Which food on which ship do you remember most??

CGTNORMANDIE

There was a dessert served on the SS France called a Sicilian Cream.  This was a cold pistachio creme brûlée on a thin dense cake of dark chocolate sitting in a pool of vanilla English Cream.  I have to say it was one of the greatest desserts I ever had.  

• Like 1

I am going to have to give your question more thought.

My initial response must be a steak that I was served on Royal Viking Sky the night we sailed from New York.  It was the most beef-tasty and tender steak that I have ever eaten.  

In retrospect, however, was my experiences for this first of its type cruise on that first day influence my memories?  Maybe so.  Maybe not.  Regardless, it was a darn good steak!

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am going to have to give your question more thought.

My initial response must be a steak that I was served on Royal Viking Sky the night we sailed from New York.  It was the most beef-tasty and tender steak that I have ever eaten.  

In retrospect, however, was my experiences for this first of its type cruise on that first day influence my memories?  Maybe so.  Maybe not.  Regardless, it was a darn good steak!

RK, if you remembered that steak then it must have been special.  I had a similar experience on the Regent Sea.  I had a steak that eclipsed all others and I have never forgotten it.  You were experiencing a luxury cruise for the first time and you think that might have been the reason your steak was extra special.  Has it occurred to you that maybe you received one of the best steaks they had and it was purely coincidence that you lucked out?  Your final assumption was correct...”It was a darn good steak”.  

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You were experiencing a luxury cruise for the first time and you think that might have been the reason your steak was extra special.

Yes, I have considered that possibility.  That entire day was so extraordinary for my traveling companion and me.  Even the night before, it was special:  we dined at Windows of the World.  Regardless of the reason, it is a memory that I cherish.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:24 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I have considered that possibility.  That entire day was so extraordinary for my traveling companion and me.  Even the night before, it was special:  we dined at Windows of the World.  Regardless of the reason, it is a memory that I cherish.

Windows of the World was, indeed, a unique and treasured experience.  That was one of the saddest stories from 9/11.  

• Like 1

How about the Onion soup and morning croissants onboard the SS France...incredibly great!!  Or the Thuringia breakfast sausage or afternoon tea with Viennese pastry and violins onboard the TS Bremen??  The mixed grill or English breakfast on QEII?  Breakfast in the YC onboard MSC Divina...simply superb!!  

• Like 1

The Royal Princess Tea that I attended during my Royal Princess cruise was a multi-course event with different teas for each course, commentary accompanied for each course/tea, live string music in the background, and, if desired, Champagne was available that was a bit better than "sparkling wine".  Enough food was served that it was almost a meal.  I could not complete the final course; a few spoonfuls and I knew:  it was time to quit!.  

It was an extra cost event of only a few dollars and was held in a lounge next to the Atrium. Not the most elegant of settings.  But, it worked!  And, worked well for this cruiser!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Royal Princess Tea that I attended during my Royal Princess cruise was a multi-course event with different teas for each course, commentary accompanied for each course/tea, live string music in the background, and, if desired, Champagne was available that was a bit better than "sparkling wine".  Enough food was served that it was almost a meal.  I could not complete the final course; a few spoonfuls and I knew:  it was time to quit!.  

It was an extra cost event of only a few dollars and was held in a lounge next to the Atrium. Not the most elegant of settings.  But, it worked!  And, worked well for this cruiser!

WOW RK...sounds like “A High Tea” as opposed to an Afternoon Tea.  I like the strings in the background.  Too bad they didn’t pick a better room.  A Hight Tea is more like a complete meal.  Can you remember what they served?

It would be churlish to mention the company ... but it was a ‘luxury’ line.

Sat down with a salad and a caterpillar crawled out from under a piece of lettuce.

I didn’t make a fuss but discreetly mentioned it to the MD ... and with minutes the executive chef was at the table apologising 🤭

On 12/20/2020 at 11:39 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Can you remember what they served?

Specific items other than scones with clotted cream and jam and the final course which was called "The Queen of Puddings".  Whatever that was, in truth.  It seemed to me to be more of a souffle with sauce of some type.  I was so satiated by that point in time that I ate no more than a few bites of the this course.  Was not impressed by this "Queen" is what I remember. 

It was the different teas and items served, the service, the commentary, the ambiance that helped to make this Princess Tea to be an elevated experience.    

Holding it in an area that was next to the Atrium proved not to be a negative in my opinion.  

One of the things that I witnessed was a family whose children accompanied their parents for the tea.  These young people knew how to properly behave in such a setting.  They seemed to enjoy the event.  I was pleased to see that.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

It would be churlish to mention the company ... but it was a ‘luxury’ line.

Sat down with a salad and a caterpillar crawled out from under a piece of lettuce.

I didn’t make a fuss but discreetly mentioned it to the MD ... and with minutes the executive chef was at the table apologising 🤭

As the title of this thread is “Most Memorable Meals” I believe this qualifies.  Do tell us what ship you were on?  Although I suppose “It Happens” no matter where you dine.  This gives me another idea for a new thread...LOL. 

As you say ... it could happen anywhere so I put it down to experience. No need to embarrass anyone. I did get an email from the company after I got home.

I am sure that some folk would have ‘kicked off’ and made a made a major fuss .... 

I have had worse food in my time at sea 😏

New thread? This wouldn’t really fit into anything vegan related 🤭

Well which food on which ship ??

Well it was a dinner    Crown Grill on Golden Princess.

started with prawns  . wonderful steak with pepper sauce cooked perfectly.. great potatoes wedges...with a great bottle of shiraz..... finishing with a dessert tasting plate

Overall a great dinner it was the complete package food, wine and great service

That was on our last cruise in Dec 2019.... also the bottle of wine was payed by our TA... and there was no surcharge for dinning either 

SO all the food was great....  but what make it stand out ...was everything was great... from the moment we walked in...

Cheers Don

23 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Well which food on which ship ??

Well it was a dinner    Crown Grill on Golden Princess.

started with prawns  . wonderful steak with pepper sauce cooked perfectly.. great potatoes wedges...with a great bottle of shiraz..... finishing with a dessert tasting plate

Overall a great dinner it was the complete package food, wine and great service

That was on our last cruise in Dec 2019.... also the bottle of wine was payed by our TA... and there was no surcharge for dinning either 

SO all the food was great....  but what make it stand out ...was everything was great... from the moment we walked in...

Cheers Don

This makes me hope for a return to cruising sooner than later.  When I think of all the perfect meals we have enjoyed onboard ship.  There is nothing better than a perfect meal while on a ship.  The Normandie Specialty Restaurant onboard the Celebrity Summit was another perfect dinner I recall.  We were a party of 7 and I was able to secure the wine room.  We had a great dinner with 4 bottles of excellent wine and finished with a dessert of Bombe Normandie, cheese and port...just superb...sighhhhh.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

This makes me hope for a return to cruising sooner than later.  When I think of all the perfect meals we have enjoyed onboard ship.  There is nothing better than a perfect meal while on a ship.  The Normandie Specialty Restaurant onboard the Celebrity Summit was another perfect dinner I recall.  We were a party of 7 and I was able to secure the wine room.  We had a great dinner with 4 bottles of excellent wine and finished with a dessert of Bombe Normandie, cheese and port...just superb...sighhhhh.

I think we have hit the nail on the head.... even with the best food... the best dinner,, has ro have more.great surrounding, ambiance, service and good conversation   

( of without saying good wine ) 

cheers Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I think we have hit the nail on the head.... even with the best food... the best dinner,, has ro have more.great surrounding, ambiance, service and good conversation   

( of without saying good wine ) 

cheers Don

So true Don...the really great meals include all the above.  I have always believed that you can’t beat the romance of a great liner at sea or in a romantic port.  It surpasses any land based restaurant...IMHO.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

So true Don...the really great meals include all the above.  I have always believed that you can’t beat the romance of a great liner at sea or in a romantic port.  It surpasses any land based restaurant...IMHO.  

Even lunch on the balcony  on a ship is great

below at a tender port in New Zealand.... magic day....    Cheers Don

lunch_3059295.thumb.jpg.6a6fa693ed062dca6863f13cb1ca9709.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What is the greatest lunch you ever had onboard??

I remember dining on Celebrity Zenith back in the day when the Roux Brothers were advising Celebrity on their culinary arts.  I had lunch in the MDR and they had a dish called “Eggs Fritz Dugan”.  This was a poached egg on a sautéed slice of filet mignon on a grilled English muffin and covered with a cream sauce made from veal stock...superb.

• 3 weeks later...

honestly, it wasn't the food.  It was the surrounding circumstances...

We turned Diamond on Carnival on that particular cruise.  We had a Diamond invite to tour the galley and take a picture with the captain.  I believe that was all the invite said.  Typical galley tour... stiff photos with the Captain...  Follow the people in front of us to leave... Turned a corner, and there was a section of the MDR, set impeccably.  We enjoyed free flowing beverages, whatever we wanted, fantastic service, and one of the better meals we've had in a MDR. 

I'm sure the food didn't nearly measure up to some of the fab meals y'all have enjoyed, but the surprise, the service, the setting... it all added up to an experience I don't think I'll forget.