The Daily for Friday Oct 30, 2020

richwmn

image.jpeg.7b1d179931521ad29d1b8cb3439969f2.jpeg

Nice first class compartment Roy. They sure do like purple!  Thank you for this picture. The country sides are really surreal and empty looking. No life to it. Also cold. At least that is how I see it. Makes me appreciate where we all live.

Have a good night

Denise😊

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Nice first class compartment Roy. They sure do like purple!  Thank you for this picture. The country sides are really surreal and empty looking. No life to it. Also cold. At least that is how I see it. Makes me appreciate where we all live.

Have a good night

Denise😊

I agree with Denise.  Having crossed the US on Amtrak from Washington DC to California in the late summer, the frozen Russian landscape isn't enticing. How would you compare it with Amtrak's long distance double deck trains?  By the way, we noticed a decline in equipment and service from 2012 to 2019. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.

Just a few more.........

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes 

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Experience is a comb which nature gives to men when they are bald

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment

Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

All experience is education for the soul

Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I agree with Denise.  Having crossed the US on Amtrak from Washington DC to California in the late summer, the frozen Russian landscape isn't enticing. How would you compare it with Amtrak's long distance double deck trains?  By the way, we noticed a decline in equipment and service from 2012 to 2019. 

My last time on one of those trains was on the way to the Grand Asia in 2017.  Perhaps the biggest difference is that there were no private rooms on the Russian trains, as there was no way to get a compartment to oneself.  I also don't think there are any rooms with a toilet, they were all at the end of the hall, much like the roometes on the Superliners.  There was a lot more variety in Amtrak's dining car.  Another big advantage to Amtrak is that the Russian train had nothing like a lounge or snack car.

Probably the closest thing I have seen in North American trains is the Sections in VIA sleeping cars.  They are little groupings of benches facing each other with fold bunks up above.  The difference between the VIA section and the Russian train is that the sections are open during the day but they have curtains that close off the bunks at night.

One other big difference between North America trains and those in most of the rest of the world is that few trains outside North America need to compete with freight trains, so most other trains are just about always on time.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The almost full Blue Moon looks like the sun at Twilight!

915F0335-357E-433B-80E6-B9C8E35C56CF.jpeg

Oh thanks for the heads up sister!! I forgot about the Blue Moon! I will take a picture tomorrow night if it looks pretty over the ocean! Hope you and Bindi are doing good tonight! I enjoy your photo👍
Denise😊

• Like 4

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your lists Roy. Roy, I’ve been enjoying your report. I don’t think I could have done half of what you have done, especially in Russia. We had a hard enough time getting a couple out of our booked seats on a train in Milan. I think they thought we didn’t know what we were doing even though my DH kept telling them in Italian that they were reserved. 

I like pumpkin bread with chocolate chips. Yum. I’ll eat candy corn if it’s available but don’t buy it.   We didn’t have mischief night where I lived when I was younger.  @puppycanducruise we used to call it Ding Dong Ditch but didn’t have a special day for it.   Not sure what we’re having for dinner but I might make salmon tacos. Or chicken enchiladas if I get it in gear. 

I also got our ballots dropped off today. Gosh there was such a long of people waiting to vote in person.  So glad we had mail in ballots. 

Next week I need to finally get my flu shot. Then I should be set for a bit. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My last time on one of those trains was on the way to the Grand Asia in 2017.  Perhaps the biggest difference is that there were no private rooms on the Russian trains, as there was no way to get a compartment to oneself.  I also don't think there are any rooms with a toilet, they were all at the end of the hall, much like the roometes on the Superliners.  There was a lot more variety in Amtrak's dining car.  Another big advantage to Amtrak is that the Russian train had nothing like a lounge or snack car.

Probably the closest thing I have seen in North American trains is the Sections in VIA sleeping cars.  They are little groupings of benches facing each other with fold bunks up above.  The difference between the VIA section and the Russian train is that the sections are open during the day but they have curtains that close off the bunks at night.

One other big difference between North America trains and those in most of the rest of the world is that few trains outside North America need to compete with freight trains, so most other trains are just about always on time.

Roy

Thanks for your prompt answer. 

It does sound like an adventure more suitable for a younger traveler. You have been very blessed to have experienced so much travel in so many ways!

May we all have some more adventures still ahead. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@Vict0riann love the video.  During my working time I flew to Schiphol every couple of weeks.  'Mind your step' really reminded me of those early mornings!

Surprisingly English!  I expected "Mind the gap!"

PS Stamps arrived today!  Thank you so much.  U2 is pretty old.  Who'da thunk it!  Love the different shapes- I guess those were the album labels.

• Like 4

Roy, @rafinmd, you had quite an adventure.  I remember my father reciting the names of the stops on the trans-Siberian railway, Omsk, Tomsk,  Irkutsk, and many more, from his trips from Shanghai to school in England, when I was a child.  It all seemed very romantic.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Have a good night

Denise😊

Did this trip in 1985..... it was even more primitive at the time. I started in Hong Kong and ended in London with quite a number of 1,2 and 3 day stops along the way. Actually, I loved the Russian countryside. We were 4 people to a compartment and we did sleep on the the train for several nights at a stretch. Great trip.... I need to dig my journal and pictures out.

Susan

• Like 6

It's my day to leave early so here's a preview of the Saturday lists:

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

gigianne’s DH nursing a broken tooth

Denise’s water heater and mess and cat shepard’s range

Sharon’s DGD and those in her school

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Cruising-along getting a long awaited refund

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

A great TA for Kazu

And election workers

Roy

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's care list:

Fall colors

A great TA for Kazu

And election workers

Roy

I will copy and paste this when Rich posts for you Roy.  Unless of course, Rich sees it and beats me to it 😉 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's care list:

Fall colors

A great TA for Kazu

And election workers

Roy

Roy, feel free to leave my range off your list! It is a shame that I had to purchase a new one, but that is it.  So many more important things to Care about. You are a special person to even think of it.

• Like 1