New vaccine

hollyjess

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

Or from another way of looking at it ..

There is nothing selfish about wanting the best for your family or yourself even,

if it gives you and your family a better quality of life .  Your not asking for wealth

or riches, you are asking for something that will change your family's life for the better .

I hope your vaccine comes your way very soon until then ,stay safe :classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos - what I'd really like is for my wife to be able to cuddle our grandchildren for the first time since last March. And until there's a reliable vaccine for the immunosuppressed that's still just a dream.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I think so. It may have been at the point where you could travel to an airport via a different tier but weren't allowed to stop? I hope the good Captain's bladder functioned better than the average 100 years old's.:classic_smile:

Gather this trip was on his bucket list and one is slightly running out of time to fulfil one's bucket list at 100+, particularly during a pandemic.

Yes I am sure  it was allowed then.  We weren't in lockdown.   He has been treated for pneumonia for 6 weeks before they found him positive.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

What is right and what is sensible are 2 different things and at 100 the body can only take so much. We are all told repeatedly to be sensible and to protect the NHS and now he is in hospital taking up a bed which he might not have needed if he had stayed at home.

At 100 it will probably be his last holiday and rightly or wrongly Captain Tom,his family, insurance and his doctor will have been consulted first and happy for him to travel.

Apparently he was with his family and they were happy for him to travel.

I don't know if he caught pneumonia from this holiday.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I didn't mean to be insulting and I understood what you meant. I just commented that when I see those words they are upsetting to me personally. Not for one minute did I think that you were being heartless or uncaring, nor did I mean to offend you. I shall have to be more careful when choosing my words.

Avril

Thank you.  On reflection my comment this morning was quite harsh towards you in the way I worded it, so I do apologise for that, but you are right that phrases can perhaps mean different things to different people.  My response was partly because my comment had been taken out of context, obviously in the same sort of response you had yourself to a particular phrase.

My first experience on such things was actually on a non personal basis (though I have seen lots of suffering by relatives since then).  I was a first year student nurse on nights and there was an elderly lady who was terminally ill with cancer and known to be in her last day or two.  I was told by my senior that we had to keep the oxygen mask on her no matter how much she was unhappy about it or found it uncomfortable as her family had insisted that life was preserved to the last - I presumably a doctor's instruction to the nursing staff.  The lady virtually pleaded with me for the mask to be taken of when I was alone on the ward during my senior's lunch break, yet all I could do is try and adjust it so it was more comfortable - but to no avail.  The lady passed away just before the end of our shift.  So I had been on the ward for  almost 12 hours, yet had seen no sign of the relatives who had been so keen to insist she remained on oxygen to the last, but obviously did not wish to sit with her at that time.

As I had previously said, I hope Captain Tom, along with as many others as possible, do pull through, but also acknowledge that preservation of life may not be the most important thing for all people if they do not at least have a fighting chance of a reasonable life after that, but others may well have other views and are perfectly entitled to their views.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Kalos - what I'd really like is for my wife to be able to cuddle our grandchildren for the first time since last March. And until there's a reliable vaccine for the immunosuppressed that's still just a dream.

I fully understand Harry even before covid when I got out of hospital back in October 2019

we were warned keep away from people with coughs & colds as they were hoping to get me

into the Northern Gen late January . In Nov 2019 was the last time we got to hug any member

of our family due to everyone seeming to come down with colds that year .

I am still under review of what can and cannot be done so same as you the vaccine can only

mend part of the problem . Not to worry as I never try to cross a bridge until I get to it .

It will all come out in the wash as the saying goes . You and Mrs take care Harry .:classic_smile:

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I am sure  it was allowed then.  We weren't in lockdown.   He has been treated for pneumonia for 6 weeks before they found him positive.

Change of subject, have you had your Jab today yet  Jean and are you ok with it ? :classic_smile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tring said:

Thank you.  On reflection my comment this morning was quite harsh towards you in the way I worded it, so I do apologise for that, but you are right that phrases can perhaps mean different things to different people.  My response was partly because my comment had been taken out of context, obviously in the same sort of response you had yourself to a particular phrase.

My first experience on such things was actually on a non personal basis (though I have seen lots of suffering by relatives since then).  I was a first year student nurse on nights and there was an elderly lady who was terminally ill with cancer and known to be in her last day or two.  I was told by my senior that we had to keep the oxygen mask on her no matter how much she was unhappy about it or found it uncomfortable as her family had insisted that life was preserved to the last - I presumably a doctor's instruction to the nursing staff.  The lady virtually pleaded with me for the mask to be taken of when I was alone on the ward during my senior's lunch break, yet all I could do is try and adjust it so it was more comfortable - but to no avail.  The lady passed away just before the end of our shift.  So I had been on the ward for  almost 12 hours, yet had seen no sign of the relatives who had been so keen to insist she remained on oxygen to the last, but obviously did not wish to sit with her at that time.

As I had previously said, I hope Captain Tom, along with as many others as possible, do pull through, but also acknowledge that preservation of life may not be the most important thing for all people if they do not at least have a fighting chance of a reasonable life after that, but others may well have other views and are perfectly entitled to their views.

Thank you for your reply tring, as I am not a person who deliberately sets out to offend others, and it upsets me if I do.

My grandaughter is a nurse, who has worked on the covid wards since the onset of the pandemic, and we are aware of the harrowing things that are happening, some of which have affected her badly. 

I know we are not immortal and that life comes to an end, but no matter how long the life is, for the one's they leave behind it's never long enough, and when you look into that closely, I think it's because we are selfish, thinking of our own feelings and not theirs. Embarrassing but true. 

Avril

• Like 7

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

The one that the Pasteur Institute were making in conjunction with Merck failed, however Valneva who manufacture the vaccine in Scotland still looks promising for later in the year.

Apparently we signed deals for 100 million doses of the Valneva vaccine roughly 6 months ago. Meanwhile the EU has not yet signed a letter of intent, let alone signed deals. Valneva has said "if the EU wants to get doses at the same time as the UK they should order at the same time".

This is not to gloat, and I am delighted that our government has resisted the temptation to do that over the weekend. However, I wish the EU would sort itself out as we need the world, including Europe, vaccinated asap.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's just so sad Harry.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Apparently we signed deals for 100 million doses of the Valneva vaccine roughly 6 months ago. Meanwhile the EU has not yet signed a letter of intent, let alone signed deals. Valneva has said "if the EU wants to get doses at the same time as the UK they should order at the same time".

This is not to gloat, and I am delighted that our government has resisted the temptation to do that over the weekend. However, I wish the EU would sort itself out as we need the world, including Europe, vaccinated asap.

We have signed deals to give every person in the country 6 doses, hopefully we wont need them all and can share some with other poorer countries. The massive risk seems to be paying off and justifying the government spending our money. Yes the EU dropped the ball but it could have just as easily been us so we shouldn't gloat, we still need to work with other countries whether EU or not and forget our differences (we can catch up after covid😁) I was reading a couple of stories about JVT asking for the UK to buy freezers during the first lockdown, clearly he knew a lot more about the new upcoming vaccines but still what a forward thinker, it is understandable why we hold the man in such great esteem.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have signed deals to give every person in the country 6 doses, hopefully we wont need them all and can share some with other poorer countries. The massive risk seems to be paying off and justifying the government spending our money. Yes the EU dropped the ball but it could have just as easily been us so we shouldn't gloat, we still need to work with other countries whether EU or not and forget our differences (we can catch up after covid😁) I was reading a couple of stories about JVT asking for the UK to buy freezers during the first lockdown, clearly he knew a lot more about the new upcoming vaccines but still what a forward thinker, it is understandable why we hold the man in such great esteem.

Yep, it could just as easily have been us. Matt Hancock, who I never thought I would defend, also seems to have done well in insisting at the last minute that Oxford went into partnership with AZ, which has a manufacturing base in the UK, and not Merck, which does not (that bit's from memory, but I think it's accurate).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Yep, it could just as easily have been us. Matt Hancock, who I never thought I would defend, also seems to have done well in insisting at the last minute that Oxford went into partnership with AZ, which has a manufacturing base in the UK, and not Merck, which does not (that bit's from memory, but I think it's accurate).

We don't always get to hear about some of these things till long after, as I don't care for Matt Hancock either but someone has to do the job. I think the main point of him stopping the Merck deal was the fear that Trumpy would want to keep all US made vaccines for the US regardless of who had ordered and paid for them???? 

42 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We don't always get to hear about some of these things till long after, as I don't care for Matt Hancock either but someone has to do the job. I think the main point of him stopping the Merck deal was the fear that Trumpy would want to keep all US made vaccines for the US regardless of who had ordered and paid for them???? 

Yep, yesterday's Sunday Times (I think) said it was to keep it away from Agent Orange, so he's finally come good as well.:classic_wacko:

This whole thing has certainly brought up some unexpected, if fleeting, heroes.:classic_huh:

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sometimes our government get it right, sometimes wrong. The gamble of £millions was right and the rollout also. They have taken so much flack for the errors that I think a bit of gloating would have been justified. Watching the interviews over the weekend about our EU friends I was thinking go on at least gloat a little bit, go on, just a gloatette.🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sometimes our government get it right, sometimes wrong. The gamble of £millions was right and the rollout also. They have taken so much flack for the errors that I think a bit of gloating would have been justified. Watching the interviews over the weekend about our EU friends I was thinking go on at least gloat a little bit, go on, just a gloatette.🤣

Aren’t we getting a tad political again here, though?

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

have to agree 😂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just back from being Astra Zenica'd.  In and out of the building in 12 minutes.  Also you don't need to wait for 15 minutes unlike the Pfizer one.  So I'm done and very happy about it.

Have you got your appointment for your second dose, or do you book that later ?

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I would gloat. We have legally binding contracts done and dusted and our vaccine stockpiles will come in a timely fashion and the EU can't organise a booze up in a brewery. Surely the EU cannot believe that these companies can just produce hundreds of  millions of vaccines at the drop of a hat. They do have other clients these companies who signed up first and paid.

• Like 2

I have been trying to book at one of the new centres all afternoon.

Its driving me nuts- even more nuts than usual!

One minute it is listed next its gone then it comes back and

it doesnt give  ANY date options.

Twice it has seemed ok and have been able to "book"  both

appointments then when I click confirm it says one of the 

appointments is not available!   It doesnt keep the one that

is available so its start over again - good game good game.

I dont think it is open until Thursday  so maybe they are just setting

the centre up on the listing ,who knows.   Will just have to persevere  - I could end up with multiple injections.