to guess correctly can post the next photo.

1780416848_CCPic23.thumb.jpg.fd39cba529d1289a7a7748be69ce3774.jpg

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Baroque at its best. It is not Santiago de Compostela, but somehow I feel I have to look for it on the Iberian peninsula. Maybe a pilgrimage church. How many indulgences you earn, if you rob all those stairs on your knees ?

Now that you say it, I think it was something to do with representing heaven, i.e. going up the steps, I recall reading a while ago. I think it is in Portugal. But I do not remember more.

notamermaid

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mizzou70 said:

Douro River Cruise--Lamego

Santuario de Nossa Senhora dos Remedios

Wild cared--I don't have photos stored on the computer.  I have enjoyed following this thread. 

Thanks for the ID – this is on our [planned] itinerary with Scenic for 2023.  Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

2 hours ago, Mizzou70 said:

Douro River Cruise--Lamego

Santuario de Nossa Senhora dos Remedios

Wild cared--I don't have photos stored on the computer.  I have enjoyed following this thread. 

That's it. The staircase that is pictured climbs up the hill of St. Stephen to that church. The book said that there were 654 steps. I didn't count to make sure.

A nice old bi-plane designed for landing on a body of water. I have never heard of the company. It is all grey with an insignia. Not an early aviation trials plane I think as it has a company logo. Built around WWI in the US?

Stored in a hangar with boats so I reckon this is a place for maritime/river history somewhere in the US.

notamermaid

Is this one of the float Bi-planes that were used (or a replica of) to do the first flight over the southern Atlantic.  2 Portuguese flew from Lisbon to Rio to celebrate 100 years of Brazil's independence.

If so, Douoro River, Maritime Museum, Lisbon Portugal.

Thanks for a love of planes, trains and automobiles. 🙂

Please call a wild card if I am right, I am heading out to start clearing up the snow.

• Like 1

Daisi got it!  That is supposedly the actual plane that made that first flight.

The Portuguese history of exploration really fascinated me.  With their country looking out into the Atlantic, they really seemed to just head out into the world so much earlier than the rest of Europe.  It was the Portuguese who were responsible for fine-tuning  the system and equipment that was used on seagoing ships to determine latitude and longitude and the Portuguese again who adjusted it to take into account altitude so they could navigate in the air.  According to our guide, that system is essentially still in use in aircraft today, assuming as a backup to GPS, etc.

As a former US Navy officer, I have a particular interest in these sorts of things.

Interesting aside - the Portuguese got out into the world so much earlier than most.  They made it to England in the 1300's and by 1373 had established a "perpetual friendship" treaty with them. It is the longest standing treaty in Europe.  Portugal also made it further up the coast to Norway where they developed a taste for salt cod.  Portugal is now the main market for Norway's cod.  

Can you tell Portugal just continued to surprise me?  LOL

Wild card...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Is this slate, sculptured and having received a name and meaning by the landscape architect?

notamermaid

I was wondering if it's a memorial, with this being the slate formerly used on the roof of a since-demolished building.  But no clue where it is...

I would say it really looks like the slate that is lying around where I live in abundance. :classic_biggrin: Seriously, slate is on the hills in the Rhine and Moselle valleys and feeds the minerals into the Riesling. I live in the Rhenish late mountains.

But the plant beds in the background, I don't know, could be anywhere in Western Europe. although I would say it does not look like the sort of thing that fits into Keukenhof or similar places. Okay, I go for somewhere on the Rhine.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I would say it really looks like the slate that is lying around where I live in abundance. :classic_biggrin:

I think you've been to this area many times. I know you've mentioned this location before.

I have been to the nearby city but did not make it to this particular location. A very pretty piece of art, RB. Glad you posted this. Another place to go back and visit!

Edited by jpalbny