Reduced ship capacity

Namvvet68

Not sure anyone (even the cruise lines) has a crystal ball.  Vaccines may well prove to be the big game changer but the timing is still very questionable.  Consider that a cruise line may be looking at a choice between a vastly reduced capacity (which really strips profits) or possibly a mandated vaccination policy (all souls aboard must have proof of COVID vaccination) that allows cruising at normal capacity and with minimal restrictions.  In addition, it is very likely that some (if not all) ports will require mandatory vaccination as a requirement of entry.   But then the question becomes at one point could the cruise lines move to a mandatory vaccination policy...(or will it be dictated by the CDC)?  My hunch is we are likely looking at the third quarter of 2021 by which time there should be enough vaccine supply to make a mandatory vaccination policy a reasonable move.  Prior to that time it is anyone's guess.  I am not even convinced that there will be any cruising prior to a mandatory vaccine policy.  Why?  We already know (from the experience in Europe) that testing and onboard mitigation is not likely to prevent all cases of COVID.  Can the cruise industry even survive a few cruises with COVID?  That is a big question.  In Europe, with more then 165 COVID cases nearly all cruising has been again shut down.  And we should consider that Europe was using very strict protocols (and lots of testing) and still failed.

Hank

With the large percentage of people who have been queered on the vaccine, I think the CDC will be looking at things they can do to incentivize vaccinations.  One of those incentives from the CDC could just be requiring proof of vaccination to sail for a while.  This way, if you want to cruise again, get the vaccine.  If you don't get the vaccine you can't sail.  Maybe even put more vaccine requirements in other areas of daily life, travel, entering National Parks, incentivize local and state governments to require vaccines to enter public spaces like parks, schools etc...

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

This way, if you want to cruise again, get the vaccine.  If you don't get the vaccine you can't sail.  Maybe even put more vaccine requirements in other areas of daily life, travel, entering National Parks, incentivize local and state governments to require vaccines to enter public spaces like parks, schools etc...

Daniel, I think the gov’t will strongly encourage use of the vaccine.  I do not think the gov’t can order you to get the vaccine, but third parties (cruise lines, airlines, hotels, resorts, even restaurants) can ban you if you don’t have the Vaccine Card.  

I am not sure if the ADA applies to non-US flagged cruise ships, but there will be some people who cannot take the vaccine due to medical conditions.  In light of that, can the cruise line ban such people from cruising? 

Can restaurants ban you if you can't get vaccinated because of a medical condition?  Can the restaurant owner demand proof of your medical condition, without violating your medical privacy?  This is a huge can of worms!

2 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Daniel, I think the gov’t will strongly encourage use of the vaccine.  I do not think the gov’t can order you to get the vaccine, but third parties (cruise lines, airlines, hotels, resorts, even restaurants) can ban you if you don’t have the Vaccine Card.  

I am not sure if the ADA applies to non-US flagged cruise ships, but there will be some people who cannot take the vaccine due to medical conditions.  In light of that, can the cruise line ban such people from cruising? 

Can restaurants ban you if you can't get vaccinated because of a medical condition?  Can the restaurant owner demand proof of your medical condition, without violating your medical privacy?  This is a huge can of worms!

Many countries already require you to have certain vaccines like yellow fever or typhoid to enter their countries 

14 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

The ADA does not cover all medical conditions.  The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.  So merely because someone has an underlying medical condition that doesn't in itself qualify a person for coverage under ADA.

Actually, there are US Supreme Court cases which have upheld Government's right to mandate all persons to be vaccinated in order to stop an epidemic.  There are also court cases where the government is permitted to require proof of vaccination in order to participate in an activity such as a child entering a public school.

As far as a restaurant requiring proof of vaccination, it wouldn't be a violation of privacy as the patron either volunteers the information or doesn't enter the restaurant.

There is a very interesting in-depth discussion of this topic on the following thread.  The vaccine discussion starts in the middle of page three.

Princess messages the new cruising guidelines. - Page 5 - Oceania Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 1