Ruby Princess Passenger Finally Leaves Hospital

lyndarra

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

After 7 months he's going home. It was reported that his lungs are so damaged he will now require oxygen supplement permanently.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/covid-ruby-princess-passenger-leaves-hospital-after-seven-months-102646845.html

Can anyone possibly have enough medical insurance to cover all of that?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Can anyone possibly have enough medical insurance to cover all of that?

Here in Australia we have Medicare. There is a levy of 2% on taxable income, in addition to the tax you pay on your taxable income. Some taxpayer are entitled to reduction or exemption of the levy. There is also a Medicare levy surcharge, if you don’t have an appropriate level of private patient hospital cover and your income is above a certain amount. This surcharge encourages people to take out private insurance. No one missis out on health care in OZ. It is easy in my area to use a GP who does not charge you to visit him. My blood test, x-rays, CT scan and MRI have all been covered by Medicare.

53 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Here in Australia we have Medicare. There is a levy of 2% on taxable income, in addition to the tax you pay on your taxable income. Some taxpayer are entitled to reduction or exemption of the levy. There is also a Medicare levy surcharge, if you don’t have an appropriate level of private patient hospital cover and your income is above a certain amount. This surcharge encourages people to take out private insurance. No one missis out on health care in OZ. It is easy in my area to use a GP who does not charge you to visit him. My blood test, x-rays, CT scan and MRI have all been covered by Medicare.

When we were in Australia a few years ago, my wife had a medical issue and had to spend 4 days in the Royal Darwin Hospital.  Her care was wonderful and the staff was very caring.   Also, the fee was much less than it would have been in the US.

DON

• Like 1

11 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Is that where California got the 2% tax penalty if we don't buy insurance / get thru employment  / sign up through Covered California? Hopefully he lives in a country or state where health insurance is mandatory (or provided through the government). 

I wish him well. The long haulers will never be the same again. This virus is nothing to mess with

Wear a mask / social distance when you cannot stay in your pod / listen to the scientists 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Is that where California got the 2% tax penalty if we don't buy insurance / get thru employment  / sign up through Covered California? Hopefully he lives in a country or state where health insurance is mandatory (or provided through the government). 

I wish him well. The long haulers will never be the same again. This virus is nothing to mess with

Wear a mask / social distance when you cannot stay in your pod / listen to the scientists 

The patient from the Ruby Princess lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland, but it doesn't matter where in Australia he lives. We are all entitled to free hospital care at excellent facilities. If we need urgent or emergency care we go straight into hospital, all at no charge.

If a person wants (non-urgent) elective surgery (hip or knee replacement, cataract eye surgery or similar) they go on a waiting list and may have to wait a year two, or more, for free treatment. If a person has private hospital insurance, they can have the surgery immediately. Under our medicare (and medical 'bulk billing'), I visit my GP for no charge, and have X-rays, MRI, bone scans and blood tests all as required and all at no charge.

I agree with your comment that the worrying aspect of COVID is the permanent organ damage and extreme fatigue some people are experiencing. With the high numbers of infections in some countries, I can see a problem for the health system in years to come. There could also be a problem in the number of people of working age who are no longer able to work at their full capacity.

Keep safe and keep well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I mean, maybe it should be optional but those who are poor will lose this opportunity anyway.. so  it sounds kinda sad 

There was a news item that in the US, the vaccine would be offered at no charge, meaning tax dollars will fund. If that puts you at some ease.

Thanks to the OP for bringing to light what should be brought out in the US media, and here on CC. It's not just about this virus' ability to be recoverable, or fatal, but the possibility of the infected requiring long term care and becoming pulmonary cripples. This virus spreads in an insidious manner. Use good hygiene and protection, of which we are all aware. Not just for yourself, but to demonstrate concern for others. If everybody did that, we could get back to cruising.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2