Iona

Bin man

54 minutes ago, pete14 said:

And today’s competition is to decide which is Iona and which is the block of flats 🤔

My guess is that Iona is that lovely big shiney cruise ship. The building on the left isn't.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Correct (I hope). Certainly my preference for our cruise on her at the end of November.

We will be sailing on her at the end of November. Last time we went to the fjords the weather was a bit grim.

IMG_20180710_100625.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We will be sailing on her at the end of November. Last time we went to the fjords the weather was a bit grim.

IMG_20180710_100625.jpg

We are on G138 to Barcelona and back leaving Southampton on Nov 27 (well, that is the plan).

20 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We are on G138 to Barcelona and back leaving Southampton on Nov 27 (well, that is the plan).

I noticed too late to edit, but our cruise to the fjords in Iona is late August, not late November. I guess November in Norway would have a few more available sunbeds🤣

9 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I was hoping for some short itineraries on her as a bit of a taster to book. But unless I'm mistaken they haven't released anything like that for her.

We're up for that too. I guess our 3 weeks to Canada and Alaska in June  won't go, so we have a few weeks where P&O could tempt us with a nice offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JP82 said:

I was hoping for some short itineraries on her as a bit of a taster to book. But unless I'm mistaken they haven't released anything like that for her.

Only the multitudinous trips to the Fjords this summer and next.  Never know what may happen when they first start off again though.  It is likely to start with scenic cruises only, so they may just put one or more shorter start ups with no ports of call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Only the multitudinous trips to the Fjords this summer and next.  Never know what may happen when they first start off again though.  It is likely to start with scenic cruises only, so they may just put one or more shorter start ups with no ports of call.

A scenic cruise of the Norwegian fjords without stops would be good for me, especially if the sun was shining.

• Like 5

We have been lucky with the weather on our cruises to the fjords. Our first trip was wall to wall sunshine and a temp of 23oC, a complete contrast to Southamton which was dull, grey and wet (wet being the understatement!) On the others we it was a bit of damp or rain but only for a day. Here's hoping this year will be kind to us again as we're booked for the end of August.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Britboys said:

With that red light on the bridge, maybe they are letting her out to a local brothel-owner...🤔😉☺️

With the size of Iona, they could let her out to a whole nation’s brothel owners. The mind boggles! 🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked to go to the Fjords next May 2022. To be honest, though we love Britannia we are not sure about IONA as she seems just that much too big for us, but we will go and enjoy her (and not moan about her size!)

We have just been discussing the chance of a friend of ours coming with us. She has never cruised before but we haven't met up for almost 2 years now so it would be a great chance to catch up. She struggles to walk long distances so are trying to work out which are the best cabins for her at an affordable price. We have to go in half term so the cruise is pretty booked up.

Some of the most affordable cabins for her are single ones but the only ones left are right at the back of the ship. Having looked at the deck plans the lifts are close by and they go directly down to all of the main dining areas and select dining areas, and they go up to the sunset bar area too. The cabins mid ships are silly money (particularly when I think that they are just under £3000 when we have only paid £2,032 for both of us (balcony cabin)

Just wondering if anyone has any idea at all where they will use for embarkation etc and for excursions. I know it is all guess work at the moment and it is difficult to try to make decisions for someone else when you don't know the ship. When we originally discussed a cruise with her it was to be on Oceana,  but no more for obvious reasons. The back will be fine for access to most areas but don't want her to have to traps 440 metres every time we get off.

Hope this makes sense. Thoughts appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are booked to go to the Fjords next May 2022. To be honest, though we love Britannia we are not sure about IONA as she seems just that much too big for us, but we will go and enjoy her (and not moan about her size!)

We have just been discussing the chance of a friend of ours coming with us. She has never cruised before but we haven't met up for almost 2 years now so it would be a great chance to catch up. She struggles to walk long distances so are trying to work out which are the best cabins for her at an affordable price. We have to go in half term so the cruise is pretty booked up.

Some of the most affordable cabins for her are single ones but the only ones left are right at the back of the ship. Having looked at the deck plans the lifts are close by and they go directly down to all of the main dining areas and select dining areas, and they go up to the sunset bar area too. The cabins mid ships are silly money (particularly when I think that they are just under £3000 when we have only paid £2,032 for both of us (balcony cabin)

Just wondering if anyone has any idea at all where they will use for embarkation etc and for excursions. I know it is all guess work at the moment and it is difficult to try to make decisions for someone else when you don't know the ship. When we originally discussed a cruise with her it was to be on Oceana,  but no more for obvious reasons. The back will be fine for access to most areas but don't want her to have to traps 440 metres every time we get off.

Hope this makes sense. Thoughts appreciated.

As you say, nobody knows. I guess they will use as many exit points as they can but it may depend on the ports. Stavanger would be great if she reverse parks and you are allowed off at the back, not so good if she goes in forwards. Smaller ports are probably more likely to be difficult because Iona may be longer than the docking area. Again, if she reverses in it will be better for you. Until anybody has been to Norway on Iona, we don’t know but between today and then, cabins may book up. Sorry to seem unhelpful and I guess you have thought of everything I have suggested anyway.

Edited by pete14

16 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As you say, nobody knows. I guess they will use as many exit points as they can but it may depend on the ports. Stavanger would be great if she reverse parks and you are allowed off at the back, not so good if she goes in forwards. Smaller ports are probably more likely to be difficult because Iona may be longer than the docking area. Again, if she reverses in it will be better for you. Until anybody has been to Norway on Iona, we don’t know but between today and then, cabins may book up. Sorry to seem unhelpful and I guess you have thought of everything I have suggested anyway.

Hi, have had a look at the deck plans and there seem to be embarkation points forward and mid ships on deck 4 (I think it was).

To be honest hadn't thought about how the ship will get in to these ports and the impact it has on which area they use. Had no idea why they use certain entrances / exits.

So many unknowns I suppose.

Have also just thought about muster stations. How do people who will struggle with the stairs cope at the muster drill? We would probably get to the area early and wait I suppose, but it has not been something we have had to think about before.

PS Miserable day eh Pete - wind and rain and more rain 😞 

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have also just thought about muster stations. How do people who will struggle with the stairs cope at the muster drill? We would probably get to the area early and wait I suppose, but it has not been something we have had to think about before.

With the new protocols in place, I doubt muster drills as we knew them, will take place. Certainly, Princess have said that the drill will  be shown on the cabin TV, and you will then have a 6 hour (or so) window to check in at your designated muster station, thus avoiding crowding.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

With the new protocols in place, I doubt muster drills as we knew them, will take place. Certainly, Princess have said that the drill will  be shown on the cabin TV, and you will then have a 6 hour (or so) window to check in at your designated muster station, thus avoiding crowding.

To be honest this does make sense at the minute and probably did before when the corridors were heaving with people. 

• Like 1