Explorer in South America

Gilly

Thanks to a kind tip off on FB yesterday, we managed to record programme 1 in Series 4 of Mighty Cruise Ships on Quest/Discovery+ channel last evening.  Having just watched it, both dh and I are having serious cruise withdrawal symptoms and really really wish we had a cruise to look forward to in the New Year.  I recognised few of the staff on board and think it was filmed on board Explorer last year, between San Antonio, Chile and Punta Arenas, Costa Rica.  Worth watching if you can get it on catch up here in the UK or if you happen to be able to track it down elsewhere in the world.  Unlike other programmes in similar vein, this was a well balanced insight to the workings of the ship and though there was reference to the Regent Suite, it did not focus on the "luxury" aspects and the price of everything.  For me, that alone made it a winner 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

We were on board during the filming so we are anxious to see the show. Any idea when and where we'll be able to view it in the US?

I'm not sure - I'm in the UK and it was shown on one of our Freeview channels.  Perhaps an internet search would offer the answer - a quick search here suggests maybe the Smithsonian channel?  I hope you find it and can enjoy reliving your cruise - we enjoyed it very much!

On 11/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, Gilly said:

Thanks to a kind tip off on FB yesterday, we managed to record programme 1 in Series 4 of Mighty Cruise Ships on Quest/Discovery+ channel last evening.  Having just watched it, both dh and I are having serious cruise withdrawal symptoms and really really wish we had a cruise to look forward to in the New Year.  I recognised few of the staff on board and think it was filmed on board Explorer last year, between San Antonio, Chile and Punta Arenas, Costa Rica.  Worth watching if you can get it on catch up here in the UK

Thanks for the heads up, @Gilly

Thought we had missed this but it looks like it is being repeated in the UK this coming Sunday, 29th:

Quest (Freeview 12), 6pm - 7pm

Quest+1 (Freeview 69), 7pm -8pm

Looking forward to watching 🙂 ................. but would rather be on board 😎

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

....... but would rather be on board 😎

Oh, you and me both @flossie009!   Hope you can catch the programme.  I think it's the sort of thing which will keep popping up here and there for quite some time, though probably under the radar mostly.  I was grateful to the person who highlighted it so we could record it, because it's not a channel we would usually scan.

7 hours ago, greykitty said:

I'm showing Koningsdam as season 3, Ep 1 on December 1, followed on December 8 by Viking Long Ship Gefjon - I've got Xfinity, Smithsonian Channel, Chicago area.  Be interesting to see what pops up!

You need series 4

Keep an eye out for Topcat and her husband and the end of the programme, dinning in their suite

Edited by beaujolais
edit
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, Gilly said:

Unlike other programmes in similar vein, this was a well balanced insight to the workings of the ship

Recorded the programme on Explorer last night.

We enjoyed it. A good account of the ship, some of its key staff and the ports visited ............ without too much hyperbole in the narration.

We are due to join Explorer in Hong Kong next March; still hopeful but will not be surprised if the inevitable cancellation occurs 🤨

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

A good account of the ship, some of its key staff and the ports visited ............ without too much hyperbole in the narration.

I couldn’t agree more and would say that it was great for Regent. 

Flossie, March may not happen but hopefully cruising resumes soon in the way that we used to enjoy it. 

• Like 3

The lack of hyperbole and all round understatement was, I think, what painted an accurate picture of the service we know and love.  No flashiness, just a solid, professional all round approach from everyone involved.  It really made both of us long for the happy times on board to resume.  Who knows when?  It will be worth waiting for, though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I am very surprised that Regent UK and their agents did not advertise the programme before it aired ................ or did I miss that.

I am surprised too. I didn’t se anything either. Maybe they weren’t informed about the scheduling. 

7 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

I am surprised too. I didn’t se anything either. Maybe they weren’t informed about the scheduling. 

Travel documentaries are not high priority now: seen as a bit toxic, as people cannot travel

Like travel magazines in UK ' Sunday Times travel' which have gone to the wall !!