The Daily for Thursday Dec 3, 2020

richwmn

Good morning, all! I am thankful indeed to have a roof over my head in this cold weather. I made a botanical print gift yesterday. Today DH has requested a tortiere, a nod to his childhood in Quebec. The pastry was made yesterday, and the filling is being made this morning. That will have it ready for tonight’s supper. @StLouisCruisersyour stockings are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. @ger_77you make La Surprise de Ice Cave sound very high end. I will look for it when we finally get to a Pinnacle Grill again. 
The day pictures I’ve started posing are the elevator mats from the Amsterdam. They were taken during the final week of the 2020 GWV. We were slowly sailing from Cairns to Perth, as Australia alternately granted and denied permission to debark passengers. I wonder if those mats are still in use, or if her new owner does something else with the elevator floors? Happy Thursday!

2A4057EB-ACF9-425D-85C6-02EA8D49CE33.jpeg

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have a feeling cataract surgery is in my future... 

While I hope not, Ann but, if it of help, DH had cataract surgery this year and it really isn’t that bad at all 😉.  Now he says he can see through walls 😂 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

While I hope not, Ann but, if it of help, DH had cataract surgery this year and it really isn’t that bad at all 😉.  Now he says he can see through walls 😂 

My mom had cataract surgery a couple of months ago (it was originally scheduled for May, but COVID changed that).   Now she says she has to do more cleaning because she can SEE the dust in her house.😃

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al! 
@StLouisCruisers  I am enthralled by those stockings!  I had embroidered stockings when my children were younger and had done embroidery and wall hangings for them.  I bought a crossstitch for my first grandchild but was too intimidated.  Might have to take a second look. 

All three of my young granddaughters have taken to knitting. They have taught themselves by YouTube and do hand knitting using their hands and arms as knitting needles.  They have made several blankets.  So cool to see a resurgence in these handcrafts. 

Our numbers are just nasty but the weather is pleasant so out I go! 

• Like 14

Good morning all!

We are certainly thankful for our (relatively new) roof over our heads especially after all the rain and wind we've had this fall.  The meal sounds good, but I have a turkey breast defrosting for our dinner tonight.  Having gone to the ocean for Thanksgiving, we didn't get any leftovers so this sounds pretty darn good right now.

@StLouisCruisersagain, your Christmas stockings are stunning and I agree about the Gold Collection!  Best ever, I love their selection!  Also agree about Sit 'n Stitch groups on cruises.  Especially for longer cruises.  18-count???  Oh my gosh, you must have good eyes!  Right now I'm working on a 16-count (usually do 14) and need the magnifying light I bought 😉  

@summer slopewhat ship is your October Med cruise?  We're booked on the Westerdam from Sept. 24-Oct. 30.  

We're worrying about a cousin who is in the hospital.  She's only 40, had a kidney transplant last year and her body is rejecting it. 😞  She waited 4 years for the kidney and was doing so well, it's all very sad.  She has many other health problems too, including Lupus so it's been a rough road for her.

Roy, since this will be a long drawn-out crisis, don't feel you need to add her to the Care List, but prayers would be appreciated. 🙂  

• Like 8

We will use up the last of the turkey in a hot dish (casserole to non-Minnesotans) for diner tonight. 

I am waiting on a call from our PCC to book cruises for next November and Spring 2022. 

Our lake is freezing over so the geese are walking on water!

1109390370_20201202_152924(2).thumb.jpg.083b0fed8637d0cc2b06d9835282979f.jpg

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you to all the Dailyites for your pictures and posts and contributions. Sometimes I don’t post but read all the posts and it really brightens my day. 

Thank you for your list Roy @rafinmd.  I read the post about your brother and wanted to tell you that I also have conflicts with my brother. We are not very close (relationship wise and distance wise) , thank goodness. When he calls me I put on a smile and change the subject when he starts talking about something that I don’t want to talk about. If he persists I tell him honestly that I disagree and don’t want to talk about that. Anyway, my prayers are with you. 

The weather today is chilly and windy. But it’s supposed to be really nice this weekend. 

Well I need to get busy. Today is my book club Zoom meeting and I am behind on reading so need to catch up. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We're worrying about a cousin who is in the hospital.  She's only 40, had a kidney transplant last year and her body is rejecting it. 😞  She waited 4 years for the kidney and was doing so well, it's all very sad.  She has many other health problems too, including Lupus so it's been a rough road for her.

Roy, since this will be a long drawn-out crisis, don't feel you need to add her to the Care List, but prayers would be appreciated. 🙂 

I'll kind of hold this in reserve for days when the care list isn't super busy.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

@portofrome do you have a recommendation for a hotel in civitavecchia?

Well, I'm not portofrome, but we stayed at Alibrandi Palace in 2019 prior to boarding Prinsendam.  It's a small local hotel, great location, interesting rooms, very helpful host.  We'd stay there again without a second thought1

• Like 4

Good afternoon, hope everyone is having a good day. Thank you all for our Daily dash of normality and community. We extend our prayers for those who have a need, and our cheers to those who have a cause.

We are trying to get into the Holiday swing here. We already exchanged gifts, Lori gave me a new roof and gutters, and I gifted her with new windows and exterior trim. And just to show just how wild and romantic I can be, she was thrilled when she received a clean bill of health report from the furnace repairman! Some fellers just can't be contained...

Around here the virus counts have been steadily rising. The hospitals in our area have been at max ICU capacity for a month now, so we've redoubled our efforts to remain indoors and isolate as much as possible. So it brought us joy this morning to receive some visitors.

1.thumb.JPG.a7521d4f4e10b96d1eeb8cf5979a1bf2.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.bf53c222033fcb0bc0173b66b8d541e0.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.60e1b27fae7dc2dfe2f45435a9e13ddf.JPG

4.thumb.jpg.546637132da8df95ff5498b94981d1fa.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.36c03e4c9a1cc6ecdc1524d15a04be5e.jpg

At one time there were half a dozen pairs vying for the same spots in the mulberry tree in the front yard. They certainly injected some color into our white and grey world 🙂

Everyone please stay safe and healthy. It is beginning to look like a light at the end of the tunnel is finally (possibly) within sight. Patience and consideration for just a while longer might finally get us out from under this horrible cloud.

Lori & George

• Like 16

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

My mom had cataract surgery a couple of months ago (it was originally scheduled for May, but COVID changed that).   Now she says she has to do more cleaning because she can SEE the dust in her house.😃

That will definitely be a drawback to the surgery!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@VintageGeo What wonderful pictures!   Wow!  Just Wow!

I love the pictures of counted cross stitch and other crafts.  What a talented crew we have!  I have done quilting in the past.  Nothing on tap right now, but I should go get some fabric for the winter.  

Yesterday's fun was filling in holes in the wall from nails and such.   Today I am sanding the repair spots.   I have to spread the fun out.  

COVID is running wild here right now.  Our positivity rate is over 15% and we are once again talking about alternative sites for hospital patients.   Already most hospitals are suspending elective surgeries due to the number of COVID patients they have and one has had to bring in a refrigerated truck because the morgue is over run.  I'm doing my part as well as I can by staying home and only going out for necessities.   If only others would do the same.  

The quilt in the picture is one I did for my parents for their 55th anniversary.  

IMG_0457.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, VintageGeo said:

Good afternoon, hope everyone is having a good day. Thank you all for our Daily dash of normality and community. We extend our prayers for those who have a need, and our cheers to those who have a cause.

We are trying to get into the Holiday swing here. We already exchanged gifts, Lori gave me a new roof and gutters, and I gifted her with new windows and exterior trim. And just to show just how wild and romantic I can be, she was thrilled when she received a clean bill of health report from the furnace repairman! Some fellers just can't be contained...

Around here the virus counts have been steadily rising. The hospitals in our area have been at max ICU capacity for a month now, so we've redoubled our efforts to remain indoors and isolate as much as possible. So it brought us joy this morning to receive some visitors.

At one time there were half a dozen pairs vying for the same spots in the mulberry tree in the front yard. They certainly injected some color into our white and grey world 🙂

Everyone please stay safe and healthy. It is beginning to look like a light at the end of the tunnel is finally (possibly) within sight. Patience and consideration for just a while longer might finally get us out from under this horrible cloud.

Lori & George

Love cardinals!  Will truly Miss seeing them in Hawaii this year!  Stay safe! 

@dfish a beautiful quilt!  Love the colours! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

I won't add this to my lists and am not sure which one it would go on anyway.  A 9-year old boy was apprehended in Baltimore's airport last Wednesday just before boarding a flight to Puerto Rico.  He had tested positive for Covid but his family did not learn of the results before they left home.  The health department in his county notified the airport police who were able to locate him just before he would have boarded the plane.  Cheers to the 2 agencies for working together, and cheers to his family who is cooperating.  What's sad is that the test results are taking too long, and prayers for the boy who I'm sure was looking forward to a family gathering but is now stuck in isolation.

I was also appalled at the comment of another passenger who said "The state should ban all travel"  Why should he need to rely on a ban while ignoring the pleas of officials who were begging people to stay home.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the positivity and quilts and Christmas stockings.  I wish that I had those talents. My dear mother-in-law, when diagnosed with cancer, decided to make needle-point Christmas stockings for her 13 grandchildren before she died.  What fun we had shopping with her for the perfect stocking, visiting with her as she needle-pointed, often 'letting' her feed us, and always sharing great conversations.  She finished them all, what fine memories and beautiful Christmas stockings!

IMG_E2558.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I am thankful indeed to have a roof over my head in this cold weather. I made a botanical print gift yesterday. Today DH has requested a tortiere, a nod to his childhood in Quebec. The pastry was made yesterday, and the filling is being made this morning. That will have it ready for tonight’s supper. @StLouisCruisersyour stockings are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. @ger_77you make La Surprise de Ice Cave sound very high end. I will look for it when we finally get to a Pinnacle Grill again. 
The day pictures I’ve started posing are the elevator mats from the Amsterdam. They were taken during the final week of the 2020 GWV. We were slowly sailing from Cairns to Perth, as Australia alternately granted and denied permission to debark passengers. I wonder if those mats are still in use, or if her new owner does something else with the elevator floors? Happy Thursday!

2A4057EB-ACF9-425D-85C6-02EA8D49CE33.jpeg

Hi Horizon Chaser, We did the exact same thing today.   I took the day off work today to make our tourtiere  for Christmas Eve, my husbands family is French Quebec. So I made one with pork only, one with ground turkey only and one with beef and pork mixed.  
Mary87905BF7-EC9A-4568-9989-427FB4D17DBE.thumb.jpeg.f818978ed0d33810fcbadb39a5fbb30f.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Thank you for the positivity and quilts and Christmas stockings.  I wish that I had those talents. My dear mother-in-law, when diagnosed with cancer, decided to make needle-point Christmas stockings for her 13 grandchildren before she died.  What fun we had shopping with her for the perfect stocking, visiting with her as she needle-pointed, often 'letting' her feed us, and always sharing great conversations.  She finished them all, what fine memories and beautiful Christmas stockings!

IMG_E2558.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

Indeed, they are fine memories and beautiful Christmas stockings.  You can see the love there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VintageGeo said:

Lori & George

My best friend from high school lost her mother a few years ago.  Now whenever she writes me or sends a card, there is a cardinal on her correspondence, her mother's favorite bird.  A lot of people have told me the same thing, they feel their loved one's presence when they see that bird.  I love cardinals, too, but for me I feel my Dad's presence when I see a bluebird.  He loved them and made bluebird houses for us to place on our property.  Where I am living now, there are so many bluebirds and they sit on the deck railing every day.  Whenever I see a bluebird, I say "Hi Dad".  I feel like he's here visiting me.  Thank you for posting your photos.

• Like 15

Good afternoon.  I wrote this early this morning, but even though I thought I’d hit the submit button, it didn’t post. So I am rewriting it to be time appropriate.

I guess I’m covered for Make a Gift Day, as I baked the gingerbread cookies  today.  Some of the cookies will be delivered to neighbors once they are decorated, but that takes a couple  of days.  This is a multi day project, but it has become a Christmas tradition, and it keeps me out of trouble for those days — maybe.

All the stockings are beautiful.  I also made felt stockings for my youngest daughter and both SILs.  I gave my oldest daughter my felt stocking, which was given to me for my first Christmas.  Let’s just say, it probably could be considered an antique.

Too many years ago to remember when, my cousin tried to teach me to knit.  Evidently, it was her side of the family who got the knitting  gene.  In the past, I’ve done crewel embroidery and Swedish weaving on monks cloth.

Lenda

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi Horizon Chaser, We did the exact same thing today.   I took the day off work today to make our tourtiere  for Christmas Eve, my husbands family is French Quebec. So I made one with pork only, one with ground turkey only and one with beef and pork mixed.  
Mary87905BF7-EC9A-4568-9989-427FB4D17DBE.thumb.jpeg.f818978ed0d33810fcbadb39a5fbb30f.jpeg

They look fantastic! I looked up some recipes online and I might have to give them a try. How do you save them for Christmas Eve??

• Like 3