New vaccine

hollyjess

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I have my second jab on 1st May, it is brought forward from the 13th May.

The reason for bring it forward was because of shortage of supply. So I guess they are making sure all 2nd doses are covered.

I spent this afternoon at a local doctors' surgery checking people in for their vaccinations, with the exception of one person everyone was really nice.  One man was really nasty because I put a sticker on his card with the batch number that was being used but I couldn't give him a letter signed by a doctor confirming that he had had 2 doses, he said that he needed it because he is going on holiday to Thailand.  I really feel for the NHS staff who are meeting this sort of person daily.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I spent this afternoon at a local doctors' surgery checking people in for their vaccinations, with the exception of one person everyone was really nice.  One man was really nasty because I put a sticker on his card with the batch number that was being used but I couldn't give him a letter signed by a doctor confirming that he had had 2 doses, he said that he needed it because he is going on holiday to Thailand.  I really feel for the NHS staff who are meeting this sort of person daily.

You have my sympathy, especially as the gent in question cannot legally go anywhere on holiday at the moment.

You have more patience than I would have!

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

You have my sympathy, especially as the gent in question cannot legally go anywhere on holiday at the moment.

The rest of the people make up for the odd nasty one.  We had 218 people through in 2hrs 5 minutes so 1 not so nice person is fairly easy to ignore.  I am amazed every time I go to help out just how many lovely people there are and how many of them thank us for helping out so that the medics can do the important work of putting the vaccines into arms.

I think a lot of people are hoping that holidays will open up very soon and I can understand that some will want to be on the first plane to wherever they want to go.

One thing I find funny is how many silly rumours are out there (probably due to social media).  One lady yesterday asking a nurse whether it was safe to have the vaccine because she had had her hair coloured this week, the nurse's reply was that it had better be because otherwise half of the female population was going to have a problem. 😂😂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

You sound like my husband! He often suggests what I could have said to the people I deal with! As Josy said 98% are lovely. I just smile sweetly at hubby and say ‘that’s why I do my job and you do yours’ 😊😊

• 3 weeks later...

This was a heartening read this morning, hopefully it is correct and will remain so, no excuse to throw caution to the wind. I hope it will also spur people who haven't had the vaccine to get it

Vaccines prevent 97 per cent of Covid infections from Indian variant and NO fully vaccinated people in UK have died from it, scientists say

• International study finds vaccines have 97% effectiveness against Indian variant
  • Matt Hancock said no fully vaccinated person is known to have died from it
  • He encouraged people in hotspots like Bolton and Blackburn to take up jab offer
  • Comes as data analysis shows infection rates are highest were jab take-up is low 
  • Like 10

I believe one person who was fully vaccinated did die - but  they were frail.  My neighbour, aged 95, broke her hip and sadly died of pneumonia having had both jabs but then obviously picked up the bug in hospital.  She will be down as a Covid death, but she died with it, not of it, and I feel sure this has happened a fair bit.  

For anyone who can remember that far back, we are now due our second jab next week, at home, and I am waiting with bated breath to see if it happens.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

This was a heartening read this morning, hopefully it is correct and will remain so, no excuse to throw caution to the wind. I hope it will also spur people who haven't had the vaccine to get it

Vaccines prevent 97 per cent of Covid infections from Indian variant and NO fully vaccinated people in UK have died from it, scientists say

• International study finds vaccines have 97% effectiveness against Indian variant
  • Matt Hancock said no fully vaccinated person is known to have died from it
  • He encouraged people in hotspots like Bolton and Blackburn to take up jab offer
  • Comes as data analysis shows infection rates are highest were jab take-up is low 

Unfortunately the truth don't get the headlines. .........breaking news....everything's ok.... doesn't have enough gloom to it.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I believe one person who was fully vaccinated did die - but  they were frail.  My neighbour, aged 95, broke her hip and sadly died of pneumonia having had both jabs but then obviously picked up the bug in hospital.  She will be down as a Covid death, but she died with it, not of it, and I feel sure this has happened a fair bit.  

For anyone who can remember that far back, we are now due our second jab next week, at home, and I am waiting with bated breath to see if it happens.

Good luck with the second jab, and condolences for your neighbour.

I do wonder now with the covid deaths being so low if the powers that be couldn't separate the died with and died of. I know its no consolation to families and friends of those who have died but would give a clearer picture.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Good luck with the second jab, and condolences for your neighbour.

I do wonder now with the covid deaths being so low if the powers that be couldn't separate the died with and died of. I know its no consolation to families and friends of those who have died but would give a clearer picture.

I’ve never really understood this ‘of’ or ‘with’ thing.

We’ve never done this with any other illness, for example flu or dementia.

The way I look at it, it’s immaterial whether it was of or with - if there hadn’t been Covid, that person would probably not have died on that day. 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The way I look at it, it’s immaterial whether it was of or with - if there hadn’t been Covid, that person would probably not have died on that day. 

If you test positive with Covid and get run over by a bus...with.   Catch it and die because of it....of.  Quite an important difference. No vaccine available for road traffic accidents.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you test positive with Covid and get run over by a bus...with.   Catch it and die because of it....of.  Quite an important difference. No vaccine available for road traffic accidents.

That’s another thing that I never really got.

All those buses plowing people down at the height of the pandemic in the U.K. 

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Does seem a bit daft. If you test positive and get run over by a bus....with Covid.   If you get run over looking at your phone.... with careless.🤣

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It is certainly done with prostate cancer - a lot of older men have slow growing prostate cancer but it is not the cause of their death.  My neighbour definitely died from the very common cause of a broken hip, in a very old person, then the pneumonia which often happens afterwards.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is certainly done with prostate cancer - a lot of older men have slow growing prostate cancer but it is not the cause of their death.  My neighbour definitely died from the very common cause of a broken hip, in a very old person, then the pneumonia which often happens afterwards.

It is never easy to categorise all deaths, my FiL had a slow growing prostate cancer, the doctor told him not to worry too much as it was easily controlled, unfortunately it spread to his spine (metastasis) which did kill him. He was 75. Fortunately this is not common. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is never easy to categorise all deaths, my FiL had a slow growing prostate cancer, the doctor told him not to worry too much as it was easily controlled, unfortunately it spread to his spine (metastasis) which did kill him. He was 75. Fortunately this is not common. 

I think most death certificates list more than one cause of death.

the point I was originally making was that there’s not a huge national conversation about dying of or with any other disease. It’s only Covid.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Does seem a bit daft. If you test positive and get run over by a bus....with Covid.   If you get run over looking at your phone.... with careless.🤣

I’m not sure how many people die of being run over by buses each year, but it must be a tiny amount. A person must be very unlucky to die this way. And then to be run over by the bus within 28 days of the positive Covid test. How unlucky is that! 

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think most death certificates list more than one cause of death.

the point I was originally making was that there’s not a huge national conversation about dying of or with any other disease. It’s only Covid.  

You are right, but I think covid has taken over our lives and most people are focused on it in one way or another. My view is that deaths should be reported as accurately as possible especially when our lives can be determined partly by those figures. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That is not the case in all cases.  My uncle died in the first lock down last year.  He was 97 and had cancer for a few years culminating with about 3 hospital admissions early last year.  The last time he went in, COVID was about, but he tested negative on arrival.  He was made comfortable and sent home, basically to die as he was clearly terminally ill at that stage and was to be looked after by his daughter, plus a son who had given up his job as a nurse to move into his house to look after him at that stage.  They were notified after he went home that the test done just before discharge was positive, but no obvious sign was present, but was never expected to live longer than a matter of days anyway.  In fact neither of his carers contracted covid, so chances are he had very low viral load (or perhaps had an incorrect test).

Buses are not the point, but people do die from other things, so just because they have an infection in their last month of their life, (which was never expected to last longer than that month anyway) is not a death from covid.  The mention of a patient who was frail, may well have also been terminally ill. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don't think ALL buses go in for that. There is a rogue bus in the Bluebell hill area. Watch out for that one.🤣

• Like 1