Miami stepping up to plate for start up

jimbo5544

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

With the cruise lines already well below the guarantees is this an incentive?

Resuming cruises for Carnival requires several things - a CDC agreed plan including agreement that Miami will accept ill passengers, the county and state to agree to the large groups that cruises create AND the Federal District Court and Carnival to settle the 2016 lawsuit where Carnival is now in violation of its probation.

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yep  miami judge says carnival in particular cant sail until 60 days after ships inspected.

Imo this has more to do with almost any other cruiseline than carnival. 

Edited by firefly333

The mess in evacuating cruise ships back in March did not reflect well on the county, the state, or the feds. Passengers and crew were held for two weeks and longer as authorities squabbled. I would hope the governments come to sgreement, and stick to it.

Being held hostage on a ship in Miami or Fort Lauderdale won't be fun.

From a local  perspective, it was awful. And for the passengers / crews, it was undoubtedly much worse.

Miami and Fort Lauderdale want the cruise lines to resume operations, and bring tens of thousands of passengers to south Florida.  But, even the basic issue of "where will the ships cruise to" remains up in the air.  Getting three dozen island jurisdictions on board with an acceptable package of health criteria will take a while.

A few months ago, there was discussion of Key West FL seeking a ban on larger cruise ship visits.  With a seven month ban already underway, I wonder how they feel now?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 9:33 PM, Cienfuegos said:

A few months ago, there was discussion of Key West FL seeking a ban on larger cruise ship visits.  With a seven month ban already underway, I wonder how they feel now?

It passed.  No ships in Key West that hold more than 1200 passengers, no more than 1500 cruise passengers per day.

Key West does not want the cruise ships.  The silt from those big, nasty ships hurts the environment.  It passed overwhelmingly.  The cruise passengers don't spend money in Key West.

2 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

It passed.  No ships in Key West that hold more than 1200 passengers, no more than 1500 cruise passengers per day.

Key West does not want the cruise ships.  The silt from those big, nasty ships hurts the environment.  It passed overwhelmingly.  The cruise passengers don't spend money in Key West.

😧  Key West was a favorite port of mine on the Western Caribbean itineraries.  

"....ships hurt the environment.  It passed overwhelmingly."  While disappointed in the result of the election there, I really am not surprised.  When I taught, I used the Conch Republic as an example of a community very much concerned about their environment and the health of their coral reefs.  (And that has been 19+ years ago, now).  I obtained a video concerning the Keys environmental concerns about the importance of the reefs (economically and biologically) and centered my lessons around that video and what the local residents (including a Key West Mayor) said.