The Daily for Friday Oct 30, 2020

richwmn

today is Pumpkin Bread Day, National Candy Corn Day, and Mischief Night

Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic Sriracha Pork Stir Fry

Drink of the Day - Lemon Drop Martini

Wine of the day - Leeuwin Chardonnay Margaret River Art Series vintage 2015

at sea English Channel
Volendam destination Torquay eta 10/30

at sea Mediterranian
Zuiderdam destination Marsaxlokk eta 10/31

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Caracas Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
She is shown on the map here but is listed as headed for Portland
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Oosterdam

1030World.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily.

We used to call this night "Doorbell Night".   You know, ring the doorbell and run away.  Great fun when you're a kid.

Not a fan of candy corn, but I like pumpkin bread.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, and I'd love a Lemon Drop Martini on a HAL ship.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Good morning Rich.  Thank you for your work with our daily.

Love Pumpkin Bread and Candy Corn.  I think Mischief Night will be tomorrow night.

The quote is so true, many of our young need to learn it.

Will pass on the Meal, Sriracha is to spicy.

Lemon Drop Martini:

Ingredients

• 2 ounces vodka
  • 1/2 ounce triple sec
  • 1 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
  • Garnish: sugar rim
Steps
  1. Coat the rim of a cocktail glass with sugar and set aside (do this a few minutes ahead of time so the sugar can dry and adhere well to the glass).

2. Add all the ingredients into a shaker with ice.

3. Shake until well-chilled, and strain into the prepared glass.

Stay safe, social distance, and Wear your Mask.  Prayers and congratulations to all!

• Like 13

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I think our Mischief night was also the last day of October.  I like candy corn more than pumpkin bread.  Love the quote and the stir fry sounds nice.  I said back on September 25 I had a nearly unbroken streak of day's I've been on HAL over 7 months but discovered a break in November.  I'm going to get creative and defer a few of my meals to cover that break.  Today's alternative menu suggestion would otherwise have been a shoutout.  It's Turkey Chili, as served by a local nonprofit to people waiting in line to vote.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Spiking Covid-19

Those affected by Zeta

Sharon’s DGD and those in her school

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Checking our elections website and finding my vote has been counted

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

And Sososailer, tamsno, and Himself with new cruises booked..

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Now this is a combo of Days! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. We have a white wine today!

Great quote. The meal sounds good, I need to look that up. And I am a huge fan of today’s drink! I use Meyer lemons from my tree to make mine.🍸I need to try Summer’s recipe. I do not usually use Triple Sec in mine.

Thank you for really taking care of our lists, Roy! It is comforting to know if I miss something, I can rely on finding out about it in your lists. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! 
Stay well everyone!

This Australian, superbly-rated Chardonnay may not be easy to find, but subsequent vintages are as highly rated. I found one vendor with a $69.99 price tag, but if you find it for a lower price, or if you want to splurge for a special occasion, you might want to try this wine!

#38 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Classical pear skin, lime and white peach fruit spectrum defines the nose, amidst sweeter notes of nougat, sesame brittle and brioche. It is concentrated and complex with subtle fragrant jasmine and savory flint and wet stone. A tightly directed palate, yet with enviable length. Woven layers of lemon curd, cut lime and grapefruit pith penetrate throughout the palate with a distinctive mineral thread. Delicate oak use presents gentle complexing notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and hazelnuts.

WS95
Wine Spectator

Supple and creamy up front, with precision to the nutmeg, lemon curd, verbena and mandarin orange flavors, which are intense and harmonious. The elegant body and lingering accents of ginger and citrus zest elevate this white to something special. Drink now through 2028. 

• Like 14

Good Morning Dailyites!

@richwmn  What a terrific grouping of days and a terrific quote. The food and drink suggestions are temping, including @rafinmd's chili. In fact, I may ask the In House Bartender at our Make Believe Ocean Bar to prepare a lemon drop martini as suggested, before our Date Night rack of lamb with acorn squash and salad. And wine. And since it's Date Night, perhaps a desert of baked apple - with maple syrup of course!

Zeta brought us about 2.5 inches of rain, soon to be followed by winds and a drop in temperatures. "Winter" is how local tv forecasters term it, but for an ol' gal raised in Ottawa, Canada, it deserves quite an eye roll, worthy of any teenage girl.

Thank you all for your kindness and comradeship. Keep safe and please, wear a mask.

-Cat

Edited by Ichiban Nekko
Addition
  • Like 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s a great combination of days right before Hallowe’en.  They seem to go with it well.

Love the quote and that one is really true.

Meal suggestion is a good one but we just had a stir fry last night with pork so I might have to concoct something else tonight 😉 

I’d love to have a lemon drop on a DAM ship.  That’s one drink I adore 🥰 

That white wine sounds delightful @cat shepard , thanks for the description.  I think it’s a smidge out of my price point though 😉 

What a nice thing serving that turkey chili to people waiting in line for that non profit group to do, Roy.  Nice to see such kindness ❤️ 

Have a great T.G.I.F everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 14

Mischief night, aka devils night, was a real issue in Detroit from the 1970s to the 1990s promoting Detroit to rename the night before Halloween Angels Night and send out Citizen volunteers to help curb the arson. It was hugely successful. Have not heard the requests for volunteers this year on the Detroit news channels, assuming COVID has put a crimp in that programme as well. 

We are due for our first hard frost tonight so when the sun shines tomorrow my chestnut tree leaves will come down like rain. Good thing we have yard waste pickup on Tuesday so we won’t have to store the leaves we rake up for very long!

stay safe and wear a mask. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Checking our elections website and finding my vote has been counted

Mine was picked up by our mail carrier late on 10/21. At 4:24 PM the next day, an e-mail was sent that my vote had been counted. No USPS delay and, considering the high number of mailed ballots, fast service by the election center.

• Like 10

Thanks for the Daily...

Our capital city of Raleigh is boarding up since a certain group has called for a "Night of Mischief"...  

Just watched a great video on YouTube about why crews are still on board ships.  You can Google the title.

"Why’s the CREW still aboard the EMPTY cruise ships? What's happening with the Cruise Ship's Crew?"

• Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great combination of days, but I'll pass on the candy corn, as I'm just not a fan.  Both DH and I enjoy pumpkin bread, so that might be coming out of our oven later today.

Here on the "frozen tundra" we don't have Mischief Night, but I do recall seeing news reports of the happenings in Detroit and was appalled.  Hopefully Raleigh, NC won't have a terrible night - I'm not sure if I know the exact group being referred to, but if it is, it's a frightening prospect.

I like the menu suggestion, but DH mentioned that we haven't had butter chicken for a while - guess what's thawing right now?  It's looking like butter chicken, rice, and a cucumber salad will be on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list; I love the folks handing out turkey chili!  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks for the Daily...

Our capital city of Raleigh is boarding up since a certain group has called for a "Night of Mischief"...  

Just watched a great video on YouTube about why crews are still on board ships.  You can Google the title.

"Why’s the CREW still aboard the EMPTY cruise ships? What's happening with the Cruise Ship's Crew?"

here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QL1E6C4nto

Interesting video

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Mine was picked up by our mail carrier late on 10/21. At 4:24 PM the next day, an e-mail was sent that my vote had been counted. No USPS delay and, considering the high number of mailed ballots, fast service by the election center.

I'm pretty sure they didn't start counting our mailed ballots until early voting started this week.

Roy

• Like 3

🌺🌺🌸🌺

Good Morning all!! Up again in the dark! Paisley and I have an early Vet appt.. at 8!!

Why I chose that time is beyond me! LOL.

Going downstairs to get coffee our living room was so bright! The moon over the water was so pretty.

I really like the quote. I am not a fan of candy corn but enjoy a good Lemon Martini!

🌺 Rich, I look  forward to the days quotes and wine selections etc. BUT MOST OF ALL IS KNOWING YOUR HERE EVERY DAY👍
🌺 Roy, you do so much volunteer/ charitable  work and is someone I look up to. Enough said. Thank you.

🌺 🌺 To my sisters! Glad your always here too! Have a beautiful day!

I sketched this in pastels and charcoal several years ago! Paisley even allowed me to put glasses on for a few minutes back then LOL👍
Denise😊image.thumb.jpeg.fbfbeb2a7488ed3961662ece4f62671f.jpeg

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Spelling
  • Like 19

Good morning Rich. A great Daily today. Thank you so much.

I love today's line-up, except for candy corn.. LOVE lemon drop martini's and it looks like our fellow Daily-ite drinkers like them too. I have yesterdays Daily pot roast suggestion in the crock pot. Made my sweet husband bisquits and gravy, and get to sit down with my coffee and work through our posts.

We voted early, but not able to check to see if our votes count, as we have to plug in our Texas drivers licence numbers, and we have our appt the day after election day to get those. 

Hi sisters! Denise, did you paint that picture of Paisley? It is so cute! Ann, give Bindi a hug for me.

Roy, Allen and I are going to toast tonight to your volunteer work and faithfully posting prayers and cheers. Thank you!

God bless all. Hoping our election day is peaceful. I worry about our major cities. Add covid in the mix and it could be very bad, so keep praying!!

How to eat candy corn | Bad candy, Candy corn, Inside jokes

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

ood morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for the fleet report.  Nice to see the Eurodam is in the South Caribben Sea where it is a few days out of Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks to Roy for his care list and all other posters. Today.I will leave the Peoples Republic and go up to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin  for lunch.  Have a great day and God Bless All.

• Like 9

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily Rich, a lot of celebrating today.  Should I give the last pie pumpkin to the squirrels or keep it and make pumpkin bread?  We used to call mischief night “soap night”, we don't see too much of that anymore, thank goodness.  Now, candy corn - love it and I usually buy some extra and save it for Christmas to put in  grand daughter's stocking.  The menu suggestion sounds good but it's a hamburger and salad night here.  I am not a fan of martinis so I will take a pass on that.  The saying is oh so true for all of us I bet.  DH has broken his tooth and our dentist is not open until Monday, no peanut brittle or toffee for him this weekend!   My best to all.

F11C002E-2420-4494-93E9-B29D59E102C6.jpeg

F54F21AA-2651-4CF0-A62D-77806A5EEE4F.jpeg

• Like 12

Good Morning All,

It’s Friday, and for me, cleaning day. And post fires, there’s lots of dust and ash to clean. Firefighters reportedly are mopping up.

Will probably make some pumpkin bread to celebrate. It seems to disappear quickly around here. The Starbucks knock-off pumpkin scones made Wednesday are almost gone. Of course they get shared with a neighbor, Dad and the guards at the gate of his community- so DH and I aren’t fully responsible on that one!

May try pumpkin gelato. Am a bit disappointed with the new ice cream maker. The texture of the same recipes is not that magical creaminess that the frozen sleeve machine makes.🤨 And it melts very quickly when packing it, if you remove the bucket from the machine: leave the bucket in place and you get a hard freeze before you can empty it. ☹️Will fiddle with the recipe and see if I can change that. Maybe a bit of corn syrup might help. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! It’s wet and windy here, so Pumpkin Bread Day is the winner for me. I’ll be making some later, and testing out using some of my botanical prints to make a Japanese knot bag. If successful, that will be my go-to Christmas gift this year. 
@TiogaCruiser I’m sorry you have the messy cleanup, but very happy the fire danger is past and you are safe. 
@cat shepard, your Bindi looks very much like my grandog Mosa in Taiwan. The first time I saw your profile pic, I wondered how you knew my daughter!😄

56ED8DBE-B0DB-47E4-8364-EC911543C11A.jpeg

• Like 11