New vaccine

hollyjess

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My darling husband has just informed me that I am acting as his chauffeur this morning.  He has to go for his first vaccine appointment this morning and he is worried that he might suffer some problem that will make it difficult to drive.  I have pointed out to him that millions have had the the vaccine with no problems but he is seriously concerned.  I really don't understand what he is worried about.

Presumably he drove you to Cheadle and back for the trial vaccinations and blood tests?  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kalos said:

Had mine today as well , given card after jab and told they will contact me in 10-12 weeks time.

Good service by all at the Hub .:classic_smile: 

Absolutely excellent organisation and service. Well done, NHS!

• Like 3

Both of us booked in for Monday Morning, second dose booked for Bank Holiday Monday May 3.

Straight forward booking system easy to use,  emails & text messages with booking codes almost instantaneous. 

Well done to NHS for development of this system

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, daveoc said:

Interesting. Reported in the news this morning that a health authority in France is recommending that anyone who has had covid should only be given one jab, based on the fact that hey already have anti-bodies and the one jab will act as a booster.

COVID-19: Previously-infected people only need one vaccine shot, say French experts | World News | Sky News

Sounds like a Gov ploy to eek out their supplies of vaccine to make up for not having bought it soon enough

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

My friend's letter from the NHS to go to a local hub took 8 days from the date on the letter to when it arrived through the post.  Since we have very late postal delivery and having heard of her problem securing a slot (they kept disappearing whilst she was trying to book one - lots of people on the site I guess) I decided to try checking the site each morning to try to beat the post!  You just need to enter your NHS number and DoB.  I was in the next cohort behind my friend so assumed it couldn't be too long before I heard something.

For 5 days I kept getting 'You are not eligible - you will get a letter' - fair enough - it wasn't my turn yet.  But the next morning - it let me in.  I could have had any time and any day for the next week.  So I booked.  Upshot was - I had my vaccine a week before the letter came! 

I was obviously in the system - I had 'gone live' presumably when my letter was released but avoided the delay with the post.   

No problem at the hub - they just asked for my booking ref and that was it. I got that sent via text I think but  just make a note of the ref when you book and that will suffice.  No need to present the letter but helpful if you take your NHS number with you as they need that when entering your details on the computer.  They confirmed my GP practice (came up on the computer) and said they would know I'd been to the hub.  

This worked for a friend too so might be worth a try.  You're not jumping the queue as you can't do it until you are eligible but it may win you a week or so - and at least I found the availability of slots was good. 

Hope this may be helpful to those who are still waiting but think they may be due to be called imminently. 🤞

I had thought similar as our post and local GP surgery slow (altho our local posties have been amazing during this last year). Once the age 60-64 letters are announced as being released I will go onto the NHS site and try to book. Still a while to wait tho.

Can I ask if you got a selection of vaccination hubs or just one? I’d rather go to Epsom which altho further away in miles is a quicker drive than say Brighton

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Sounds like a Gov ploy to eek out their supplies of vaccine to make up for not having bought

it soon enough

In reality it should maybe be a global ploy to eek out the vaccine. There are many ongoing studies looking at whether someone who has had covid actually needs the vaccine as currently there is not sufficient evidence to state whether natural immunity is better than vaccine or how long either immunity lasts. This information could determine how future covid vaccines are used.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I had thought similar as our post and local GP surgery slow (altho our local posties have been amazing during this last year). Once the age 60-64 letters are announced as being released I will go onto the NHS site and try to book. Still a while to wait tho.

Can I ask if you got a selection of vaccination hubs or just one? I’d rather go to Epsom which altho further away in miles is a quicker drive than say Brighton

Thanks.

Yes, I did but chose the biggest one as it's very close by. 

The worrying thing though is that it is apparently being underused - not the impression i got the day i went but something two friends had commented on on different days. Anecdotal evidence suggests  that anyone in the right age band could just walk up and get in - that may just gave been a few times when they were not busy, but who knows.  Our MP was suggesting letting them come down the age ranges but don't know who has the authority to make that decision.  Locally or not?   

The roll out has been amazing but local hiccoughs can and do occur.  In fact our biggest hub closed early several days - a fact which made the press .  This was due to the number of patients rather than vaccine supply.  I just wonder whether this postal delay is causing a hiatus between letters going out and people receiving them and booking. 

I would keep checking - you never know what the supply and demand is at any time in your area or at your venues so you may get in before you expect to.  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes, I did but chose the biggest one as it's very close by. 

The worrying thing though is that it is apparently being underused - not the impression i got the day i went but something two friends had commented on on different days. Anecdotal evidence suggests  that anyone in the right age band could just walk up and get in - that may just gave been a few times when they were not busy, but who knows.  Our MP was suggesting letting them come down the age ranges but don't know who has the authority to make that decision.  Locally or not?   

The roll out has been amazing but local hiccoughs can and do occur.  In fact our biggest hub closed early several days - a fact which made the press .  This was due to the number of patients rather than vaccine supply.  I just wonder whether this postal delay is causing a hiatus between letters going out and people receiving them and booking. 

I would keep checking - you never know what the supply and demand is at any time in your area or at your venues so you may get in before you expect to.  Good luck.

Thank you for the advice Kruzseeka. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

hmm! am I allowed to post cruise related stuff on here?

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24365-royal-caribbean-will-require-crew-members-to-get-coronavirus-vaccines.html    

Seems a logical step to me hope all lines follow.

Not logical but necessary for safety of all crew/passengers onboard and for resumption of normal operations. Especially as many on Royal board would rather not wear mask when they cruise or wear it for 24 hours a day even in the cabins. Look what happened in Melbourne in the hotel the family of 5 and the single person opened the doors at the same to get food and the virus spread from the family of 5 to the 1. Should masks not have been worn in the hotel room if sharing a room at least? That would go to far wouldn't it.

And it is a pretty big line in the sand as saying goes. Though Saga did it put there first though no one really took it seriously. For a major cruise brand to insist upon that is a powerful statement that will be replicated through the carnival grouping and rightly so.

Edited by ace2542

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Not logical but necessary for safety of all crew/passengers onboard and for resumption of normal operations. Especially as many on Royal board would rather not wear mask when they cruise or wear it for 24 hours a day even in the cabins. Look what happened in Melbourne in the hotel the family of 5 and the single person opened the doors at the same to get food and the virus spread from the family of 5 to the 1. Should masks not have been worn in the hotel room if sharing a room at least? That would go to far wouldn't it.

And it is a pretty big line in the sand as saying goes. Though Saga did it put there first though no one really took it seriously. For a major cruise brand to insist upon that is a powerful statement that will be replicated through the carnival grouping and rightly so.

Saga didnt put it out there about all crew being vaccinated only the passengers

Edited by majortom10

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Saga didnt put it out there about all crew being vaccinated only the passengers

Saga also said crew will be vaccinated as and when the opportunity arises and will not be unvaccinated forever. But they don't seem to have much idea how that would work. Royal grouping are working on a plan for this and there has been talk on the Cunard board at least that so called corporate supply might be able to be obtained in the USA. So they may be able to get the quicker cycled Moderna/Pfizer for their staff. Any plan they come up with is certain to be duplicated by Carnival/Ncl group in terms of it's logistics.

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My darling husband has just informed me that I am acting as his chauffeur this morning.  He has to go for his first vaccine appointment this morning and he is worried that he might suffer some problem that will make it difficult to drive.  I have pointed out to him that millions have had the the vaccine with no problems but he is seriously concerned.  I really don't understand what he is worried about.

I just got back from having mine. The nurse explained that us chaps feel the effect more and our OH,'s should take care of us for 24hours, tea cakes cuddles and the sympathetic care that we deserve.🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Thanks.

We live in Woking and when I booked mine through the app it gave me about a dozen choices. The first couple were 5 miles away, then all the way out to Epsom, or Slough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Saga also said crew will be vaccinated as and when the opportunity arises and will not be unvaccinated forever. But they don't seem to have much idea how that would work. Royal grouping are working on a plan for this and there has been talk on the Cunard board at least that so called corporate supply might be able to be obtained in the USA. So they may be able to get the quicker cycled Moderna/Pfizer for their staff. Any plan they come up with is certain to be duplicated by Carnival/Ncl group in terms of it's logistics.

I think I prefer to wait for confirmed information from the cruise lines, rather than speculative talk on these forums.

• Like 4

My husband has had his jab this afternoon.

His experience was very much as described by others. They asked him if he had driven to the venue ( he hadn’t) so he was allowed to leave straight after the jab. It was very quick, he was only in there for about 10 minutes. While he was in there, I walked down to the waterfront ( in Gravesend). I’d only just got there when he phoned to say he was done.

All in all, a good day out 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We live in Woking and when I booked mine through the app it gave me about a dozen choices. The first couple were 5 miles away, then all the way out to Epsom, or Slough.

Thank you. Knowledge before the event is always very useful.

I hope you getting the mollycoddling (word rarely used now) you deserve after being brave after your jab! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Yes but initially they announced that all passengers would have to be vaccinated  before they could cruise with them with big publicity but it didnt include crew. All cruise lines could say we will vaccinate staff when the opportunity arises and we all hope everyone will be vaccinated throughout the world whether they have anything to do with cruises or not. Royal Caribbean have announced it but havent said where they are going to get vaccines for staff as they are not available for purchase by private companies at the present time and Third World countries where most of the staff originate from it will be a long time before their countries are in a position to vaccinate them. Even if Saga stick to their rules and allow passengers onboard who have been vaccinated and they carry it onboard and pass it on to a crew  member then it would spread easily throughout the crew. A big problem. 

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes but initially they announced that all passengers would have to be vaccinated  before they could cruise with them with big publicity but it didnt include crew. All cruise lines could say we will vaccinate staff when the opportunity arises and we all hope everyone will be vaccinated throughout the world whether they have anything to do with cruises or not. Royal Caribbean have announced it but havent said where they are going to get vaccines for staff as they are not available for purchase by private companies at the present time and Third World countries where most of the staff originate from it will be a long time before their countries are in a position to vaccinate them. Even if Saga stick to their rules and allow passengers onboard who have been vaccinated and they carry it onboard and pass it on to a crew  member then it would spread easily throughout the crew. A big problem. 

Perhaps Saga in the interim will use crew who have been previously infected therefore immune for a time and at the back of the line for the vaccine the way Spain intends to do it. Perhaps somehow they can register these overseas crew with UK GP practice and bring in the none brits from overseas. All of whom will do hotel quarantine at Saga's expense then be free to leave, work on the ship and be vaccinated in due course in the lowest grouping and not leave the ship except to get the vaccine and until they are vaccinated to full effect. That is a thought that has come into my head.

Royal on the other hand are facing a much bigger task and ergo so are the P&O and the entire carnival group. What Royal does I suspect will be duplicated by P&O Carnival group.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I just got back from having mine. The nurse explained that us chaps feel the effect more and our OH,'s should take care of us for 24hours, tea cakes cuddles and the sympathetic care that we deserve.🤣

It was a male nurse I'm assuming then zap?

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Perhaps Saga in the interim will use crew who have been previously infected therefore immune for a time and at the back of the line for the vaccine the way Spain intends to do it. Perhaps somehow they can register these overseas crew with UK GP practice and bring in the none brits from overseas. All of whom will do hotel quarantine at Saga's expense then be free to leave, work on the ship and be vaccinated in due course in the lowest grouping and not leave the ship expect to get the vaccine and until they are vaccinated to full effect. That is a thought that has come into my head.

Royal on the other hand are facing a much bigger task and ergo so are the P&O and the entire carnival group. What Royal does I suspect will be duplicated by P&O Carnival group.

Think even if foreigners were brought in and were given free vaccines at the expense of the UK taxpayer even if in the lowest group there would be a public outcry and the press would have a field day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Perhaps Saga in the interim will use crew who have been previously infected therefore immune for a time and at the back of the line for the vaccine the way Spain intends to do it. Perhaps somehow they can register these overseas crew with UK GP practice and bring in the none brits from overseas. All of whom will do hotel quarantine at Saga's expense then be free to leave, work on the ship and be vaccinated in due course in the lowest grouping and not leave the ship except to get the vaccine and until they are vaccinated to full effect. That is a thought that has come into my head.

And perhaps they won’t.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

And perhaps they won’t.

How are they going to get crew vaccinated especially when they have stated that they will only accept for boarding - so we can assume that means both passengers and crew - vaccines that have been approved by UK authorities. So no Sputink vaccined person will be allowed on board as it stands despite that vaccine spreading throughout the world. They have made a bit of rod for their back with that statement haven't they.

• Like 1