Cabin thoughts Ovation

Currently we are booked in 7630 and 7622 connecting obstructed view cabins for Alaska this summer.  We don’t need the connecting but at the time they were the best side by side cabins available on deck 7.  I don’t think obstructions will be an issue on deck 7 and quite frankly I’m not sure why deck 7 cabins are listed as obstructed as they aren’t on the other Q class ships.

One thing we like is having paired cabins...cabins that have the doors side by side in the same small recess

Looking today there  there are 3 other pairs that are a possibility

7254 and 7258.  Any thoughts on these cabins.  They are not as long but wider and usually  classed as a 2C With a wider balcony.  Looks to be a paired cabin

7270 and 7262.  Larger balconies but being Alaska not really sure that we will use the extra space that much...most likely just standing at the rail looking out or sitting not really lounging.  Not a paired cabin.  

Is the extra balcony space worth it on an Alaska cruise, either the extra deep or the wide balconies.

thanks

077F0B41-090D-49F7-8AA1-94328540F5AE.jpeg

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We have sailed Anthem many times but only once on deck 7, we had cabin 7272.  Cabin was fine but it overlooked the outdoor seating area of Jamie's on deck 5.  That area isn't usually all that busy but it is lit up at night causing a lot of light pollution.  That outdoor area probably won't be used much but it can be very noisy if there is a big group out there.  There was an obstruction immediately to the left of our balcony, it was the upper part of the davits for the lifeboats.  It is no where near the deck 6 obstruction, but it does exist.  We would have no problem booking deck 7 again, but just not above Jamie's or whatever it will be called once it sails again.

We find the balconies to have plenty of space on this class of ship, so I wouldn't pay extra for a larger one.  They have two reclining chairs on them with foot rests and a little table.

As far as watching Alaska from your balcony, many say you should go to the upper deck so you can go back and forth and see more.  We had an aft facing balcony on Radiance when we went to Alaska and spent most of out time out there.  We have an aft facing cabin on Quantum in May for Alaska and plan on spending most of out time out there too, if it sails.

I would probably book 7254 and 7258 because they are farther away from Jamie's or keep what you have but have not sailed those specifically.  Being by the aft elevators is our preferred location on Anthem as we found we felt a lot of motion the one time we booked forward of the forward elevators.

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have sailed Anthem many times but only once on deck 7, we had cabin 7272.  Cabin was fine but it overlooked the outdoor seating area of Jamie's on deck 5.  That area isn't usually all that busy but it is lit up at night causing a lot of light pollution.  That outdoor area probably won't be used much but it can be very noisy if there is a big group out there.  There was an obstruction immediately to the left of our balcony, it was the upper part of the davits for the lifeboats.  It is no where near the deck 6 obstruction, but it does exist.  We would have no problem booking deck 7 again, but just not above Jamie's or whatever it will be called once it sails again.

We find the balconies to have plenty of space on this class of ship, so I wouldn't pay extra for a larger one.  They have two reclining chairs on them with foot rests and a little table.

As far as watching Alaska from your balcony, many say you should go to the upper deck so you can go back and forth and see more.  We had an aft facing balcony on Radiance when we went to Alaska and spent most of out time out there.  We have an aft facing cabin on Quantum in May for Alaska and plan on spending most of out time out there too, if it sails.

I would probably book 7254 and 7258 because they are farther away from Jamie's or keep what you have but have not sailed those specifically.  Being by the aft elevators is our preferred location on Anthem as we found we felt a lot of motion the one time we booked forward of the forward elevators.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback especially about Jamie's.  I just found a video of 7258 and there’s no couch, just a chair so I think that rules those out.  If you don’t mind just a chair the cabin looked very spacious and the bathroom appeared to be larger as well with a square shower. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback especially about Jamie's.  I just found a video of 7258 and there’s no couch, just a chair so I think that rules those out.  If you don’t mind just a chair the cabin looked very spacious and the bathroom appeared to be larger as well with a square shower. 

I would want a couch too, that is good to know for the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, strathcona said:

I am also looking at the ovation. i know deck 6 is obstructed by the life boat. do you know if deck 7 is consider obstructed because you cannot look straight down. trying to get a balcony at the lowest price. 

The only reason that I can see that Royal has put the deck 7 as obstructed view is because of what you said...the view down and  that they may have received many complaints from where she normally sails...Asia and Australia.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The only reason that I can see that Royal has put the deck 7 as obstructed view is because of what you said...the view down and  that they may have received many complaints from where she normally sails...Asia and Australia.

I am looking through my pictures to see if I took one of the obstruction beside us.  There was a davit top that obstructed some of the view.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

I am looking through my pictures to see if I took one of the obstruction beside us.  There was a davit top that obstructed some of the view.

I have the map from the Anthem and 7260 had a david.

thinking now I am going to stick with the connecting rooms we have Starboard side.  I know they are between davits 

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don’t think obstructions will be an issue on deck 7 and quite frankly I’m not sure why deck 7 cabins are listed as obstructed as they aren’t on the other Q class ships.

Because RCI likes to confuse people.

Biker, who had 7624 on the Hawaii -Vancouver TP and enjoyed the view from the balcony of the Naapali coast.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I agree with this but we had one whole day we spent up top. The naturalist had people up at 7 am because that was the best time to see whales. Many spotted bald eagles. I personally wouldnt have wanted to be on the wrong side of the ship to see tons of whales. Seemed to be on starboard, not port side. 

I guess my eyes are good enough as I personally didnt see eagles, but being on top someone will say look over there, or comment on the strata of the rocks we passed.

We had a glorious sunny day that day I think a lot would be missed being on one side or the other only. Of course the next day it rained cats and dogs on us. I was glad I listened and went to the dollar store and picked up a couple packs of ponchos. ..though if you are doing only shipboard excursions they will have ponchos they hand out.

The port where the national park was I was told to walk out thru the gates and purchase bus tickets, which I did. Had I been on a timed cruise excursion, idk I would have made it to the falls and back as I'd done a couple of other trails first, like salmon were in a early area we walked past. The bus tickets, the bus ran every 30 minutes. The cruise ship folks had like a hour and a half total and the falls was 1 mile each way thru a very interesting forest with huge mushrooms and stuff and slow walking and picture taking.

Someone else mentioned more movement aft. I think alaska is the calmest waters more than most cruises.

At night sitting out on your balcony might be good but we had almost nightly talks on board what to look for the next day.

I'd say that cruise is one of the times I spent the least time in a balcony. You arent out in the middle of the ocean with nothing to see lots of the time like other cruises. A big balcony wouldnt have been used this cruise by me. Too many times there was stuff on a specific side of the ship to see I wouldnt have wanted to miss. 

The day the ship did some strait with a glacier at the end we parked facing the glacier and watched chunks of ice float by. I agree with the above you might want to be above not on your private balcony at times. ... but that's me. I loved seeing the whales and stuff on both sides of the ship at times. And at night attended the hour long talks. So wouldnt have sat out much. 

Caribbean to me is the time for that big balcony. I wanted to see everything. My favorite cruise ever. And I did hawaii too, but maybe because I'd lived there, alaska still my favorite. I'm not a balcony expert but I spent the least time in my cabin this cruise.

This poster with a aft facing at least could see both sides. That would be my pick, otherwise it doesnt matter. He could see both sides. You wouldnt with where you are.

Edited by firefly333

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Because RCI likes to confuse people.

Biker, who had 7624 on the Hawaii -Vancouver TP and enjoyed the view from the balcony of the Naapali coast.

But the naapali coast was only on one side right? I did the hike along there when we spent a week at each hawaiian island. That's my only issue with a side balcony. 

You can hike in to a very private beach, but I remember it as quite a hike to get there, maybe over 2 miles each way. Still had opii maybe misspelled on rocks when we hiked there. Even back then was over $100 a bucket. Maybe that's why the cruise to hawaii i felt like i was missing so much. 

A side balcony will be nice but I still think for alaska some things ... like biker seeing the naapali coast, he was on the right side to see it. Too bad you cant be front facing or aft facing. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

But the naapali coast was only on one side right?

That sailing was unusual in that that portion of the sailing was added only a few days out and the ship went by the coast in both directions (I assume to appease all the complaints).

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That sailing was unusual in that that portion of the sailing was added only a few days out and the ship went by the coast in both directions (I assume to appease all the complaints).

I'd still want to see it both directions. I'd go up top to see it the other way. Truly special.

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Currently we are booked in 7630 and 7622 connecting obstructed view cabins for Alaska this summer.  

077F0B41-090D-49F7-8AA1-94328540F5AE.jpeg

You mean 7620 and 7622?

Here's the view from 7606 just down the hall.

Go through our Ovation Alaska review from last year and look at @twangster videos, especially the epic time lapses he posted... here's a couple of them

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661933-ovation-may-13-24-live-in-alaska-wlots-of-photos/page/16/?tab=comments#comment-57507300

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661933-ovation-may-13-24-live-in-alaska-wlots-of-photos/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-57532680

you may not want to spend a lot of time on your balcony compared to being top deck, in the Solarium,Two70, Seaplex or the WJ. Personally I feel you miss seeing so much by being "stuck" on the balcony for extended periods, especially with such an outward focused ship like Ovation

• Like 1