Will It sail? The million dollar question!

ilovecruising101

Hello everyone, hope you all are safe. Earlier this week we decided to go ahead and book a cruise on the Regatta to Alaska leaving from Vancouver on June 7, 2021. Alaska has been on our bucket list for a long time as has been cruising with Oceania. I like the whole smaller ship experience (especially to Alaska!) and the fine dinning. We have done many cruises and are ready for something a little more upscale and different. For those who have sailed with O to Alaska (or this ship) would you please share your thoughts? Now the only question that there is no answer to is if it will sail or not. After 3 cancelled cruises this year, I am hoping June 2021 is far enough that it can happen and thankfully final payment isn't due until March, so it will give us a better idea of how things are then! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Erik

• Like 1

We will be disembarking the Regatta on June 7th and promise to try to keep the ship clean and healthy.

We have sailed on this class ship before but with Azamara. And, we have been to Alaska before too. It's a great itinerary and you are in for a treat.

I hope you are planning a few days in Vancouver if you have not been there before. It is a beautiful city with a diverse population, beautiful Stanley Park and charming Granville Island, great restaurants and with a few hills thrown in.

If there is anything the Cruise Critic members can do to help you plan please don't hesitate to ask. Join your Roll Call and use the Ports of Call/Destinations boards for planning your trip. Because the ships are small the Roll Calls may not be too active but still worth checking out. The recommendations on the Ports of Call boards are generally spot on.

Oceania is probably a step above some of the cruise lines you have sailed. I find it comparable to Azamara in ambiance and cuisine. 

And, welcome to Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

we have sailed the R ships  Regatta & Insignia  several times but not to Alaska

They are small & comfortable for us

If you could share your  concerns or questions   then we can be more specific

I've been to Alaska on Regatta. I certainly hope it sails. One of the things that I liked is that they stopped at smaller ports that I hadn't been to when I went to Alaska on Celebrity. We stopped at Sitka & Wrangell which seemed to be less touristy than Juneau or Ketchikan or Skagway. 

Are there any questions in particular you had? What lines are you used to? 

16 hours ago, ilovecruising101 said:

Hello everyone, hope you all are safe. Earlier this week we decided to go ahead and book a cruise on the Regatta to Alaska leaving from Vancouver on June 7, 2021. Alaska has been on our bucket list for a long time as has been cruising with Oceania. I like the whole smaller ship experience (especially to Alaska!) and the fine dinning. We have done many cruises and are ready for something a little more upscale and different. For those who have sailed with O to Alaska (or this ship) would you please share your thoughts? Now the only question that there is no answer to is if it will sail or not. After 3 cancelled cruises this year, I am hoping June 2021 is far enough that it can happen and thankfully final payment isn't due until March, so it will give us a better idea of how things are then! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Erik

Eric... I know your wanting to go to Alaska bad.... However, after 3 Alaska cruises 2 on O, June is way too early... the melt will not be finished and this will limit  access and wildlife viewing.   Access to the Hubbard Glacier will be very restricted due to ice flows keeping you miles from the face.      ORV  can attest  to the fact that late August early September is prime time to see glaciers and even the salmon run and Bears     Critters all out foraging to get ready for the winter...wild flowers at their peak   ( in northern latitudes spring is really delayed till August) and rain is the least...  The best cruise I took to alaska was one starting in Vancouver and ending in California in early sept.  The worst was in early June where we were cold and could not get even close to  glaciers... and lots of fog     ( see attached picture of the Hubbard in June !!!    Compare it to the ones you see in adverts !

Another serious consideration is that O is an adult ship 95% of the time.... but June-July early august  they  have kids programs and special fares which can bring lots of un-wanted activity to detract from the ambiance that makes O a special place on a smaller ship....         Think through you dates

france maine, ak 2017 298.JPG

We took Regatta to Alaska in May a few years ago out of SF. The weather was fabulous, no crowds, and Hubbard Glacier was up close and personal. A great trip and would love to do it again. A perfect size ship and dining on Terrace Cafe for breakfast watching all of the Eagles was so exciting.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We took Regatta to Alaska in May a few years ago out of SF. The weather was fabulous, no crowds, and Hubbard Glacier was up close and personal. A great trip and would love to do it again. A perfect size ship and dining on Terrace Cafe for breakfast watching all of the Eagles was so exciting.

Ditto ... we've done several Alaska cruises and one of the best (weather-wise and crowd-wise) was a late May/early June itinerary. Also, contrary to Dan's comment, we did an early September cruise that was repositioning from Vancouver to Los Angeles (with the typical Alaska ports) and had the worst weather - daily rain, rough seas, etc. ... So, as for the weather, hard to predict and "you gets what you gets".  😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Sounds great.  Maybe in a year or two we can do it.   Thanks for your post.  Stay safe.  

• Like 1

I did late May/early June and the weather was wonderful - clear as a bell except for Skagway, I believe, where it rains a lot.  Light rain, but most of the day.

You will love Alaska; I'd like to go back again but can't convince my travel partner.

Donna