Iona

Bin man

6 minutes ago, besberry said:

My brother-in-law was asked to do something with Iona's 'launching' (his word not mine).  In Iona not Southampton, so who knows where it's going to be held.

The invite does state there will be aerial footage of Iona as she comes into Southampton for the first time, with the event starting at 9pm BST on the 16th May.

Perhaps your BIL is involved in something on the island of Iona which will be happening at the same time as she is coming into Southampton. 

Lots of speculation, just will be nice to see her finally come to her homeport.

• Like 3

I have just been watching a tour of Esmeralda and noted a few things. Whether they are good or bad is each person's opinion. First of all, she looked absolutely beautiful. There seemed to be just as many seats in the shade as in the sun, if not more. What I saw of what I'm guessing is the retreat, was a lot shaded seats and double beds. Those mushrooms on the deck that someone mentioned before, might be shade for seating (actually I think something like that was mentioned at the beginning of her build). 

What looked to be the conservatory mini suites, had a bedroom, conservatory and then a narrow balcony (box), with high walls either side and right up to the rail, plus above. The view was straight ahead. We were shown a small wardrobe and cupboard (I don't know if there was any more), a curtain was pulled back to show the shower and then he went around and into the bathroom, from here you could see the shower door. 

On the promenade deck, I can't be sure but it looked like he walked slightly above what looked to be a balcony cabin.

There weren't any people sunbathing anywhere and the few wandering about had long trousers and jumpers on.

Some of the dining tables looked like posh, long dining hall tables (could have been the kids ones). There was some very nice mini beds in the kids club and a family dining room.

Personally I don't think much of the seating looked very comfortable, either hard chairs or low backs. The food and decor looks fantastic, but will obviously be different on Iona. Some of the buffet food seemed to be behind screens. There was lots of restaurants, but I didn't see any with table covers on the tables. However I didn't see all of the video. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, emam said:

I have just been watching a tour of Esmeralda and noted a few things. Whether they are good or bad is each person's opinion. First of all, she looked absolutely beautiful. There seemed to be just as many seats in the shade as in the sun, if not more. What I saw of what I'm guessing is the retreat, was a lot shaded seats and double beds. Those mushrooms on the deck that someone mentioned before, might be shade for seating (actually I think something like that was mentioned at the beginning of her build). 

What looked to be the conservatory mini suites, had a bedroom, conservatory and then a narrow balcony (box), with high walls either side and right up to the rail, plus above. The view was straight ahead. We were shown a small wardrobe and cupboard (I don't know if there was any more), a curtain was pulled back to show the shower and then he went around and into the bathroom, from here you could see the shower door. 

On the promenade deck, I can't be sure but it looked like he walked slightly above what looked to be a balcony cabin.

There weren't any people sunbathing anywhere and the few wandering about had long trousers and jumpers on.

Some of the dining tables looked like posh, long dining hall tables (could have been the kids ones). There was some very nice mini beds in the kids club and a family dining room.

Personally I don't think much of the seating looked very comfortable, either hard chairs or low backs. The food and decor looks fantastic, but will obviously be different on Iona. Some of the buffet food seemed to be behind screens. There was lots of restaurants, but I didn't see any with table covers on the tables. However I didn't see all of the video. 

Thanks for that, very interesting, I didn’t realise that Esmerelda was the same basic plan as Iona, (if I did know I’d forgotten)

I can’t see anything that looks like it correlates with a deluxe balcony cabins on videos of Esmerelda or AidaNova, would love to know what these will be like.

39 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks for that, very interesting, I didn’t realise that Esmerelda was the same basic plan as Iona, (if I did know I’d forgotten)

I can’t see anything that looks like it correlates with a deluxe balcony cabins on videos of Esmerelda or AidaNova, would love to know what these will be like.

Although they are all excellence class ships there are differences, Esmerelda was built at Meyer Turku in Finland whereas AidaNova and Iona were built at Meryer Werft in Germany.  The most obvious difference is that Iona has a level promenade deck, both the others' prom decks drop a deck toward aft and the prom deck is stepped downward, and whilst the accommodation decks are similar, the public decks are very different, if you check the deck plans. Although Carnival's first excellence class ship Mardi Gras was built in Finland, her Prom deck is like Iona.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Although they are all excellence class ships there are differences, Esmerelda was built at Meyer Turku in Finland whereas AidaNova and Iona were built at Meryer Werft in Germany.  The most obvious difference is that Iona has a level promenade deck, both the others' prom decks drop a deck toward aft and the prom deck is stepped downward, and whilst the accommodation decks are similar, the public decks are very different, if you check the deck plans. Although Carnival's first excellence class ship Mardi Gras was built in Finland, her Prom deck is like Iona.

Thank you John.

Hopefully we'll see some actual Iona photos and videos before too long.

I'm not sire if this has been shared before but I've found this youTube video of what looks like a deluxe balcony cabin on AidaNova on the curvy bit. I know the design and decor and probably the layout too will be different on Iona but it does give a rough idea of size.

It's in German so I have no idea what he's saying. 

AIDAnova Verandakabine Komfort 11153 Rundgang - YouTube

1251094481_Screenshot2021-05-0211_33_07.thumb.png.54c0d9048e1503d063bbdbf562af06c6.png

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I'm looking for a cruise next year and I'm not very good with plans. Someone on here mentioned that Iona is similar to Esmeralda, so I thought  I would have a look. Your explanation might help a bit when looking at the deck plans. I've got to admit the video of Esmeralda didn't endear me to Iona. I have no chance of going into a balcony cabin let alone a suite, but I have to say that on Emeralds I didn't think much of the layout of those cabins. I was surprised at how closed in the balcony is on what I think is the conservatory cabins. I also thought the suites had an odd layout.  Maybe they might be different when you are actually in one.

As Sarah has said though not too long now before photos of Iona should surface. 

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I'm not sire if this has been shared before but I've found this youTube video of what looks like a deluxe balcony cabin on AidaNova on the curvy bit. I know the design and decor and probably the layout too will be different on Iona but it does give a rough idea of size.

It's in German so I have no idea what he's saying. 

AIDAnova Verandakabine Komfort 11153 Rundgang - YouTube

1251094481_Screenshot2021-05-0211_33_07.thumb.png.54c0d9048e1503d063bbdbf562af06c6.png

Thanks for this as this is one of the type of cabins I have booked but couldn't find this on you tube, I think the decor and the furnisings will be quite different on Iona. I have these other two cabins which I think are on the end of the hump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_-rVdmwGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4y32modcE

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Those cabins in the videos don't appear to have fridges!. P&O site says Iona ones do.

Yes I think there will be lots of differences. Interesting to see though while we’re still waiting for Iona photos.

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Thanks for this as this is one of the type of cabins I have booked but couldn't find this on you tube, I think the decor and the furnisings will be quite different on Iona. I have these other two cabins which I think are on the end of the hump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_-rVdmwGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4y32modcE

Thanks. The two configurations in the videos that you posted are quite different although they seem to be the same size cabin.

I’m getting very impatient fir more info now 😊

20 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks. The two configurations in the videos that you posted are quite different although they seem to be the same size cabin.

I’m getting very impatient fir more info now 😊

me too. 
only so much google pages I can look at. Best be loads of videos and trip reports

• Like 1

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

me too. 
only so much google pages I can look at. Best be loads of videos and trip reports

I'm not now due to sail on Iona until January 2022, but am getting impatient waiting to see photos😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

I'm not now due to sail on Iona until January 2022, but am getting impatient waiting to see photos😊

I’ve got longer than that 😂 

ive already looked at all the restaurants and bars picked which ones I’m bothered about and which we aren’t. 

I’ll have a full military style itinerary prior to going. Maybe 🤔 

crusies I do tend to wing more. 
just glad to have something to get excited about. Rather than having to use all my leave for childcare like this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

You’re going before we are 😊  May 2022 for us.

We were due to sail on her in July 2019, then August 2020, both of which were cancelled so have re-booked again for January 2022. So third time lucky🤞🤞

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We were due to sail on her in July 2019, then August 2020, both of which were cancelled so have re-booked again for January 2022. So third time lucky🤞🤞

Third time lucky for us too 😊 

I’ll look forward to hearing all about Iona 

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Third time lucky for us too 😊 

I’ll look forward to hearing all about Iona 

We had 2 P&O and 2 Celebrity cancelled. I bet 4 isn't anywhere near the record.🤔