Insignia, Will it Happen?

billf0401

Here's a new one for me.  Two physicians on news channels said that the vaccine does not technically prevent one from getting the virus, only reduces the seriousness of the illness.  One can still have contract the virus and transmit it it to others. 

Has anyone else seen or heard about this?

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thread: When will things start back up?

In addition.

Even if it is shown that ALL the vaccines actually do prevent catching the virus and transmitting it to others.

Some of the people onboard will have been vaccinated with a vaccine of 70% efficiency, some with a vaccine of 80%, some with 90% etc.

As long as the virus is a clear & present danger in counties around the world where the cruise ship is visiting, the virus will eventually come onboard, I reckon.

I say again what I've posted a few times.

2021 is a transitional year of discovery, not significant cruising.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

For us it’s simple. If Covid vaccinations aren’t required for all passengers, we’ll cancel. No intentions of participating in a cruise where < 10% of anti vaxers , or those unable to vaccinated, can bring a cruise to a screaming halt with tens of thousands of our dollars at risk. There is always risk, but allowing the unvaccinated aboard is unnecessary risk.

We’re hoping the various foreign ports/ countries leave no options on this matter for the cruise lines.

Well, as it sits we will never share a cruise.

I am unable to be further vaccinated, and I am left with the rather spiteful hope that "I win, and you lose". Yuck.

Rather, I hope I'm allowed to cruise, and as the therapeutics improve and an increasing number of people choose to get vaccinated with increasingly better vaccines, I'll be on board and you'll choose to join me.

1 minute ago, Aulanis said:

If that is because your immune system is shot  and a vaccine would

shut it down completely then this might be of  interest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288

Thank you. Please continue to get the word out about this one.

My situation is different. A childhood vaccine gave me a pile of brain damage and a stack of deformities. So no more.

I do some math work now in vaccine safety--not Covid stuff, paediatrics.

The good news is that vaccines are usually getting safer all the time, and on paper it looks like these messenger-RNA vaccines are starting at a better place, safety-wise, than we ever had before as a starting point. With a bit of luck, in ten years I'll be out of a job.  

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Here's a new one for me.  Two physicians on news channels said that the vaccine does not technically prevent one from getting the virus, only reduces the seriousness of the illness.  One can still have contract the virus and transmit it it to others. 

I just copied this from this morning’s Harvard Gazette article regarding its T.J. Chan School of Public Health informative interview of Dr. Anthony Fauci by Dr. Sanjay Gupta that was broadcast and I heard on December 9:

“Another unanswered question is whether the vaccines, whose trials have shown that they prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying of COVID-19, also prevent people from becoming infected in the first place and, importantly, from passing the virus on to others. It could be the case, Fauci said, that even if the vaccines don’t prevent infection, they keep virus levels so low that they do prevent transmission. Those outstanding questions, however, are why masking, distancing, and other public health measures will be needed even by people who have been vaccinated until we know the answers.”

Edited by CintiPam

I read what I considered a good analogy a few weeks ago regarding the vaccines.

It said; do not consider vaccines for this virus as a light switch, ie. either on or off.

Consider them more as a dimmer switch.

Basically, whilst it's obviously extremely important we deploy effective vaccines to all populations around the world, other countermeasures will need to continue while we move towards elimination and hopefully even eradication. 

This will all be a process; and not a quick fix.

It would seem likely that one of the next huge controversies will be the mandating of vaccinations.  At this time polls indicate that approximately 40% of the population does not plan or refuses to get vaccinated.  Public Transportation, Airlines, Corporations and yes Cruise Lines will have to navigate this...Next year will be Huge for Lawyers as the lawsuits will fly when people are faced with losing their employment or are denied entry or transport.

13 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

That is the impression I was under ever since the results from Pfizer was released. I believe I read it either in a Time article or saw it on the news. 

1 hour ago, billf0401 said:

It would seem likely that one of the next huge controversies will be the mandating of vaccinations.  At this time polls indicate that approximately 40% of the population does not plan or refuses to get vaccinated. [...]

That seems to largely be an American situation.

I'm seeing polling in other jurisdictions where 80%+, pushing 90% want the vaccine.

We can probably get it up past 90% in America if the vaccines comes with a free supersize Big Mac meal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2020 at 8:53 PM, pinotlover said:

Not Bill, but here is an answer. This Board is divided between cruisers and travelers. Put some of the people here on a ship going nowhere eating in the various restaurants and they’re happy. They are cruisers.

I cruise to augment travel. I cruise to see the lands, explore the countryside, eat the local cuisine, and meet the people. I’m a traveler. I’m still mentally capable enough to realize the time clock is ticking away. Oceania puts destiny before you very vividly with cruisers that can hardly leave the ship, or if so only for short controlled stints to controlled environments. Every year of missed travels equals a year of missed opportunities, missed experiences, and missed travel as I define it. The clock doesn’t stop ticking because of Covid.

Very well put, Pinotlover!

Vaccines start this week....Perhaps it is the beginning of a more positive environment for cruising in 2021.  I would also expect controversy with regard to mandates...Will the Cruise Lines mandate vaccine to cruise?  That is a Big Question.

1 hour ago, billf0401 said:

Will the Cruise Lines mandate vaccine to cruise?  That is a Big Question.

In some cases the Cruise Lines may simply be the messenger.

If some countries require vaccination as an entry requirement, and such a country is part of the itinerary. it won't matter what the Cruise Line policy is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, billf0401 said:

I see that WindStar has cancelled all their 2021 cruises that were more than 7 Days....Does not look so good for the Montreal/Miami cruise....

Maybe you have to get off in Boston  or they will cut some ports 😉