The downs and ups of a HAL cruise in one day......

FlaMariner

Just passing along our Friday experience.........

Got an email Friday afternoon from HAL telling me that our October 10 Ryndam TA was cancelled and I'm up for the 125% FCC (yet again)........6 hours later, got another email from HAL telling me that our October 10 Ryndam TA has been moved from October 10 to October 20 and that each of us will get $100 OBC for this change.

I'm going to consider the email that says my cruise has been moved as the one we will follow.......

We went from the depth of cruise depression to high fives all in one afternoon/evening..........

We are ready to "savor the journey" again.

• Like 4

I am happy for you but don’t get it.

Our Westerdam cruise was leaving on the 30th and would not have been into FLL until Oct. 13th and was cancelled.

Yours leaves earlier and is still in place with the new dates.

I’ happy for you, though.

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

Our Westerdam cruise was leaving on the 30th and would not have been into FLL until Oct. 13th and was cancelled.

Thanks Kazu.....based on my experience, hang on and keep checking email...geeze......I'm afraid to look at any future emails from HAL....My cruise may go away yet again.....

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

Because the new dates for the Ryndam cruise has it arriving in the US after the Nov 1 "greater than 7 day" rule expires.

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because the new dates for the Ryndam cruise has it arriving in the US after the Nov 1 "greater than 7 day" rule expires.

And so did our Westerdam cruise.  It started on the 30th out of Barcelona and arrived in FLL on Nov. 13th.

Just saw my typo in the original post.  Sheesh.  Sorry about that.

We're on the same Ryndam (actually, Rotterdam---it's been re-named) transatlantic, and experienced the same emotional swing. The new sail dates work for us, and I'll gladly accept the additional $100 pp in OBC we're getting for the (presumed) inconvenience. The only thing that still makes me concerned is the possibility (likelihood?) that we won't be able to get off the ship in ports unless we're on an "official" shore excursion. That would be a deal-breaker for us. Fortunately, the final payment isn't due until (I think) mid-July, so the situation should be clearer by then.

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

We're on the same Ryndam (actually, Rotterdam---it's been re-named) transatlantic, and experienced the same emotional swing. The new sail dates work for us, and I'll gladly accept the additional $100 pp in OBC we're getting for the (presumed) inconvenience. The only thing that still makes me concerned is the possibility (likelihood?) that we won't be able to get off the ship in ports unless we're on an "official" shore excursion. That would be a deal-breaker for us. Fortunately, the final payment isn't due until (I think) mid-July, so the situation should be clearer by then.

We bought two ship's tours.....unusual for us but bought them when on sale.....curious as to how they will convert.....

Also, I have no idea why I called the ship Ryndam.......Yes, it's the Rotterdam....

10 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We bought two ship's tours.....unusual for us but bought them when on sale.....curious as to how they will convert.....

Also, I have no idea why I called the ship Ryndam.......Yes, it's the Rotterdam....

We’re on Rotterdam with you.  Spoke with my PCC and she said we’ll be receiving a Cancellation notice and refunded for the Tours we booked and will need to rebook them when we receive the new Booking #.  The 20% Promo that was applied when we initially booked the Tours will be offered to rebook them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

We’re on Rotterdam with you.  Spoke with my PCC and she said we’ll be receiving a Cancellation notice and refunded for the Tours we booked and will need to rebook them when we receive the new Booking #.  The 20% Promo that was applied when we initially booked the Tours will be offered to rebook them.  

idiebade.....Thanks for the info about the ship tours......see you onboard!

• Like 1

I also don't understand the differing treatment between the Rotterdam and the Westerdam. My newly minted suspicious side says there is something we don't yet know going on with the Westerdam, or they would have adjusted the schedule to still move the ship to North America.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john2003 said:

I also don't understand the differing treatment between the Rotterdam and the Westerdam. My newly minted suspicious side says there is something we don't yet know going on with the Westerdam, or they would have adjusted the schedule to still move the ship to North America.

My suspicion is that the Rotterdam’s inaugural TA has sold very well and probably at a premier price so HAL will do it’s best not to cancel that cruise and amended the date while they negotiate with CDC.

• Like 1

I noticed references to the Rotterdam on this board. I received an email in July from HAL saying my Rotterdam cruise had been cancelled due to the sale of that ship. Then, following instructions I applied for a refund of my deposit. Have not received any refund or any additional communications from HAL. I called HAL yesterday, no answering on the 1st number I tried, found another number and talked to a person who said she would switch me over to the accounting office. The accounting office "robot" came online and spit out an email address too fast to catch and no additional options. Then tried an email address.

Similar situation with a Celebrity cruise deposit. Called them to cancel a 2021 reservation since that is a debateable situation too. Their rep cancelled for me but when I requested a cancellation code and/or an email for verification and an explanation of when I might get my deposit - I was told they "have changed the ways of doing things" and I would not get a verification and I might get my refund within 30 days.

So, obviously these cruise lines are "maintaining" on deposits. Consequently, in spite of lots of special offers, I will not be booking a cruise until many ships are successfully sailing again. I am hoping I see my deposits refunded some day.

1 hour ago, gullivertx said:

I noticed references to the Rotterdam on this board. I received an email in July from HAL saying my Rotterdam cruise had been cancelled due to the sale of that ship.

The Rotterdam people are referring to in this thread is the new ship which is being built and scheduled to sail next year - not the old Rotterdam which was sold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

My suspicion is that the Rotterdam’s inaugural TA has sold very well and probably at a premier price so HAL will do it’s best not to cancel that cruise and amended the date while they negotiate with CDC.

It has. All suites were completely booked and a great many verandahs as well. I am not sure about insides and outsides. But yes, that cruise was selling very well. I am sure some bookings will be lost due to the change but all the TA only cruisers on our roll call seem to be sticking with the new dates. We have lost a few who had booked surrounding cruises or had other travel plans for whom this new itinerary won't work but not many. 

• Like 2

I’m still wondering if there won’t be further delays at the shipyard.   We are on the inaugural but don’t  like the August dates so for us that would be a bonus.  Meanwhile waiting to hear about the Westerdam,  that we were originally scheduled to do after the initial Ryndam/Rotterdam inaugural.
Curious and curiouser..... 

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I’m still wondering if there won’t be further delays at the shipyard.   We are on the inaugural but don’t  like the August dates so for us that would be a bonus.  Meanwhile waiting to hear about the Westerdam,  that we were originally scheduled to do after the initial Ryndam/Rotterdam inaugural.
Curious and curiouser..... 

I just looked back at Nieuw Statendam schedule and NSD was 'Floated Out' in December 2017 and had her inaugural voyage in December 2018.  That is 12 months later.

Rotterdam was 'Floated Out' in October 2020 and they expect the 'Premier Voyage to depart August 2021!  That is only 8 months for the fitout.

Hopefully Capt Albert will restart his blog and keep us updated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I just looked back at Nieuw Statendam schedule and NSD was 'Floated Out' in December 2017 and had her inaugural voyage in December 2018.  That is 12 months later.

Rotterdam was 'Floated Out' in October 2020 and they expect the 'Premier Voyage to depart August 2021!  That is only 8 months for the fitout.

Hopefully Capt Albert will restart his blog and keep us updated.

As you can tell, float out is far different from ready to sail. Float out occurs when the exterior surface is totally done, and the basic structures of the interior is assembled. But the ship is far from complete. The next key landmark will be sea trials. I would think those will come in the next month or 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As you can tell, float out is far different from ready to sail. Float out occurs when the exterior surface is totally done, and the basic structures of the interior is assembled. But the ship is far from complete. The next key landmark will be sea trials. I would think those will come in the next month or 3.

Nieuw Statendam Sea Trials commenced August 10, 2018.  So, Float Out to Sea Trials was 8 months and Sea Trials to Inaugural Voyage was 4 months.

Koningsdam Float Out was March 2015, Sea Trials January 2016, Maiden Voyage April 2016.

All I am saying is that 8 months for a fit out seems very short, taking into consideration the problems that may have been caused by Covid in Italy.  I would be 50/50 on a delay to that August sail date.

I truly hope I am wrong!

• Like 1

Got an apology email yesterday from HAL regarding the off again, on again email communications.... RE: our Rotterdam TA.....

Looks like more info is forthcoming by 12/8.....

"you or your travel advisor will receive an updated Booking Confirmation with the updated itinerary by December 8, 2020."

We are thankful the cruise is still on.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1