Iona

Bin man

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With the new protocols in place, I doubt muster drills as we knew them, will take place. Certainly, Princess have said that the drill will  be shown on the cabin TV, and you will then have a 6 hour (or so) window to check in at your designated muster station, thus avoiding crowding.

Now why has this never been thought of before, however although it's easy to check who has booked in at the muster station, how do they check you have watched and understood the video?

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Now why has this never been thought of before, however although it's easy to check who has booked in at the muster station, how do they check you have watched and understood the video?

Good question! I assume the safety briefing will run on a "loop" so that it will be playing as you enter the cabin, but it will be difficult to check that people have watched and understood it.

It's difficult enough to get people to watch the safety video on an aircraft,  which is a (relatively) far more dangerous mode of transport than a cruise ship. 

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I would have thought they could incorporate watching the safety video as part of the check-in procedure before boarding, combined with checking in at the muster point so that you know where it is. I'm sure half the people that turn up for the traditional muster don't pay much attention to what is being said just the same as on aircraft.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Good question! I assume the safety briefing will run on a "loop" so that it will be playing as you enter the cabin, but it will be difficult to check that people have watched and understood it.

It's difficult enough to get people to watch the safety video on an aircraft,  which is a (relatively) far more dangerous mode of transport than a cruise ship. 

I think that as the muster is always described to us as being required by maritime law, the possibilities of doing it another way are rather limited. We usually give ourselves plenty of time to get there and arrive 5-10 minutes early so we can get a seat. Not having to take life jackets any more does help the process.

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think that as the muster is always described to us as being required by maritime law, the possibilities of doing it another way are rather limited. We usually give ourselves plenty of time to get there and arrive 5-10 minutes early so we can get a seat. Not having to take life jackets any more does help the process.

I assume that the Princess system, whereby you still have to physically visit your muster station,  is sufficient for legal purposes. 

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I assume that the Princess system, whereby you still have to physically visit your muster station,  is sufficient for legal purposes. 

I hope so. Although I find the muster drill tedious (whilst recognising it’s importance), it does seem to me to be the low point before the cruise begins properly and we can relax and enjoy ourselves as the ship edges out of her birth on the way to who knows where.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Good luck with that when you have 5,000 people checking in.

It doesn't have to be done at the cruise terminal, it could be done 24 hours before sailing, exactly the same as how we can currently check-in for flights 24 hours before and do all the pre-departure checks prior to travelling. Admittedly P&O would need a major overhaul of their IT systems but it's not out of the question. It's easy to use software where you have to listen to every screen before you can move onto the next page, this is currently used with online Safeguarding training. Many airlines now have the option to check-in ahead or at the terminal for those who don't have the technology at home. Maybe this would overcome another hurdle for cruise companies to get back up and running.

• Like 2

Its plainly obvious that due to luck rather than good management the Medallion system rolled out across the Princess fleet is to be an advantage when ships start sailing and can see many other cruise lines following suit sooner rather than later with a similar system.

• Like 1

Ok, so can anyone figure out where Iona is going to be for the next week? She is scheduled to leave Rotterdam at 16:00 on the 23rd Feb, but Haugesund do not show her going back there this month at least. 

8 hours ago, Glitterati said:

If anyone wants a good look at the front section of the top deck! 
https://fotopaulmartens.netcam.nl/erasmus1.php

EAFF6194-B24E-41EF-B9A4-6F0B5BF9DC2B.png

I wonder what those funny umbrella looking structures are along the lower of the two visible decks? Looks as though the balconies are very shallow, as per Britannia. No surprise there I guess. 

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think the balconies are larger than Britannia’s looking at comparable ships but not as large as the older P&O ships. 

I think there are also a few options if you want larger balconies. Some on the “hump” and a few that wrap around the humps on the ship! 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I wonder what those funny umbrella looking structures are along the lower of the two visible decks? Looks as though the balconies are very shallow, as per Britannia. No surprise there I guess. 

There is a good YouTube video of a Costa Smerelda balcony, and the balcony looks bigger than those on Britannia.  It looks as though the chairs can face the sea with space for your legs, but whether this applies to all balconies only time will tell.

3 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Are the umbrellas part of a bar that you can’t see? They look like they should have high stools round them.

There is a bar nearby  there are also whirlpool, and the deck plans say its a sunbathing area. So they could be sun shaded seating areas.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:30 PM, Glitterati said:

Ok, so can anyone figure out where Iona is going to be for the next week? She is scheduled to leave Rotterdam at 16:00 on the 23rd Feb, but Haugesund do not show her going back there this month at least. 

Iona's AIS has been updated that she is going to Haugesund.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, pete14 said:

They could do it in the shed at Southampton. Captive audience.