Celebrity will NOT allow private/non-cruise line shore excursions after restart

mikkelhansen

18 hours ago, miched said:

We have B2B cruises booked and paid for in Feb.  

We don’t do tours and normally just get off and walk around.   On these cruises we plan on staying on board as we would hate to be denied boarding at some port.   We plan on enjoying our suite that we were able to get at a ridiculous price with all the perks for about $200/nt PP with about $700 in SBC

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That's a nice plan.  Except most if not all scheduled cruises in February won't sail.

5 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well it's pretty stright forward. The purpose of the vaccine is to get past Covid. To once again live w/o the necessary pre-cautions of masks, social distancing, not attending worship services, not attending school, sporting events, and even dining out. If we get the vaccine and while on a cruise ship we are still required to wear a mask, social distance, and ship excursions only... why even get it? It doesn't make sense. 

I say, no proof of vaccine, no cruising. If everyone on the ship has the vaccine including all cruisers, all staff and all employees, the ship should be in great shape. There will be no need for a mask and social distancing. 

Uh, so you don't get sick, whether cruising or not.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Miaminice said:

You are neglecting 3 facts in your posts:

1. It wasn´t a choice of the cruise line but part of the guidelines (not only in the US) and also requirements of the ports.

2. This isn´t about just about protecting the customer but controlling them! They guides are responsible to see where people go, what they do, if they wear masks etc. It´s part of protecting the safer environment on the ship.

BTW: we have done a cruise and excursions under the guidelines. They make sense it it wasn´t so bad at all. I prefer individual tours, but if that´s what it takes I can choose if I am OK with it or not.

3. The current vaccines protect the vaccinated person from becoming ill with Covid not from being infectious. A vaccinated person can still spread the virus. Maybe you might still want to care about others?!

Your item 3 is unknown. You are stating it like it is a certainty that it does not protect from infection and that they can still spread the virus.

The trials did not test for infection so it is not yet known if it protects from infection.  There is a good chance that it may protect from infection.  At least one of the trials is looking at biomarkers, that while not validated and as such could not be used as the end point in a trial, will provide data that if validated would answer the question.

I think each of us need to make our own decision about whether or not we wish to cruise once Cruising restarts...  However if we choose to cruise we need to be willing to follow the rules .. most of which have been laid down by the CDC as part of the requirements for the ships to start sailing again...

I for one will be happy to cruise and can live with the ship only excursions for the time being... especially for a 7 day cruise return to a North American port as it means I am onboard for the cruise ship as have probably visited that port several times already...

I will also live with the mask requirement - as it is a requirement here at home so by the time I am able to board a ship I will be totally used to wearing a mask.

Stay Safe

Stay Healthy all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BCHappyGal said:

I think each of us need to make our own decision about whether or not we wish to cruise once Cruising restarts...  However if we choose to cruise we need to be willing to follow the rules .. most of which have been laid down by the CDC as part of the requirements for the ships to start sailing again...

Interestingly, to me, the CDC Framework is completely silent on the topic of shore excursions. Nowhere is it mentioned that this will be required.

Similarly, I have not been able to find any document or guidance issued by any of the countries or ports involved in the Med cruises that started up toward the end of the summer season that REQUIRED ship-exclusive tours. 

I suspect this is an initiative solely of the cruise lines, who also stand to benefit significantly from it. After all, when you dig into it, there is virtually no way to create a "bubble" shore excursion -- and people who posted from various cruises undertaken in the Med have proved that point by describing excursions that included things like city walks. Really??  That is just not going to work. Ever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not all of us are on Caribbean 7-day cruises....

If you are an American, exactly where do you think you will be allowed to cruise in '21 except in the Caribbean? At least for the first 2 quarters, if not beyond.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

If you are an American, exactly where do you think you will be allowed to cruise in '21 except in the Caribbean? At least for the first 2 quarters, if not beyond.

I have BTB Celebrity Med cruises booked in September 2021, after a L&S from 2020. I am just trying to figure out how Celebrity intends to let future cruisers know what they plan to do re: shore excursions before they (and I) have to make a final payment. Yes, I know it's not happening soon, but I would like Celebrity to make the policy clear.

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

You seem pretty confident that you would even be allowed into the EU, let alone actually cruise. I don't share your optimism.

Not at all. I just keep kicking my bookings forward. 

Edited to add:  That's not to say I think it's impossible. Vaccine distribution and vaccination status will be a major determinant. 

Edited by cruisemom42

9 hours ago, nocl said:

Your item 3 is unknown. You are stating it like it is a certainty that it does not protect from infection and that they can still spread the virus.

The trials did not test for infection so it is not yet known if it protects from infection.  There is a good chance that it may protect from infection.  At least one of the trials is looking at biomarkers, that while not validated and as such could not be used as the end point in a trial, will provide data that if validated would answer the question.

🙂 on the contrary - it reflects the facts currently known!

Look, you are clinging on to a hope... your own words are: “a good chance it may...” You also confirm that the trials did not test for infection.

So for now YOUR thesis is unknown and not mine.

Facts are

a) it‘s not designed to protect from infection

b) leading virologist agree

c) Sahin Ogur (the brain behind the BNT vaccine) confirms

d) no study so far shows a protective “side effect”

If it turns out that in some cases the vaccine does something it’s not even designed to do, it would surely be a one more reason to be happy.

Until then I will keep my feet on the ground of facts and work with what’s confirmed. That includes not making statements about outcomes which haven’t even been tested and possible, yet not proven, positive side effects. Even if “there is a good chance they may...”

There’s enough speculation around Covid -going both ways- already. 

However, all this in not the topic HERE and is already discussed elsewhere.

11 hours ago, basenji56 said:

But the actions taken do not envision cruising any time soon....

German cruise lines are already cruising! They started in July.

I have been on one of the cruises in October. You can find the report here on CC.

MSC are already cruising as well...

You might want to check your facts 😉

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Look, you are clinging on to a hope... your own words are: “a good chance it may...” You also confirm that the trials did not test for infection.

Facts are

If it turns out that in some cases the vaccine does something it’s not even designed to do, it would surely be a one more reason to be happy.

Until then I will keep my feet on the ground of facts and work with what’s confirmed. That includes not making statements about outcomes which haven’t even been tested and possible, yet not proven, positive side effects. Even if “there is a good chance they may...”

You will believe what you believe and we will leave it at that.  Most of us will wait for the data which has not been even released yet. OK?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You will believe what you believe and we will leave it at that.  Most of us will wait for the data which has not been even released yet. OK?  

I am totally fine with that! I have been before your post 😉 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 2:26 AM, Miaminice said:

You are neglecting 3 facts in your posts:

1. It wasn´t a choice of the cruise line but part of the guidelines (not only in the US) and also requirements of the ports.

2. This isn´t about just about protecting the customer but controlling them! They guides are responsible to see where people go, what they do, if they wear masks etc. It´s part of protecting the safer environment on the ship.

BTW: we have done a cruise and excursions under the guidelines. They make sense it it wasn´t so bad at all. I prefer individual tours, but if that´s what it takes I can choose if I am OK with it or not.

3. The current vaccines protect the vaccinated person from becoming ill with Covid not from being infectious. A vaccinated person can still spread the virus. Maybe you might still want to care about others?!

Wow...you are soooo off base.

It is a cruiseline choice! They have chosen to place you and I in danger of the virus by even offering the cruises. Get real. 

If you're vaccinated, you're protected. Period. If I get the vaccine I don't need someone to hold my hand and telling me where & when I can go. I'm on vacation to get away from that noise. 

Maybe? You think? Maybe I don't too? Either way, it's not your buisness nor is it the Cruiselines business. Their role is to get me to & from the ports and pamper me along the way. I'll be vaccinated so bringing back to their ship will not be the issue. 

• Haha 1

IMO, the cruiseline perspective is that they are selling cruisers a vacation and not just pleasant transportation between ports. You see this in their policy of trading one port for another with little notice. They are already are screening passengers as they embark and feel justified with controlling what passengers do when they are in ports so they don't need to require substantial rescreening of passengers when they return to port. It's easier and less costly to have a policy apply to every passenger than to apply to just some of them.  

17 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Facts are

Thats funny but Sahin Ogur disagrees with you

In an interview on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show, Prof Sahin said he expected further analysis to show the vaccine would reduce transmission between people as well as stop symptoms developing in someone who has had the vaccine.

"I'm very confident that transmission between people will be reduced by such a highly effective vaccine - maybe not 90% but maybe 50% - but we should not forget that even that could result in a dramatic reduction of the pandemic spread," he said.

Of course as a CEO of a company he cannot make claims that have not been tested.  People in the industry and in regulatory authorities can only make claims that are supported by the appropriate trials. As of this date no trials have been conducted to determine if it prevents transmission and infection.  As a result no claims are made concerning it.

That is the main reason as you say there there are no studies to claim a "protective" side effect, is mainly because no studies have been run to test such.

Of course I can also point out that there are no studies that indicate that there is not, as a put it "a protective effect".  It is as of this time unknown

But for the CEO of one of the companies involved to make a statement such as the one above makes it pretty clear that he does not agree with the statement you made above.

Care to include any links to the specific statements you say support your interpretation such as the other virologists you vaguely mentioned.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, mom says said:

Did I miss something that said pax are legally forbidden from cancelling a cruise or changing to a later date? No one is forced to sail if they don't want to. 

By now, everyone knows the risks of acquiring COVID, unless they live in a cave or are a complete moron. The cruise lines are going to be following the health guidelines set out by the CDC to minimize the COVID risk, but no reasonable person could assume there would be NO risk.. And YOU are responsible for deciding whether or not cruising outweighs the risks and the imposed limitations. The cruise line is not your Mommy. 

So. Let's say you go on a cruise. Your spouse is infected & subsequently dies in a San Juan hospital. You followed the guidelines. You did your part of the deal. You weighed the risks/rewards along w/ the imposed restrictions. You good with that? You're going to be a big girl and not sue the cruiseline? You're not going to complain?  

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So. Let's say you go on a cruise. Your spouse is infected & subsequently dies in a San Juan hospital. You followed the guidelines. You did your part of the deal. You weighed the risks/rewards along w/ the imposed restrictions. You good with that? You're going to be a big girl and not sue the cruiseline? You're not going to complain?  

Of course not, a lawyer will call and convince her to change her thinking then a big juicy lawsuit will follow.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

First if all, neither I or my husband would be so foolhardy as to cruise until the vaccine has been widely administered, including in our travel areas, and the pandemic has been controlled. However, should we completely lose our minds and cruise before that,  we would both be aware of the risk involved.  Part if that awareness includes accepting the possible consequences. It's a thing called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Something that is apparently a foreign concept to some. And no, we (or the surviving partner) would not be calling the nearest ambulance chaser, as long as the published protocols had been followed. Where I come from, we don't sue without cause. 

17 minutes ago, mom says said:

First if all, neither I or my husband would be so foolhardy as to cruise until the vaccine has been widely administered, including in our travel areas, and the pandemic has been controlled. However, should we completely lose our minds and cruise before that,  we would both be aware of the risk involved.  Part if that awareness includes accepting the possible consequences. It's a thing called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Something that is apparently a foreign concept to some. And no, we (or the surviving partner) would not be calling the nearest ambulance chaser, as long as the published protocols had been followed. Where I come from, we don't sue without cause. 

too funny

• Like 1